Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #121
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Canadian Skoolie Project

Here are some pics of the recent work that I have been doing. I got the breaker box mounted, the mousehole for the power cord installed, and some outlets installed. I put one power outlet on the wall next to the countertop and another behind the refridgerator for it to plug into, each on its own 15 amp breaker. When I install the converter/charger, I will have to add another outlet under the counter next to the converter for it to plug into. Here's some pics...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1202.JPG (187.0 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1203.JPG (177.3 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1197.JPG (190.3 KB, 616 views)
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #122
Bus Nut

I also sealed the windows that I covered. I used butyl caulking (Dum Dum) to seal them to the window frame, then I screwed them into place with some aluminum angle. I then went around the edges with latex caulking, then finished with some sheathing tape (Tuck Tape) to ensure and airtight seal. I plan to cover this with 1" foam insulation and then panel over that to give it a finished look inside. It will work for this year since our bus budget is only big enough to do the outside of the bus this year. Next year the inside will get redone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1200.JPG (186.9 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1201.JPG (181.6 KB, 616 views)
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #123
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
ooh, mirrors? Where did you find these mirrors? I went to a semi truck wrecking yard in Grand Rapids, MI, but they still wanted $250 per mirror head for the ones I liked. Craziness. I will keep my fingers crossed to find some another time at a price I can afford.
Can you PM me the place you found the mirrors you mentioned?
The mirrors with the convex section at the bottom ended up being a little more than I wanted to spend. I think they were around $50 per mirror or something. I ended up getting some 7"x16" heated mirrors with lights on the fronts. I then added a 6" round convex mirror below it. I am actually pleased with how it turned out this time. These mirrors were only $30 each, so I can't complain. I bought them at a Canadian store called Princess Auto. Another option is mirrors made by a company called Grote. Most truck shops can get Grote products. Just do a Google search online for Grote and I am sure you will find something you like. If worse comes to worse, I can always ship you a pair from here.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #124
Bus Nut

Well...I did it! I ordered the power converter/charger for my bus. At first I was going to go with a 45 amp unit so that I could run lights, fans and charge the batteries at the same time. Then I found a great deal on a 70 amp unit, so for about an extra $30 I got the larger unit. It is a 70 amp 4 stage converter/charger made by Progressive Dynamics. I also ordered the remote display so that I can visually see what mode it is in. Here's some pics of what it looks like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pendant.jpg (6.6 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg pd9270.jpg (7.0 KB, 602 views)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #125
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

Hey man, some hooligan wrapped your tires in trash bags.
Wonder if it's the same bozos that wrapped mine in red rosin paper.
World has gone mad, I tell you.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #126
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
Hey man, some hooligan wrapped your tires in trash bags.
Wonder if it's the same bozos that wrapped mine in red rosin paper.
World has gone mad, I tell you.
It's a mad mad mad mad world.

Masking tires is such a pain in the butt that I thought it would be easier this way. Good for one coat, but like Smitty explained, the dried paint flakes off and gets into the new paint on the additional coats. Next time I will be using paper.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #127
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
Just do a Google search online for Grote and I am sure you will find something you like. If worse comes to worse, I can always ship you a pair from here.
I am most interested in these kind of mirrors, if I can't get the fancy one piece units. Still having trouble finding an affordable set.
The front cover incorporates the mount, it looks pretty clean to my eye. Mostly plastic too, less to rust.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #128
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
Masking tires is such a pain in the butt that I thought it would be easier this way. Good for one coat, but like Smitty explained, the dried paint flakes off and gets into the new paint on the additional coats. Next time I will be using paper.
I just cut a large piece out, stuffed it in the wheel well, and taped it once, on top of the tire. They stay for days through rain even so far. Good place to spray test sprays too. I was concerned at first that the sprayer would bust through the paper, but it hasn't happened.
In my project thread, you can see, I just propped it in there and one piece of tape. Boom. I used a clamp to put the paper on the flap too. Lazy, sure. Works though!

Oh, whoops. You were painting the wheels on purpose. I haven't gotten that far yet.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #129
Bus Nut

The updates are a little slow this last week due to another winter storm passing through our area. I am sooo ready for summer!!! I was able to get a #1 cable run (4 feet exactly) from my battery to a fused distribution block under my counter. From there I ran about 6 feet of #8 cable to my 600W inverter on the wall above the counter. In preparation of getting my power converter installed, I also installed a 110V outlet under the counter next to the breaker box. All I will have to do is mount the converter, plug it into the outlet, and run a short cable from the converter to the 12V distribution block. I also purchased another 14x14 roof vent. I will try to remember to get pictures of the install when I do it.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #130
Bus Nut

Here is a picture of what I decided to use for a 'grommet' to get the #1 cable through the steel floor and the side of the battery box. It is standard PVC electrical conduit. The end goes through the metal and has a PVC nut that threads on to lock it in place. The tube is then cemented to the ends to complete the conduit. Waterproof, roadgrime proof, and rodent proof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1208.JPG (184.0 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1210.JPG (181.8 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1211.JPG (174.4 KB, 718 views)