Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #31
Almost There

Re: Chandlers skoolie

I think Im just going to put down carpet padding, then the indoor/outdoor carpet im getting, unless thats a relly bad idea. But Im not going to use the bus that often in the winter so I dont think I need that much insulation on the floor, plus Im really cheap.

I updated my location, Im about 10 minutes outh of middletown if that helps.

Im hoping ths freaking blizzard doesnt hold me up too bad this weekend.
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Smitty, I'd be very surprised if a Carpenter window fits an AmTran. Every manufacturer used their own window design, with the dimensions based on their own body structure design. (With a few exceptions for companies that bought parts from each other, such as Thomas parts on Corbeil bodies.) Even if the dimensions are the same, I doubt it would be a perfect fit, so you'd have leaks, and probably a window that looks out of place.

FS is still a likely source of used windows - they have literally tens of thousands of AmTrans and ICs (the reincarnation of AmTran) in the fleet nationwide. Second best would be Dattco, they have a mostly AmTran/IC fleet, and they've been an AmTran/IC dealer for years.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #33
Almost There

how do i open up this emergency exit all the way?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Can you push in, or pull out the nob? Can you do that while twisting it either side?

I managed to find this:
Instructions to passengers by rescuers are simple:
1. Push the vent open and release the safety lock.
2. Push the release handle and open the cover.

But I am unable to find how to operate them other than that.

*edit* Ok, found a PDF schematic on some of them, it would appear that there is a lever under the panel with the words "Emergency Exit", assuming that they are all built about the same. When you twist the nob, does it look like it will pass through the "Emergency Exit" panel? You might be able to push the button through it to release the door, or the door might push farther up with in the "Push" setting.

Not sure, but hopefully it will point you to the release handle.
http://www.smiglobal.net/products/product.php?id=62&m=4
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #35
Almost There

thanks Sojakai, Ill deffinitley try that this weekend.

I just got off the phone with progressive, and Im extremely happy. I got quoted for 338$ a year. And yes they know it used to be a school bus, and they know its a non professional bus conversion. I didnt wanna ask too many questions and screw it up, but i think Im going to go ahead and go with progressive. Ill post the number to the guy I spoke with, real nice guy:
Richard 1 800 289 7704, extension 8, then extension 3970550.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #36
Bus Nut

You get a last name or employee number? One extra way to identify who you talked to if needed later...

Someone might know better on that hatch, but thats just the quick looking around google.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler

I just got off the phone with progressive, and Im extremely happy. I got quoted for 338$ a year. And yes they know it used to be a school bus, and they know its a non professional bus conversion. I didnt wanna ask too many questions and screw it up, but i think Im going to go ahead and go with progressive. Ill post the number to the guy I spoke with, real nice guy:
Richard 1 800 289 7704, extension 8, then extension 3970550.
Consider yourself very lucky. I'm paying $1290 a year for mine with Progressive Commercial, and that's with my CDL discount... I know someone else who pays $1200 for his bus with Progressive, with CDL discount. Doesn't seem quite fair that Progressive would quote you 1/4 what they quoted me, when I've held my CDL for 8 years, drive a bus for a living, and have a clean driving record. Maybe I should give this Richard a call and see what's up.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #38
Almost There

Well for one, dont put any ideas in his head that will affect my quote, haha just kidding...kinda. And two, I am registering it as an RV, with no CDL. Its getting registered just as a motorhome, try doing that. Im sure the regular insurance is cheaper than the commercial.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #39
Almost There

Yes, Ive been wondering why progressive would drop so many people. They had to know what the vehicle was when they gave the quote, so what changes their mind I wonder.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

I told them the same thing you did, that it was a school bus camper conversion, with seats removed, and would be registered as a camper. It is not registered or insured as a commercial vehicle. I wonder what the difference is. I'd go ahead and buy the policy before something changes. Sounds like you got a great deal. Did you call just Progressive, their regular car division, or the Progressive Commercial division? Maybe that's where the difference lies... I'm with Progressive Commercial. Didn't know Progressive's standard car division would insure such a thing.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote