Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Re: Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
OK....but with no pics of the injuries, they don't count Can't you turn the seat 90 degrees (back against the wall)? Even if it means modifying the leg to set on the wheelhouse on one side?

Smitty
LOL...yea but do you really want a photo of my left ass cheek?

I like the idea of turning the seat but I already commited to the bench that I built & don't have the space to turn it.

This was built from some nice heavy duty retail shelf supports we got in an auction we won a while back. The shelves are 1" thick pine that we are going to use for flooring for our cabin & if there isn't enough pine to do a room the wood will be used for the floor in the bus!
This bench is for my computer, the shipping table & also to photograph auction items on. The shelf below is for my battery bank, inverter & charge controller. I am polyurethaning the wood surfaces tonight. I also decided to build a dash shelf for my high tech Sony stereo which will do fine for now... I need to find out if there is a 12V adapter I can use for this radio, it doesn't have a 1/8" adapter plug, just the standard 2 prong radio plug or I can use D cell batteries. Anyway, this shelf will be suspended on stainless risers if I can figure out how to attach them without too much hassle.

I got to use my router for the first time which was a treat as I had never used one before!

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadpuppy
you might consider using a bungie cord somehow to loosely "lock" the seat down when being used. Also, putting some kind of fold down panel to cover the steps would give the passenger a more comfortable place to put their feet, as well as preventing step rolling. Maybe combine the two so that when the step cover is down, the seat is down, and when you lift one the other automatically goes up. I'm sure there's a way to make that happen safely.

Sorry to hear about the injuries. I like how you got that mounted. I hope I can do a similar install when I get a round tuit.

jim
Howdy Jim! I like the idea of the floor drop & seat combo... I might consider fabricating something, thanks! I am fortunate to be tall & when I sit in the seat I have no problem resting my feet across the stairs but my wife needs something else for her to be comfy since she can't reach...
Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
LOL...yea but do you really want a photo of my left ass cheek?
Naw.....just wanted to see if you'd post it

Smitty
LOL!!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #84
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22

Nice bus , it seems to be coming on alog fairly quick too . I can't give much advice, but maybe if hubby ever gets this one back to running he can come on and help .
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 AM   #85
Bus Nut

I dont think a picture of your ass is going to scare me any, I've already seen Tim's Finger...

...That was scary!
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #86
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat
Nice bus , it seems to be coming on alog fairly quick too . I can't give much advice, but maybe if hubby ever gets this one back to running he can come on and help .
Thanks! So what is the status of your bus? Why is it not running or whats it need?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #87
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
I dont think a picture of your ass is going to scare me any, I've already seen Tim's Finger...

...That was scary!
Hmmm...Tim? Who is Tim? I think I need to see "the finger"!
My injuries are nothing gore related but many bruises that just slow me down to a crawl which is agrevating... but I am feeling better these days.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #88
Bus Nut

OW OW OOOWWW! Timbuks finger is disgusting! Ok, I have no say in gore comparison.... That is nasty! Poor guy....
Old 08-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #89
Bus Nut

I said that he should put a warning before the picture!!!
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #90
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
I said that he should put a warning before the picture!!!
No doubt, that is really disgusting...almost revolting!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 PM   #91
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

cant wait to see buster in person tomorrow man. looking forward to it. now im gonna go look at that timbuk finger pic. haha.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Well we are down to 10 days till moving day! It has been absolutely hectic trying to get everything done that we need to... I need to hire a couple of talented folks to help me out!

I have been busy on the bus & have taken a bunch of photos but gotta get outside before it rains (again dammit) to get as much done as I can! Will post updates with photos later tonight...well maybe if I am still awake!
Till later!

Jonathan
Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #93
Bus Nut

Oh we WILL Git 'r done! oops...dun

Well it has been a battery week (from hell)... Picked up the solar battery bank from Batteries Plus. Got four 100AH AGM batteries for $660 before taxes. Normal retail was $279 each but they gave me commercial cost since I bought 4 - score, only $165 each!! Should be more than enough power for our needs. They county uses the same batteries for the solar powered flashing lights along the roadway(turn ahead etc).If I could just figure out how to get those dang metal boxes open without getting caught!

Was planning on starting on building the frame for the 3 panels along with wiring & installing the solar components but was interrupted by a non-starting bus... YUP, pretty much dead & it just was not gonna start. Took the batteries to Napa to have them tested... One had 335 cranking amps, & the 2 others were registering 490 & 710 out of 925... Not good, not even close!

SO I bought three more batteries to the tune of $270 before taxes & got the 1150 CA batteries as an upgrade to ensure I can start this beast in the cold. Went ahead & installed all three, cleaned all the connections, sprayed them with WD40 & only then did I realize, I had an oddball lower cranking amp battery mixed in! ****! So I took it out, returned it & to make up for it they gave me 2 Napa Racing - Michael Waltrip Nascar hats... I wanted them to throw in 4 cables to connect the batts together but nope, I got hats! They are nice hats tho...

So yea... I spent over $1000 on batteries... yikes!

I realized that it was just too easy to see all of the inventory on the sheves through the windows from the outside & that just might be too tempting to a thief & I Needed to do something about it. So I decided to cover the windows with the same aluminum insulation that I am using on the front window as a sun shade. It worked out well covering the rear 4 sets of windows on the drivers side & I left the very back small set of windows uncovered. There is more, but gotta take some photos!

Can anyone recommend a good degreaser to clean all the crap off of the wheels?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #94
Skoolie

I tell ya Jonathan...sucks that you had to buy those 3 other batteries....but they do look good under there dont they. I have been using a ton of purple power. Napa sells it in gallon jugs. Works great, and is water based so it wont hurt the earth. Really strong degreaser. I like it.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #95
Bus Nut

It feels good knowing I won't have battery issues anytime soon.

Wasn't Greased Lightning the name of the car in the movie? Thanks guys, I will try one of these on the wheels... the aluminum is too nice to be covered with gunk!

Well I took Smittys advice (again) from a different thread & bought a cheap motion sensor alarm with wireless magnetic door sensor for the side door. Works pretty well but is cheaply made. More of a deterant if someone decided they wanted to get inside the bus & it does scare ya with the 105db alarm. The only problem with it inside is the bus is so well built it is hard to even hear the alarm outside, unless both doors are open! It comes with 2 remotes with a decent range & all the directions in Chinese - SWEEET!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #96
Bus Nut

I forgot to mention that the bus battery day began with a nice flat tire on my Truck!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #97
Bus Nut

I have been searching & searching for photos of a Thomas Transit Conversion for quite some time & FINALLY found one! I really like how this came out. I think it was just the shell for sale with no interior, but what a grea start!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #98
Skoolie

that looks awesome man. would be great looking bus for ya. love the paint matched a/c shrouds. that is just a hot looking rig. would never guess it was a transit bus.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #99
Bus Nut

I love that door. I wonder where someone could find one like that.

nice looking bus. any luck finding information about the conversion in that search?

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #100
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadpuppy
I love that door. I wonder where someone could find one like that.

nice looking bus. any luck finding information about the conversion in that search?

jim
I agree...makes me drool! The door is really nice, looks like it belongs but no further info. I contacted the website that this bus came up on in the image search to see if they still had it for sale as I want to see more! It gives me some great ideas as to what ours could look like!

Jonathan