Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Canadian Skoolie Project

I love the dirtbike! Go team green!

$150/gallon for primer?! Dang, you're not messing around in the paint department! How much is your paint job going to cost by the time you're done?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
I love the dirtbike! Go team green!

$150/gallon for primer?! Dang, you're not messing around in the paint department! How much is your paint job going to cost by the time you're done?
I am not sure....don't want to know. The primer is about twice the cost of the actual paint per gallon though. Gloss white industrial polyurethane is about $75 per gallon with activator. It would cost more if it was a different color though. White is the cheapest. I am lucky though, I have a half gallon of dark metallic red and about a quarter gallon of dark metallic blue to do accents/highlights if I decide to. I inherited my dad's body shop equipment, as well as his do-it-right attitude when it comes to paint. In fact I caught myself trying to figure out how to pull off the fenders so that I could paint in behind all of the cracks and crevases. Like it matters on this project!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #63
Bus Nut

I would love to visit Texas one day. As long as you got lots of clean burnin' propane and propane accessories available. In fact, if the way Alberta's health care system keeps cutting back on jobs, it may be sooner than later...I hear there are lots of incentives to move south, especially Texas. We will just have to wait and see what happens with Obama's changes to healthcare and see if the plentiful healthcare jobs continue... Always been partial to Texas for some reason...

While looking for musical airhorns, I found one that plays 'Deep in the heart of Texas'...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Had to post some more pics...everyone likes pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo040101.jpg (133.8 KB, 884 views)
File Type: jpg photo040102.jpg (122.7 KB, 884 views)
File Type: jpg photo040104.jpg (106.1 KB, 885 views)
Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

You're really doing a quality paint job. My poor bus will not see even a dab of bondo. It will be lucky to get primered! There seems to be some debate as to whether primer is really necessary; but I assume since you are using ultra expensive NASA-approved super primer, that you are on the "primer is necessary" side of the debate.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #66
Bus Nut

I find that using a quality primer has lots of advantages. When painting a light color (like gloss white) over various high intensity colors (such as yellow and black) it can result in different visible 'shades' of white. In order to eliminate this you either need to add more coats of color which then costs you more in paint, sometimes many more coats to get the color even. The other option is a quality primer. This 'evens the playing field' so to speak and allows you to actually use less topcoat paint. The other advantage is that it allows you to work in stages. You can prime a side, the roof, a bumper, or any part thereof and know that when you go back to do the next panel, the primer will match close enough to provide that even basecoat. I usually prime, let it sit for a week or so, then go back over it with 400-600 grit wetdry paper to 'knockdown' the mild roughness and get a super smooth surface ready for paint. If I notice any imperfections it is the perfect time to fill scratches that were missed or fix any mistakes. Shoot a little more primer on the repair, fine sand, and it blends right back in ready for paint. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a perfectionist with paint work, but I really want to try to do my part to stop the stigma attached to schoolbus conversion. What better way than to blow them away with a sweet paint job and eventually a great interior to match. Besides, it gives me a great experience for when I eventually find my dream bus...a vintage flxible that hasn't been modified yet. Then I can fully restore the outside and custom build the inside, and pass this one along to the kids.

I started sanding my mirror brackets this morning and the weather was so perfect. No wind, sun was shining, warm. So I grabbed the front bumper and decided to sand it and prep it for a silver hammered metal finish, same as the mirror brackets. After about an hour or so of sanding (it must be one of my de-stressors because it seems once I get sanding, I just keep going and really enjoy it) I ended up with a fairly smooth surface. The million or so rock chips sanded down well and, although not perfect, I now have a hard time forcing myself to cover it with a textured paint. So...I primed the front bumper and mirror brackets with some acrylic enamel high build primer that I happened to have sitting around. 3-4 coats of this primer really filled in the chips and have left me with an acceptably smooth surface. A little more digging around the paint cans and I found some gunmetal grey metallic enamel paint that I may just have to use for the bumpers and mirror brackets. Unfortunately I dont think there is enough to do both the front and rear bumpers as well as the mirror brackets. Dilemmas.... Oh well, for now I will just leave it in primer and get the rear bumper pulled, prepped and primed. Then I will decide whether or not I will attempt to cover them all with this gunmetal metallic or just go get another can. So far paint hasn't cost me much because I have had all the supplies other than sandpaper on hand. Got to love recycling! And yes, the bumpers will be an enamel paint instead of the polyurethane that I have grown to love, but it works and it is easy enough to touch up if (when) the bumpers get dinged. I may also finish the bumbers and mirror brackets off with clearcoat. I have enough clear and I have never sprayed clear before, I want to give it a try.

Pics of todays progress are forthcoming...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #67
Bus Nut

As promised, here are some pics of todays progress. The front bumper and mirror brackets are primed with an enamel primer. The rear bumper was sanded, primed, and painted with gunmetal metallic. Unfortunately I cannot put the rear bumper back on because every single bolt that held it on broke when I removed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1070.JPG (321.5 KB, 842 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1068.JPG (339.9 KB, 841 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1069.JPG (329.9 KB, 841 views)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Here's the rear bumper. There is no way I am taking all the ripples and dings out of it. It is just a bumper after all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1065.JPG (323.1 KB, 842 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1066.JPG (355.4 KB, 843 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1064.JPG (402.2 KB, 843 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #69
Bus Nut

This morning I started working on the bus as usual. I looked to see what was required to fix the bend lower rub rail on the port side because I wanted to get that side primed this weekend. I figured that it would be easier to repair the rub rails if I removed them....so I removed them! I found that the body straightened out fairly well without the bent rails. I also decided that since the bottom rub rails are off I am going to get some aluminum checkerplate and cover the bottom 24" with it. I am going to lower the bottom of the checkerplate even with the bottom of the entry door, which is about 7" lower than the rest of the body. I will then put the straightened (or good ones from the auto wreckers) on the bottom of the checkerplate on the inside to give it strength. I will add braces where necessary on the inside. Overall it will look like I lowered the bus 7". I will have to wait until Tuesday to get the checkerplate. After sanding behind where the rub rail was (which was just primed, never painted) I decided to spray that side of the bus with the rest of the primer that I had. Amazingly I was able to cover all the side below the windows and part of the fender before I ran out. Here's some pics from todays work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1072.JPG (314.0 KB, 807 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1073.JPG (325.1 KB, 807 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1074.JPG (250.4 KB, 806 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #70
Bus Nut

..and a few more pics. The screen was added over the fresh air intake by the previous owner to keep small critters out. I just painted over it, besides it gets covered by the metal intake box thingy anyways. Just needed to paint behind the metal box because I didn't want to see yellow through the intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1075.JPG (284.8 KB, 808 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1076.JPG (312.0 KB, 808 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1078.JPG (271.9 KB, 809 views)