Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #101
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Buster

my goodness just a small fortune spent on batteries there,maybe you can run the whole bus off them!Not a big hat fan though.....

timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #102
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
my goodness just a small fortune spent on batteries there,maybe you can run the whole bus off them!Not a big hat fan though.....
YAH..Too expensive...
But I have my off-the-grid power that I have been wanting. I worked on wiring the solar power this weekend (along with many trips to the Depot) & have to finish building the stand for the solar panel frame - & then I can test it out!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #103
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

dude...cant wait to see how well it works man. i looked for ya on fb and couldnt find ya. add me. im at www.facebook.com/bikeforthelight
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #104
Bus Nut

Well today I got the off-grid solar power up & running! Was able to test a light & yup, it lit up!
I don't have much room to set up the solar panels along "the equator" to get full sun as there is a house in the way of the sun but I think I have a good idea that it is working. I haven't figured out my charge controller yet & how the indicator lights work - am confused. I have to shoot some photos to please everyone.

My brother inlaw & I were working inside the bus organizing inventory & packing it & I had him move a plastic bread rack to the front of the bus after he emptied it. I asked him to just lean it against the drivers seat in the aisle till the rain stopped pouring (freaking rain is a pain in my ass). A few minutes later I hear something fall & yep, the bread rack rolled down the steps & broke one of the lower door windows... ****! Its always something! I asked him where he put it & he said 'Up on the jumpseat!' ARGH... I think THIS is why I think I do everything myself...

SO - anyone have an idea what a new lower window might cost to have someone come by & install it off the top of their head?? I gotta have this done sat or mon but really we were hoping to leave on monday...

EDIT: I think after reading this is may have gotten an attitude somewhere along the line... Hmm...gotta chill out! puff...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #105
Bus Nut

Thanks MB.

I forgot I did take some photos but are not up to date...
I added a simple inside latch from the Home Depot to the double doors & it works well. All for only $8.99! I also added a pull handle to the inner left door after removing the assist rails (not shown in photo) which made a huge difference in space in the entrance.

Speaking of pull handles, I added a Cool Antique Cast Iron Coke Bottle pull handle to the bottom of the jumpseat which I was going to also use to strap down the seat but it turns out it is heavy enough to weigh the jumpseat on its own! NO MORE FALLING off of the jumpseat!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #106
Bus Nut

Breaker for the battery bank to protect & so I can shut off the power if needed. $20 at the Depot for the box & dual breaker. Everything is mounted under the work counter...

Mounted the charge controller on the wall next to the jump seat so I can monitor it easily plus it keeps my wire run to a bare minimum waste length. I can hang the solar panel lead on the multi-purpose Coke handle.

The GFI outlet in the shelves at the end of the work counter. Everything is currently wired, just not photo'd!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #107
Bus Nut

Well we have a guy coming tomorrow or monday morning at the latest to install a new door window. He suggested plexi as the new version is extremely strong (very hard to break) & much cheaper to install - $130-150 but could be less if it doesn't give him a hard time!

We are 3/4's the way loaded! Got the trailer absolutely packed solid & the bus is about 1/3 full so far... furniture is next with mountain bikes & more....
Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #108
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
We are 3/4's the way loaded! Got the trailer absolutely packed solid & the bus is about 1/3 full so far... furniture is next with mountain bikes & more....
Check those bearings on that trailer, make sure they have plenty of grease.

I wish for you to have a pleasant and uneventful trip west.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #109
Skoolie

hey man...all the stuff looks great. so when are you leaving? sorry i havent been able to call or come by. are you gonna get to leave tomorrow? lemme know man.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #110
Bus Crazy

Safe trip, fair winds, blue skies, and all that good stuff. I hope New Mexico is all you expect it to be and more.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #111
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

you may need the coke bottle to open the beer when you get there all looks good GO FOR IT! have a great trip timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #112
Bus Nut

Thanks everyone! We are excited & I am ready to roll! I am looking forward to our first road trip in the bus... I will take a bunch of photos & vids along the way... Was thinking everytime I get out of the bus I will take a shot of it!

If we have wifi at the hotels, I may upload along the way!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #113
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadpuppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
Check those bearings on that trailer, make sure they have plenty of grease.

I wish for you to have a pleasant and uneventful trip west.

jim
Thanks Jim... I took your advice (& after reading about the horrible fire to Xtevan's bus) & repacked the bearings today!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #114
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Bon Voyage. Try not to chunk too many disposable diapers onto the nations highways.
Yea but they are biodegradable disposables! That mean I CAN toss 'em out???
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #115
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78

hope none of those diapers hit me on my new /old 76 honda cb550. but really have a great drive and i wish you some adventures but not migraine inducing unstoppable stress! hows that ? a little excitement, no loss of forward momentum.
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #116
Bus Nut

Well we made it to Austin on Friday afternoon but not without some problems...

We got everything ready to go and hit the road & left Sebring at about 4pm on tuesday afternoon. It felt great to finally drive the bus again but about 8 miles from the house the bus broke down... Yea...8 MILES!

After we fueled up at the BP station the bus was giving us problems when trying to start it. I made a few calls to our mechanic & we got it going again. We took off again down the road & when we slowed to a crawl at some rough railroad tracks the bus stalled leaving us in a turn lane to a campground, still in Sebring! Cranking her did nothing so we called Good Sam Roadside Service. They worked hard to find a mechanic to come help us out but none had any parts & said they could only help us the next morning after they got parts... 10 am wed was the soonest...

So Good Sam tried to find a towtruck to tow us 300 yards off of the road into the campground, but its a small town & non were available. By now about 7 hours had passed & I was still on the side of the road, mosquitos where coming out for the hunt & it started to rain. My wife & our baby had gone back to my mother in laws to relax while I waited out whatever was going to happen.

Good Sam finally tracked down SOS Rescue Mechanics to come service the bus! WOOHOO! About 9 hours had passed when help showed up. I figured it was fuel related & they started to research the problem. Pulling the fuel filter off they sniffed the fuel & said - this doesn't smell like diesel... It was red also, not green like it should be.

HMMM... the mechanics realized that someone had filled the tank before I bought the bus with an off road ag-grade diesel that is dyed red, not green highway grade diesel... GREAT, now what?? We thought I would have to drain the tank entirely which would have been a huge hassle not to mention the loss of the "free tank" of diesel that came with the bus. In time they managed to replace the filter (with the correct filter for a 320, use a can of starter fluid to get it running & came to the conclusion that we not only had ag fuel, it was old, bad fuel - the reason for no smell diesel.

When we were cranking the engine trying to get her to start we noticed a huge spark from under the bus (not good while spraying starter fluid). Stopping everything we came to the resolution that all the starter wires were loose, causing many of the starting problems I have been having along with the fuel delivery problems... Tightening the wires & boosting with ether she started right up but did run a bit rough. Next while picking up a loose socket that rolled under the bus Andy (one of the 2 mechanics) noticed something about the oil filters... It seems that they were the wrong filters, so small that they looked to be the same size as what fit the VW Jetta I had!

They had 2 new ones in their rig so I had them install them as the ones that were on the bus were leaking (these were just installed with less than 75 miles on them when we had the full service done). Turns out the gasket seal on the little filters barely hit the machines surface on the engine, not good! So now we had a running bus with bad fuel but we could finally get on our way.

Both of us wired my wife & I decided to go for it & leave. She came to me from her moms & when I pulled the bus into a parking lot to meet up with her it stalled & nothing electrical worked on the dash or ignition... GREAT!

One of the guys crawled under the dash & found it to be a wire that had come loose from the ignition, hooked it back up & we were ready to go!

So to help with the fuel problem they told us we had to stop every 100 miles or so to top off the tank with good green fuel... SO we did just that... Needless to say it took us a LONG time to get to Austin, but we are here! We started averaging about 55 MPH but as we got further along the bus got faster. I managed to hit 66 MPH top speed & averaged 60 MPH. It is now running very strong & is climbing hills like nothing.

Tomorrow (sunday) we are heading out again for NM. We will hopefully be stopping in El Paso if we are able to make it that far, shall see! I will post photos of the trip when I get the chance.

Jonathan
Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #117
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Nothing worth doing is easy.
At least that's what I tell myself when I have days like you described.
Nice job....keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #118
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

What a huge PITA! Glad to hear Good Sam pulled through for you and found a great mechanic service to help fix things.

I guess if you had to be hit with huge mechanical problems, it's best they hit so close to home. Otherwise EVERYONE would be miserable. Sorry you had to endure, but at least the baby wasn't crying and the wife wasn't frazzled, and you weren't all stuffed in that little space with no where to go in the rain.

Things like this must happen for a reason. In your case, now that a couple of good mechanics have crawled over the bus and found the really ugly hidden problems, your family will be much safer and the bus should be able to carry you to your new home with no more problems.

Glad things are picking up for ya!

May the rest of your journey be safe and speedy .
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #119
Skoolie

aww man...shoulda called me. i woulda come and hung out with you on the side of the road. haha. glad your making it there man.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #120
Bus Nut

Well we have been in NM for 2 weeks or so, the bus making it with just some minimal problems but really the trip went well & we have a great running vehicle. We had internet lined up for install 2 days after we arrived but the freaking satellite guys blew us off three days in a row for the install... bastards! In the meantime we met some of the coolest neighbors anyone could ever want! They told us DSL is available so we are now waiting to have it hooked up & Wild Blue Satellite can kiss my ass! We are quickly learning everything takes just a bit longer around here... (sarcastic understatement).

I am currently using our neighbors computer & internet to catch up on business & to update here. I have a buttload of photos of our trip (mostly the bus of course) but do not have the time to upload them as I am listing auctions on ebay as we need money!

I will post photos as soon as we hear from the phone company & the internet is up & running. I gotta admit living off the grid is alot of work to learn but man it is just too cool to know we have no utility bills & there are many power surges & blackouts in NM that we do not have to ever worry about! The solar power I set up in the bus is working perfect & is actually more power than I needed which is a bonus.

My wife & I are so happy with our purchase as the property is absolutely beautiful!!! I love it here! The surroundings are just incredible & there is so much to do outdoors. We have been cooking some of the best meat you can buy on the fire pit along with nightly fires, hiking whenever we get the chance (the elevation is still hard to adjust to tho - hard to breath) & the little Honda CT90 has been a joy to ride around town. I need to adjust the carb for the elevation tho but have no idea how to do it, seems to have a loss of power....

I must go for now but will write the story (small book) on the trip when I get the chance!

Thanks for all the support from everyone & sorry I didn't get the time to meet everyone in Austin!

Jonathan

Oh yea, cool bus toy that will be up on auction tonight on ebay & will end on saturday...

It is an N Gauge Aurora slot car Greyhound Bus track that is from 1968. It is a cool set that I wish I could keep but am selling it for a client... Check it out here - remember, it will be on ebay after 8 PM Pacific time! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MESCX:IT

Here are a few photos...

Getting ready to leave Florida:

Stopped for fuel in Tallahassee somewhere - Ain't she pretty!: