Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Buster

Well our Thomas has made it home & is now ready for all we can throw at her! We haven't named her yet but are coming up with ideas... (it was enough coming up with a name for our daughter)

Our bus project was slightly interupted as we had our first child, a beautiful girl, on Mothers day! Man newborn babies are alot of work.

Our busses next life is going to be a conversion that is different than most. We are using it to move to New Mexico in a couple months to a new property & cabin we bought in a little remote town called Datil. We will set the bus up to carry & store all of our business inventory, house my home business office with complete solar power (250w panels) & propane heat. This bus will stay setup on the property till we get the chance to add on the the cabin & to also build some sort of storage for our inventory. Once we build what we need THEN the Thomas will become an RV conversion!

We drove our 89 Thomas Transit Liner home less than a week ago after having some service & repairs done to it & it really drives nice! It is sooo smooth & has good pickup, almost drives like a Caddillac. I just got the chance to start digging into stripping out what is not needed. Yesterday I had planned to remove the seats, got 3 of the 4 bolts out of the 1st jump seat & yup, again it started to POUR! It has been raining everyday here in Florida and not just once a day... Really gets annoying... So I decided to work on the interior instead. The bus had the route display electronics above the front window & a smaller unit that displayed in the window to the left of the entrance door. I originally wanted to try to get this to work but would rather have it gone & gain storage space. That took about 3-4 hours to remove as it appears they had removed the entire interior panel above the windshield when they installed the unit. Needless to say I could not get more than 1 screw loose to remove the panel above the windshield to get the electronics out so it turned into a bleeding knuckle syndrome...

When I bought the bus they said the AC blew ice cold (don't all used car lots say this?) & needless to say it wasn't hot so I forgot to test it out. Of course it doesn't even blow cold much less arctic. So we decided the duct work that runs the length of the bus - gone as it won't be needed in NM! To think I was going to buy some sheetmetal screws - I pulled out well over 300 of them taking the AC ducts down...This gains alot of headroom along the windows & the roof metal behind the ductwork cleans up like new. I almost got all of it out but it got dark & I haven't put work lights in the bus yet. I removed all foriegn metal brackets, plates & all unnessary objects & items that were screwed into the interior to help clean it up. I also removed as many stickers & decals I could without breaking out the heat gun so it is starting to look less like a city bus which is nice! Check out the only leak in the bus... That blue rubber glove was shoved in a quarter sized hole in the ceiling & the fingers are full of water. Will attend to that next dry day... Thinking maybe a cool police cruiser style spot light on the roof to fill the hole!

Hopefully I will be able to take the seats out this week!

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: She's Home! Still Nameless Tho...

That hole looks like where an NMO type antenna mount used to be. I'm surprised they removed that. Most expensive I've seen for one is $30, and most people just leave them rather than leave an empty hole for rain water. I can see some rust in that area already. At a minimum, you need to get on the roof and put a piece of duct tape over that hole.

If there is a commercial communications company in your area (motorola, etc dealer), then you might be able to get a plastic plug from them that will fit that hole. A little plumbers putty around the hole when you put the plastic plug in, and it should stay leak free until you decide what you want to put there.

Looks like you're making some really good progress. I know how good it feels to finally have it home and be able to work on it when the mood strikes you. I had to chuckle seeing the ubiquitous fan and extension cord to power the fan.

Bummer about the A/C not working. On the bright side though, you can remove most of the extra A/C stuff from the chassis and gain more storage/etc space. Also, that second alternator can be rewired to your house batteries when you do your conversion.

Good luck,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Buster

Thanks Jim, it is a great feeling to have her home & being able to work on her at my leisure
!
I will get that jump seat out & weighed soon for you so I can get an accurate shipping cost to send it to you. Your offer sounds great & consider it a deal! If anyone else is interested in one or more of the jump seats (Jim is going to possibly use one for a folding front seat over the entrance steps so a passenger can sit up with the driver) please let me know! I am always up for trading something & don't want much for the seats, just hate to scrap them if someone else could use 'em & I am always looking for goodies!

The underneath of the bus has all kinds of room & if I remove the AC units (on both sides underneath) I could have a killer full width storage area much larger than the small ventilation holes that are already cut out. I am guessing that all I have to do is start to dissasemble the AC units but the potential problem may be sliding them under the bus to remove them. This beast sits low on the sides & thank god I am a thin dude cause if I had my friends beer belly I wouldn't even be able to crawl underneath!

Jonathan

Here is some more photos of the bus for those who haven't seen it yet:

Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
You can go to a local home improvement center & get a blank-off for a knock-out in an electrical box, measure the hole so you know what size to get (as they come from 1/2"-2" or so (at least at a local lumber co). Get the style with a bar & nut on the bottom, you'll never have to worry about it coming loose (double nut it just in case).Pick-up an O-ring to add under it or use some good sealant to prevent leaks.[/qoute]

Sounds like a simple & easy solution... had to duct tape it in the meantime - more rain, go figure!
Quote:
Nice lookin' bus
Thanks Smitty, it has really grown on us! We like it as it is different than most... Nothing against the skoolies! I lov'em all!

Question... & I should remember this but it has been about 10 years since I drove truck for a living. Are you supposed to give a diesel engine throttle when starting it? The reason I ask is my air throttle will not work when the air pressure gets down to a certain point (50-60 psi I believe). This then makes the bus hard to start sometimes when I cannot give it throttle because of low psi...

Jonathan
Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Diesels are fuel injected so the answer is no for the most part. However, my owners manual does instruct you to give it half throttle below a certain temperature and to hold her to the boards AND shoot either below 0 degrees. Of course I have no glow plugs or waffle irons to aid in cold starting. I have had to shoot a little ether in sub-zero temps, but I think extended cranking on healthy batteries is more effective to be perfectly honest. When it's really cold I do have to feather the throttle just a little until the idle smooths out (~30 seconds), but other than that I don't touch it.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Buster

Our bus will crank a bit sometimes when air tank has gone down but most the time it starts immediately & idles. Thanks for the info!

I couldn't stand the heat anymore so I made a window sunscreen out of some insulation that I had bought when I was working on my '85 C10, that we just sold. Really makes a huge difference in tempurature! Looks cool too

These are 2 of the end pieces from the AC duct that I will use for a template for building into the curve of the roof (how convenient)!

Didn't get too much done today...
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
Bus Nut

mechanically injected diesels like your 3208 have an internal governor in the injecction pump that goes to high idle/max rpm/full fuel position when the engine is not running, as soon as the engine fires up the centrifical force of the flyweights in the governor pulls the internal fuel linkage back to wherever the external linkage or low idle stop is set. this is why when a diesel starts it belches a black cloud of unburned fuel and then settles down to a nice clean idle.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
mechanically injected diesels like your 3208 have an internal governor in the injecction pump that goes to high idle/max rpm/full fuel position when the engine is not running, as soon as the engine fires up the centrifical force of the flyweights in the governor pulls the internal fuel linkage back to wherever the external linkage or low idle stop is set. this is why when a diesel starts it belches a black cloud of unburned fuel and then settles down to a nice clean idle.
Thanks Paul, that helps me to understand the diesel a bit more... I used to drive them but never worked on 'em!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccipriani
Looks like you'll be spared some of the work of seat removal, given they are so few. Those folding seats might come in handy for some sort of convertible dinette/bed.

I have to admit to being a bit jealous...I'll just have to live vicariously through you for now!

Enjoy NM! I mobilized out of Ft. Bliss, the terrain was a TAD different than Florida ("So, there ARE mountains that don't have the words 'Space', 'Splash', or 'Big Thunder' in front of them!")
We will help you find something if possible! EVERYONE needs a bus project!

I like the idea of maybe a dinette/bed... good thought & will check it out a little closer!

I can't wait to go to NM... You will have to take a long vacation sometime & visit us there!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Buster

Well I have progressed slowly but am getting things done... Most of the seats are out, had to cut legs off with a sawzall as grinding the bolts was next to impossible with the seat in the way... That made it a little easier... My 12 yr old niece just finished up cleaning the interior windows for us (nasty after many many years as a city bus). Next she will come back & clean the walls & ceiling for us. Big helper!! The seats I have are embossed in some sort of textured metal on the back of the seat. In the middle Thomas is embossed. I had to save the 3 of these I got from the seats & am going to incorporate the logo above the winshield, covering the access door for the upper route window. Might look cool! I have to add photos of the idea...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Buster

Thanks Big Bird! It feels great to be working on it...

Thats great you just got a bus also! I am addicted already, just hoping the whole insurance issue works out or the bus will be grounded...

The sunshade - I will have to check tomorrow on the brand - I think it is stamped right on it. It is an insulation used for under the carpet, inner doors, firewall & ceiling of street rods (what we used it for) to insulate & help to eliminate any rattles, especially with high-power audio systems. It is a thin foil covering a thin sheet of plastic inside & insulates pretty well. The downfall is you can damage the foil pretty easily. I need to put some kinda tape border on it to protect it better. I made a huge difference in the direct sunlight!

Jonathan
Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-BIRD
Looks like it works well! It's June in Florida and the bus is as hot as a fire cracker...LOL. When I put the alternator in yesterday, I was drenched!
Where in Florida are you located? We are in Sebring... Here is a link to similiar insulation as to what I have... http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=234&cid=76
The insulation is marked as follows; FHC 15/30, (ASTM E84) FBF PACTIV.
I hope this helps you cooool down... Man I am sick of the humidity already & its only June!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Buster

Well I am trying to decide what I am going to do with the main door as I cannot get it to shut without a 6 pack of bungie cords! I am considering using angle iron to connect the 2 doors together as one to make it more of a traditional door but the way they are hinged it might just be a pain in the *ss to do... I really do not want to put in an RV door unless I have to as I like the factory doors on the bus. I guess I just have to start to tear it apart & see what it looks like & whethe I can do this or not... Has anyone else combined the 2 doors as one & added a locking latch mechanism before?? I would love to hear how you did it!

Jonathan
Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
Has anyone else combined the 2 doors as one & added a locking latch mechanism before?? I would love to hear how you did it!

Jonathan
See the thread "New door... would 32" exterior steel or fiberglass work?" We're having a pretty lively discussion about the problem...with photos! MY photos!
I had read the thread above before but the problem is my doors open differenty than a typical skoolie, although I like the simplicity of the idea!... I have 2 doors, both hinged that open outward. I would need to take the left door off of the hinges & the pin it rotates on & then I would be able to combine it to the right door, as one door. The problem I see is I need a good solid latch to close the doors as my seals need alot of pressure to compress them when closing the doors. I am wondering if anyone has taken off a door similiar to mine & was there any hassles to it? I will probably just start tearing it apart to experiment with different ideas...Here are some photos!

Here is a bus I saw in the galleries - Watson 1, similiar to what i want to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-BIRD
I am also following the door/lock thread... I called Bluebird and they have locking/keyed handles for both the back and handicap doors. I think I'll go this route as it will be an easy fix. The front door is still an issue and why I am following the above mentioned thread. I too am contemplating bolting the doors together as I don't like the idea of an RV door, so keep me posted on what you do

We are in Orlando!
I would like to see some photos of the locking keyed handles... Your doors open to the inside & to the front correct?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Buster

Thanks for the link to the parts, I may have to pick up some things!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Buster

Today I found a little time to work on the bus & decided to look closer at the door...
I disconnected the air linkage competely to allow the doors to move freely. I want to keep it simple. Besides, I can't fully close the doors from the outside using the air setup. I figure with the linkage disconnected I may just be able to install a slide latch that locks on the outside & another one inside. This will keep the seals tight against the door & eliminate the whistling I was getting & keep the inside dry.

Well after I disconnected the linkage whch allowed the doors to move freely I realized that the forward door hinge was bent on the bottom not allowing the door to open all the way. So I got out the big hammer & a block of wood & started banging away at it. I got alot of it straightened out but ran out of daylight - will do more tomorrow. After looking at the hinge setup I think I may be abe to combine the 2 doors & use the existing front hinge to support the whole door. This way it will be a much better seal & It will open & close like a standard door. I can also add a nice locking latch.

NOW what to do with the air cylinder that I am taking out...maybe a battering ram!
Oh that reminds me. I need to disconnect the cylinder & was wondering the best way to do this? I would prefer to block the airline before the joystick (controls the door) that is mounted in the console. That way I can remove the joystick completely. Is there an easy way to plug an air line? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Jonathan

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78

well my doors are identical i believe to your doors. i have a 90 safe t liner. ( see gallery "G bus" for photos) an i know what made my door misaligned, it was when i ran it into the gas station on the way home from buying it. hehehe but seriously i dig the transit style and am still very excited about my project, and understandably jealous of the AC and low profile of your bus. The State highway patrolman who did my inspection described it as "sorta like a transit bus, and looks like one but it is a school bus" i think he was basically a member of the general public as his area of expertise as he is a theft recovery guy.
anyway i posted because i wanted to let you know on my bus it is very apparent which is which when i open the fuse panel and wanted to let you know i will be searching out some way to plug my air lines to the school bus sighn and the swing arm, both of which are removed and i think one of them leaks air because in 24 hours my tanks are completly discharged.
If i find any sourses or plugs i will let you know and please do the same if you find anything out.
rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjz5400
well my doors are identical i believe to your doors. i have a 90 safe t liner. ( see gallery "G bus" for photos) an i know what made my door misaligned, it was when i ran it into the gas station on the way home from buying it. hehehe but seriously i dig the transit style and am still very excited about my project, and understandably jealous of the AC and low profile of your bus. The State highway patrolman who did my inspection described it as "sorta like a transit bus, and looks like one but it is a school bus" i think he was basically a member of the general public as his area of expertise as he is a theft recovery guy.
anyway i posted because i wanted to let you know on my bus it is very apparent which is which when i open the fuse panel and wanted to let you know i will be searching out some way to plug my air lines to the school bus sighn and the swing arm, both of which are removed and i think one of them leaks air because in 24 hours my tanks are completly discharged.
If i find any sourses or plugs i will let you know and please do the same if you find anything out.
I will let you know if I find anything also on the plugs - or even the best way to do it for that matter.
I just read your posts. Nice Bus! I have really become a fan of Thomas busses, of all kinds! Although I too am partial to the low profile Transit Liner. I cannot find any photos of any Thomas Transits that have been converted - driving me nuts!

Sounds like you had a good ride home for the most part! I didn't hit anthing but I did get to witness a sweet triple axle, $775,000 tow rig in action when my bus died & wouldn't start at a red light during rush hour.... I had driven it 35 miles from the place I bought it before it quit

Anyway, I think I am gonna use a hinge from the other door to fix the lower hinge that is bent as I cannot straighten it. Should be an easy swap. I am going to do the door changes & combine them soon - am excited to see how it comes out. I may use a door closer like Big Bird used also... I like the idea of it shutting automatically...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Buster

Well I finally found some time to get out to the bus today & got some work done!

My friends are in town from Austin Texas & Mike asked me if he could help with anything on the bus... Little did he know what he was getting into with that open-ended question HEHEHE... needless to say I put him to work!

This is Mike in the trashed bus - still clean...

While I grinded the seat bolts out Mike removed the many seatbelts that were bolted with the thread-lock type nuts (can't remember what they are called) that just didn't wanna come out!

These are some of the many industrial shelves we will be installing soon thanks to a friend of ours - FREEBIE!

Most of the seats are out...what a mess!

This is what is under the seat cushions in the back...

And later in the day she is starting to look respectable!

I figure everyone should show their mug in their bus at east once! This is me finishing up for the day. Can you say Grungy??!

Mike removed the front wall also, looks so much better!

We are going to install shelves from the seat behind the drivers seat all the way to the back of the bus...
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Buster

Who knows CAT engines? I added some photos to try and ID if this is a turbo or not (I am not a diesel guy)... Can anyone tell by the photos if it is or not??