Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #21
Almost There

Re: Chandlers skoolie

So its looking like I might finally get the bus tommorow, kkeping my fingers crossed.
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Good luck!
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
Almost There

Well I finally got my bus delivered last night at about 8 pm. It was too dark to take any pictures so ill probly post them friday night after I work on it all day. I think my goal for this weekend is to check out all the mechanics of the bus to make sure theres nothing huge I need to fix, then I would like to get all the seats out along with the heaters. After that I guess Ill just take measurments and start planning out my floor plan.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
Almost There

I think this is the floor plan I will be following using. I made a few of them and this one seems to fit my needs the best
I did make this before i got the bus though so all of the measurments are all estimates
Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #25
Almost There

Alright I checked out the bus today, took some pictures and a video. The bus sofar seems really solid, though there is a little bit of rust on mostly the back half of the frame but Im not to worried about it. I measured the inside dimensions- It is 7.5 feet wide, and 27 feet from the rear door to the back of the drivers seat. I had tons of fun trying to figure out why the lights would flash and the horn would honk like a car alarm everytime I shut it off, It was that safety chack button on the back door. For anyone else new like me, heres what you have to do. You turn the key off, then immediatly to the accessory position. Then you can walk to the back of the bus( and check for children i guess) and press the button on the back wall that is connected to the door buzzer. You have to hold it pressed for about 3 seconds untill you hear a few beeps from up under the dash, then you can remove the key. I didnt have much time after screwing around with the bus all day so I only took one seat out- what a bitch!. Im going to end up cutting an X in the head of each bolt and chiseling them off.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

Nice bus. Thanks for the pix and video. In case you are interested... you can tell from the V asset # on the front of the hood that the bus was originally a Vancom bus. Vancom was bought out by Laidlaw in 1997, then First Student bought out Laidlaw in 2007. Laidlaw had a decent maintenance program, so if it spent a good portion of its life in Laidlaw's hands, it might end up being a decent bus for you. Good luck with it.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #27
Almost There

Me and 4 of my friends spen about 5 and a half hours on the bus today. would have pulled an all nighter, but had to watch the game of course. We got all of the seats out and probably %75 of the rubber floor out, there is no plywood in my bus. After so many different techniques on getting the seats out, the best method we found was to cut into each bolt head horizontally, as if you were trying to cut it off flush with the floor, but only cut in about half way. then we just hit them all with the impact gun and all the heads popped right off. It worked really well. the rubber floor was simple, just used a prybar and a hammer to get the metal strips off. We did have one accident though, a broken window. things got a little heated in that bus with five guys in it. All in all very good day though.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #28
Almost There

I plan on painting the floor this weekend, about how much paint should I expect to use, the floor is just about 200 square feet.
Anyone know where to get a window, other than a local bus yard?
I also plan on making some storage areas under the bus, for firewood and camping gear. Ill probably make a steel frame and use expanded steele for the "basket".
Ill keep updating, but i only get to work on the bus every frida and sunday so the posts will be a little far apart.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

You could probably get a used window cheap from either First Student or Dattco. Make sure you measure the window and get one for an AmTran body. The other option is to take the complete window out and bring it to an auto glass shop. It's flat tempered glass, pretty cheap to cut a new piece to the right size. I think your best bet would be FS, they have a lot of AmTrans in the fleet and probably have a stack of old windows laying around somewhere (or a bus they're parting out they could get one from).
Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Plywood for now, skin over later?
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote