Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #241
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Canadian Skoolie Project

We got the carpet in the back room, complete with proper underlay. It looks good and is comfortable to walk on. I found a tent sale at a local furniture retailer and picked up a brand new mattress for the bed, now it is more comfortable than our bed in the house! (Need to go buy one of those I suppose). We took it out for a long weekend trip and everything worked out perfectly. Furnace keeps it nice and warm in the night. The water flows great, no water leaks anywhere except the end of the sink drain out the bottom of the bus due to me not having a holding tank yet. Overall, feels quite comfortable and getting to be more like home every time I do a little more work.

Today I ordered my fresh water tank from a local manufacturer. Its going to be a 345L (64.8 US Gal) tank. That should give us plenty of water for our trips to the mountains. I ordered my black water tank from a company in Manitoba. Its a 39 US Gal tank, I figure that's more than enough crap to haul around. I am putting off getting a grey water tank for now because I can't find one that fits where I want it to go that uses the space efficiently. They are either too short and only hold 20 US Gal or they are too narrow or odd shaped. I need to find one that is deep and fits the space. For now I will just plumb in a cutout on the grey line so I can divert it to a drain hose instead of the black tank. Otherwise it will just add to the black tank and get dumped with the crap!

I also pulled out the awning that I acquired two years ago. It's a 16 foot Dometic Sunchaser awning. It was on my father-in-law's fifth wheel trailer (yes, the one he replaced my bus with ). He had a small accident and ended up getting a brand new awning through insurance. All I need to do is repair a couple small tears in the awning fabric, and replace one arm. I went to a local RV stealership and found a complete used arm for a decent price. So now I just need to decide whether to put the awning all the way forward so it covers the door, or start it just back from the door and cover more windows with it.

jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #242
Skoolie

Looks like you did not put a trap on the sink in the kitchen. If it is just a straight drop into the tank gasses will come out thru the pipe into the bus. Not nice.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #243
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

If you are tight on space for a P-Trap...check out the Hepvo, one way waterless trap. Heard they actually work as well as advertised.

http://www.hepvo.com/
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #244
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipopak
...Looks like you did not put a trap on the sink in the kitchen...
Of course I put in a trap. To keep under the sink area clean, the trap is under the shelf, in the open area where the furnace is. Just above the floor level. Everything fits like a glove.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #245
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
... picked up a brand new mattress for the bed, now it is more comfortable than our bed in the house! (Need to go buy one of those I suppose). ...feels quite comfortable and getting to be more like home every time I do a little more work. ...
Just move into the bus!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #246
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

My bus bed is way more comfortable than the house one too...do what Lorna said and move in
Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #247
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
... picked up a brand new mattress for the bed, now it is more comfortable than our bed in the house! (Need to go buy one of those I suppose). ...feels quite comfortable and getting to be more like home every time I do a little more work. ...
Just move into the bus!
I have seriously considered it for the summer. My work is about a 45 minute drive from home (I work in a rural hospital, but live in the city). There is a nice campground with all the facilities in the town I work in. It's a tempting idea, except then I run the risk of deciding to move there permanently.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #248
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
There is a nice campground with all the facilities in the town I work in. It's a tempting idea, except then I run the risk of deciding to move there permanently.
... and where's the downside to that?
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #249
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Quote:
There is a nice campground with all the facilities in the town I work in. It's a tempting idea, except then I run the risk of deciding to move there permanently.
... and where's the downside to that?
It's a small town. I grew up in a small town. Now I live in the city and can't imagine going back to small town living. I like to be able to run to the store and get whatever I need any day of the week...and actually have it in stock!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #250
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Think of what you will save in fuel! Lots of workers here in our campground. They tend to go home on weekends.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #251
Mini-Skoolie

Late to the party here but i gotta say your bus is turning out great!
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #252
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46

I would recommend moving the converter far away from the water pump. Those pipes work well but 1 cold night or just a leaking pump (cause them things do leak at times ) a burst pipe could short your inverter very well. I really like the build looks like alot of fun.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #253
Mini-Skoolie

Luv this Bus ... What a sweeeet build ... Enjoyed reading about your build ..... The layout reminds me of a older Born Free RV we once owned , we are waiting for our snow to get up & %#>}{^€><~ already . Here in Manitoba .
Please keep posting updates , it's a fab build dude ...

Frodo & the little people
TheHobbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #254
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Read your whole thread, nice work. I was confused as you quoted and replied to a number of posts by Smitty, yet there are no replies by Smitty anywhere in your thread. What happened to him and his posts, did he delete every one?
Also, I'm being told to stay away from laminate flooring. How is yours holding up after a few years of use?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #255
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Read your whole thread, nice work. I was confused as you quoted and replied to a number of posts by Smitty, yet there are no replies by Smitty anywhere in your thread. What happened to him and his posts, did he delete every one?
Also, I'm being told to stay away from laminate flooring. How is yours holding up after a few years of use?
Nothing wrong with laminate flooring, it's what most people use. Just stay clear of the kind made from particle-board.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #256
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Solid vinyl is solid water-proof. Forget any with a wood/particle board backing. Not good in a Skoolie.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote