Old 03-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #41
Almost There

Re: Canadian Skoolie Project

Looking good! Is there anything different about painting aluminum compared to steel? Leslie
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug
Looking good! Is there anything different about painting aluminum compared to steel? Leslie
Yes, I had to use a self-etching trim paint. It contains an acid that etches into the aluminum as it dries. I tried Tremclad (Rustoleum) on one and it didn't ever get hard, I can still pick the paint off with my fingernail. I then tried Krylon on another, it just flakes off with the slightest scratch. Then I found this self-etching trim paint at a body shop supply store and it is absolutely amazing. They told me that a lot of guys use it as black primer on bare metal. I believe it, it covers well and dries extremely fast. Best of all it is very durable and sticks to aluminum like....well, you get the picture.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #43
Almost There

Wonderful! thankyou. Can you then paint over that paint with a Krylon color? Black is not what I had in mind for my windows.... Leslie
Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #44
Bus Nut

I would think so. You can also get self-etching primer in grey as well. Comes in a spray can and is really easy to use. Just check at an auto body supply store, they should have it.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I really like your idea of painting the aluminum window frames black so they look less "utilitarian". It does seem like a bit of work, but I'll bet it makes a big difference. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of how it comes out!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #46
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
I really like your idea of painting the aluminum window frames black so they look less "utilitarian". It does seem like a bit of work, but I'll bet it makes a big difference. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of how it comes out!
It is a lot more work than I had thought at first. Removing those windows is a real chore due to the adhesive/sealant that was used to glue them in. It takes me about an hour a window just to clean the butyl rubber adhesive off the window and the frame, and I have slipped more than once with the scraper and my fingers show it. Last one left a inch and a half long cut about a quarter inch deep in my finger. I avoided stitches because I happened to have some supplies that accidentally followed me home from work at the hospital in my scrub pockets. Cleansed the wound and used steri-strips to close it up. Seems to have worked, but man is there a lot of nerve endings in the ends of your fingers.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

OUCH!!!! But the bus is looking good
Old 03-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #48
Bus Nut

It is coming along. I bought a sheet of white FRP (fiberglass) to skin the windows with. I could only get the textured stuff, but the back side is nice and smooth. I did a trial run with a piece of FRP cut to the size of the window openings and attached it to a piece of 1.5" foam insulation the same size. While this would work well, I wanted it secured a little better in the window so today I bought a sheet of .5" plywood and cut it to fit in the windows that I am covering. With the FRP bonded to the plywood I can use angle brackets to secure them to the window pillars on the sides as well as the top and bottom. I plan to make up the 'window replacements' and have them primed and ready for paint before I install them permanantly in the bus. I have to paint them with a good UV inhibitor because the FRP isn't made for direct sunlight exposure. Few good coats of polyurethane primer and a final few coats of polyurethane paint will do the trick. I had to quickly get a couple windows back in this afternoon. I was painting window trim when fluffy white flakes started falling on the paint. It wasn't supposed to snow!!! I guess I didn't realize how cold it had gotten. Oh well, the trim paint dries really quickly and I just took them in the garage to dry. I would get pics of the progress but it is currently a snowstorm out there. Overall though, I think the windows will look great. I just need to get some 1" foam insulation because of the room taken up by the plywood, my 1.5" insulation I just bought is too thick.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #49
Almost There

What! no super glue? Nice to know how long it takes to get the windows cleaned up, I think I will pass on taking them out if not necessary. Paint them in place... Leslie
Old 03-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Got some priming done today. Finally. Primed the starboard side from the bottom up to just under the windows. Also got some of the FRP window skins in. Here's the pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-4.jpg (165.8 KB, 788 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (159.0 KB, 788 views)
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (158.3 KB, 787 views)