Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #41
Almost There

Re: Chandlers skoolie

yeah I called their regular car division. I called GMAC though after i called progressive. They said Im probably going to get dropped by progressive so I dont know anymore. The lady I talked to from GMAC said they had numerous customers that came to them after being dropped by progressive for bus conversions.

thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

Ok, this is all starting to make more sense now. Perhaps it's the regular Progressive division that is dropping these school bus camper conversions because they shouldn't be insuring them to begin with (you'd think they'd know by now not to take on new customers if they have no intentions of keeping them). I've been with Progressive Commercial since last October, and so far, so good. My friend has been with Progressive Commercial for years, and no problems. Did you end up getting a quote from GMAC? I didn't even try getting a quote through them... I kind of wish I knew about this forum back when I was shopping for insurance.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Having heard the runaround Progressive gives people, I opted to go with GMAC. The price is about twice what I was quoted from Progressive, and I was completely honest w/ both about the status of my bus. It's titled and registered as an antique bus, and the only way in which I stretched the truth was in the anticipated mileage it would be driven (less than 2k per year, which really may not be far from the truth. Anyhow, the amount is 640/year for the basic no frills required coverage through GMAC. Progressive quoted me at $350. I heard that, and was tempted, but smelled a rat.
I wonder how much the amount will change if I decide to register it as an R.V.?(if I ever do)
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #44
Almost There

The foam has a plastic coating on one side and metal foil on the other, so I figure it will be good for sound, Today we got alot accomplished. I caulked all the windows and seat bolt holes. Removed the stop sign and stop bar on the front bumper. I bought some insulation styrofoam for the floor and got wood paneling for the walls. Painted under the chair rail, and put locks on the rear and side doors. The wood panels are just set in place.
heat, moisture, and provide cushion for the carpet.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Bus windows still in place? Keep screwdriver handy and just remove one.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

I'm planning on leaving one of the emergency exit windows on each side of my bus. I also had that thought, that if you have a lock hasp, some prankster could easily lock you in by shoving a screwdriver or whatever in there.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #47
Almost There

Well I hadnt thought about it but I figure Im good with a roof exit, 2 emergency exit doors, 2 emergency exit windows, the front door which cant be locked from the outside, plus all the other windows. haha so yeah Im good.

Got the wood paneling on one side of the bus done today and I got all the firring strips on the other side done. I also got a dinette table that colapses into a bed.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pied Typer
Just a safety second, make sure you have an alternative way out of your bus whenever you put a padlock hasp on your doors. People have been locked in worse places by vandals ....
We had a similar setup on a broken class a door. When inside, the latch was folded back to lock into another D ring so nothing could lock the door on us from the outside.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeria
We had a similar setup on a broken class a door. When inside, the latch was folded back to lock into another D ring so nothing could lock the door on us from the outside.
That is exactly how my bus is currently set up on the front door. When it is unlocked, the padlock is used to lock the latch open, and when it is locked the padlock is used to lock it closed. Let me see if I have a pic.....

...I think you can see it (barely) in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSD1615.jpg  
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #50
Almost There

I called back progressive just now, apparently they dont insure conversion. The agent said it is an unexceptable risk and that they just dont do it. He said the guy I spoke with last week must have not checked his guidlines because they simply dont insure anything that used to be a school bus.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #51
Almost There

well its been a little while, i have a few updates. The dinette table is installed and attached to the wall. All of the wood paneling on the walls is up and it looks real good. I have all of the styrofoam insulation cut for the floor and am almost finished with putting the tack strips for the carpet in. I might be getting the carpet on sunday, not sure yet. Ill take some pictures this weekend and put them up.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #52
Almost There

Old 04-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #53
Almost There

yeah thats the counter top. those cabinets are now cut to the right depth to match that slab.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #54
Almost There

So I think Im finally ready to paint the bus. I bought a bunch of scotch bright pads for scuffing, tack clothes, a cheap $15 spray gun from harbor freight and paint. I got rustoleum paint, from what ive read it will stick to pretty much anything and its hard to screw up. I got white for the roof, and hunter green for the rest of the body. I plan to pressure was the bus with a cleaning solution, then let it dry, scuff all the paint with the scotch brights. Im not going to use primer, unless anybody on here can persuade me to use it. Ill try to post pics this weekend of the process. Any advise greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
So I think Im finally ready to paint the bus. I bought a bunch of scotch bright pads for scuffing, tack clothes, a cheap $15 spray gun from harbor freight and paint. I got rustoleum paint, from what ive read it will stick to pretty much anything and its hard to screw up. I got white for the roof, and hunter green for the rest of the body. I plan to pressure was the bus with a cleaning solution, then let it dry, scuff all the paint with the scotch brights. Im not going to use primer, unless anybody on here can persuade me to use it. Ill try to post pics this weekend of the process. Any advise greatly appreciated.
Rustoleum works without primer. Just scuff up the yellow really well first so it sticks. You may need to do a couple coats to keep the yellow from bleeding through unless you prime first, but you can just use your first coat as primer. Follow the directions on the can concerning recoat times and such... Don't forget the pics!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 AM   #56
Almost There

well its 1am and i just got the bus home. I drove it here from about 4 miles away at my friends house where i have been doing the majority of the work to it. I brought it homw to have sufficient water and air pressure to paint it. It was my first time driving the beast- holy ****! these things are absolute tanks. the brakes were surprisingly good and the handling was much better than i had expected. Im going to start nice and early tomorow and try to get the roof scuffed and painted. Ill be sure to document the process well with tons of pics.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #57
Bus Nut

Good luck with the painting. Can't wait to see the pics. And when you are up there sanding your ass off, just think of it as a rite of passage. Or something like that. It seems to make the job easier.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #58
Almost There

I have a white roof! My $15 harbor freight spray gun is mint, and the rustoleum worked great too.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #59
Almost There

Well I finally got insurance Ill post this here and in the insurance thread. I searched online for and insurance broker and found Anne Marie Labonte. Her email is amlabonte.isyouragent@gmail.com. She worked really hard for me and got me insurance for $250 a year, pretty great considering my quote from GMAC was $1200 ( Im 18 I wonder if that has something to do with it). Anyway She ended getting me insurance through some assigned risk program or something, I think its ment for drivers with bad credit or a bad driving record. She asked me to post her information up here because she said she would be happy to find insurance for more bus conversions. Well now i can finally register the bus, hopefully this or next week!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

Good luck with it, but I'm 27 and I've held my class B CDL for 8 years, and I'm paying about $1200 a year for insurance on my bus.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote