Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Canadian Skoolie Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybob
o0o0o0o Me likey - gonna have to find it when we come through =)

SB
Let me know when you plan to come this way and I will try to explain how to get to that area. It is soooo nice, you may just set up camp and never leave!!!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 AM   #162
Bus Nut

Went to do a tune up on the bus today and found some broken springs inside the distributor. Now I wonder, could this have been causing the poor fuel economy??? I will get it apart the rest of the way tomorrow and try to get some pics of the carnage.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #163
Site Team

Possibly. It wouldn't advance properly.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #164
Bus Nut

Today I decided that I was going to fix my ignition system. I had found broken springs inside my distributor and it was really dirty inside. I talked to a mechanic at one of our local propane conversion shops and got some very valuable advice. I did some initial tests and recorded my timing settings just in case I really goofed something up. First of all the initial advance (vacuum advance disconnected and plugged) was at 6 degrees. My total mechanical advance was an additional 26 degrees, but without the springs and weights working properly, who knows when or how much I was actually getting before I cleaned it all up. This gave me a total advance (initial + mechanical) of 32 degrees. Had the weights and springs been working properly this would have been 'almost' good enough for a gasoline engine, I would have had to advance the initial to between 8 and 10 degrees to get it proper for gasoline. Different story for propane!!! Propane needs more advance due to its slower burning rate compared to gasoline. I was told that I needed to modify the distributor to give me between 32 to 36 degrees of mechanical advance and set the initial between 8 to 12 degrees. Total advance (initial + mechanical) should end up between 44 to 46 degrees. Well....this is a far difference from the 32 degrees total advance that it was set to deliver. I ended up carefully marking and removing the entire distributor from the engine in order to get it cleaned up and setup properly. I changed the mechanical advance limiter plate to provide a total of 36 degrees of mechanical advance and installed new lighter springs to get it to advance sooner. I cleaned, degreased, and then reassembled with fresh grease. The initial timing is now set at 10 degrees giving me a total advance of 46 degrees. The engine idles much smoother, I had to turn down the idle speed screw because it is so much more efficient that it idled higher than before. It revs quicker and smoother, and seems to be quite a bit quieter than before. I took it out for a test drive and instantly felt like it had twice the power. Throttle response is great and acceleration is good for a bus. I am now able to get it up over 110 km/h easily (without the pedal hitting the floor) and once at cruising speeds I am able to maintain speed with a lot less throttle than before. In fact, now I have to be careful to just apply a little throttle otherwise I slowly get faster and faster and end up speeding! Before I had to just hold the pedal to the floor to keep it at cruising speeds. Total cost for this repair...$10 for the springs and about 2 hours of my time, not bad at all! Hopefully this will improve my fuel economy. I will test and report back after our next trip out with the bus.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #165
Site Team

Cool. I bet you mileage will be way better.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #166
Bus Nut

It is amazing how things can change very suddenly. I woke up this morning and went to help my father-in-law replace a video card in his desktop computer. We then decided to upgrade the connections on the coax cable feeds so that they get a better tv picture on their computer. I had all of the tools at my house, but we needed to go to the big orange store that sells fix-it stuff for parts. On the way back we stopped by my house to get the tools and I discovered my house was floating in about 3 inches of water. I started moving my most valuable belongings to higher ground while my wife went to get our shop-vac that we had lent to others who had flooding. I called my landlord and we began sucking up water from the house. We were barely making any progress, the water was entering from all perimeter walls, nothing was left dry! Eventually I made a decision to change our tactics and we stopped worrying about the house (landlord had not shown up in 3 hours!) and we started moving our stuff out to the bus. By this time we knew the house would be uninhabitable so we moved into the bus. I can't believe how much stuff you can pack into one of these things! I guess we are officially full-timers now since we have become very suddenly homeless. This sucks!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #167
Site Team

Sorry to hear about that. That sucks. Did you find out where the water was coming from?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #168
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
. . . I guess we are officially full-timers now since we have become very suddenly homeless. This sucks!
Man, going from the mountain top to the valley in under two weeks. Sorry to hear that. It would be a lot better going "full-time" if it were your choice.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #169
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Been there with flood myself so know the feeling. *hugs* Will the landlord be letting you stay on the property for now? Curious where the water was coming from, was outside from outside the house (rain, river overlowing, etc) or some plumbing gone really bad or?
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #170
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
On the way back we stopped by my house to get the tools and I discovered my house was floating in about 3 inches of water. I started moving my most valuable belongings to higher ground while my wife went to get our shop-vac that we had lent to others who had flooding. I called my landlord and we began sucking up water from the house. We were barely making any progress, the water was entering from all perimeter walls, nothing was left dry! Eventually I made a decision to change our tactics and we stopped worrying about the house (landlord had not shown up in 3 hours!) and we started moving our stuff out to the bus. By this time we knew the house would be uninhabitable so we moved into the bus. I can't believe how much stuff you can pack into one of these things! I guess we are officially full-timers now since we have become very suddenly homeless. This sucks!
I'm not making light of the emergency (I've been through two home floods myself, it always sucks..). However, the Beetles song "We All Live in a Yellow Submarine" got stuck in my head and now I can't stop it!! Oh the puns coming to mind...