Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2006, 07:13 PM   #1

By-pass Filters

I was sitting in my local Cat dealer waiting for some parts and thumbing through a commercial truck magazine. There was an article highly recommending oil By-pass filters. I have a Franz By-pass filter on my Dodge and it keeps the oil golden clean. It's supposed to filter down to 1 micron. So I went home and searched e-bay and bought a Gulf Coast By-pass filter for the bus. It's a huge thing, but I found a perfect spot right behind the bumper to mount it.
Here is how it works: Your primary full flow filter coarsly filters all your oil all the time. The by-pass filters some of your oil all the time, eventually filtering all of it through a very fine filter. Some truckers get 500,000 miles between oil changes by only changing the by-pass filter regularly and topping up the oil. Different brands use different filter elements. The Franz uses a roll of toilet paper, the Gulf coast uses a roll of paper towels. I'm happy with mine!

dravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Skoolie

Have a link to the bypass filters?

Think Amsoil has one also.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Re: By-pass Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravo
I...Some truckers get 500,000 miles between oil changes by only changing the by-pass filter regularly and topping up the oil....
I've heard up to 100,000 miles, but not 500,000.
Remember though that in the big rigs, they have 8-11 gallons of oil in the pan.
My over the road truck had it's oil changed every 40,000 miles on synthetic oil.
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
Skoolie

Re: By-pass Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravo
I...Some truckers get 500,000 miles between oil changes by only changing the by-pass filter regularly and topping up the oil....
I've heard up to 100,000 miles, but not 500,000.
Remember though that in the big rigs, they have 8-11 gallons of oil in the pan.
My over the road truck had it's oil changed every 40,000 miles on synthetic oil.

Amsoil had a few semi's they were tracking that had over a million miles on the oil, Amsoil says oil does not wear out it becomes contanimated.

I never understood what they do to remove the acids and moisture, in a gas engine you have the solvents from raw fuel that build up in the crank case a LONG road trip will help to boil them out but you can still smell solvents in the oil after a 500 mile trip. Maybe the levels are low enough it dont matter?

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/bypass.htm
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote