Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Re: Chandlers skoolie

Assigned risk is both for drivers with bad records as well as those with no records. When I moved from one state to another, I got put into assigned risk because there was (at the time) no interstate access to my existing record. Usually, the state sets the assigned risk rates, and each insurer must take 1 risk assignment for every so many standard policies it writes.

$250 per year does not sound outrageous for the minimum necessary liability needed to get plates in your state. I would look at the limits before taking off cross-country, to be sure you have more than the minimum for the states you pass through. The last time I checked (decades ago), the bare minimums varied wildly from state to state.

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

mine is 318 in Alabama for insurance to be legal
53 yr old and no problems with insurance
89 thomas short bus
Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Insuring me and my old 93' car I pay $276 a year. Of course, I'm old. I've a perfect driving record since 18. I've no credit (but then, I never check so it might be stolen by now) because I don't believe in using credit (cards, loans).

If GMAC or anyone else tries to suck me for $1200 a year when I get the bus I'll flip my lid and do something unlady like.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

[quote="Seeria"]Insuring me and my old 93' car I pay $276 a year. Of course, I'm old. I've a perfect driving record since 18. I've no credit (but then, I never check so it might be stolen by now) because I don't believe in using credit (cards, loans).

quote]
amen
jump66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #65
Almost There

thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

What brand and what color green is that?
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #67
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

For a guy younger than me and I'm young, that's a pretty good paint job. You've given me some confidence with my upcoming painting project.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #68
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

Wow that paint job looks great. Nice job! Are you planning on doing rubrails a different color for accent, or leaving it all green?
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #69
Almost There

thats regular old rustolem i got at lowes, its Hunter Green. I applied it with a 15$ harbor freight spray gun and thinned it with acetone. the prep work was the real bitch, it took about 10 hours total to sand and tape it all. I think I might paint the rub rails black to match the bumpers and wheels.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #70
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthmb55
Good luck with it, but I'm 27 and I've held my class B CDL for 8 years, and I'm paying about $1200 a year for insurance on my bus.
Do you have it registered as an rv or a bus, because in CT if its registered as an rv you dont need a CDL
Old 05-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: International
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

I've got camper plates on it. I know I don't need my CDL to drive it anymore at this point. My point was that I should be a relatively low risk to the insurance company because I've got a ton of experience driving commercial vehicles, and a clean driving record, and still my premium is just over $1200. So let me know how it goes for you, and if you run into any problems or end up getting dropped. If you get away with it for a year, I'd certainly consider switching when my policy comes up for renewal. I hate to think I'm overpaying.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #72
Almost There

I got my bus registered today and it went so smoothly! I brought with me the title, insurance card, bill of sale, and my lisence and the registration form. On the form i filled it out exactly as i would for a car, but for body style i wrote Camper. the only question the clerk asked me was what is the gross weight-14700 pounds. then i just paid $220 and i got my camper plates and my sticker. my certificate of registration sais camper btw. man I hope my insurance doesnt drop my and ill be doin great.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #73
Almost There

hey everybody, long time no...post? Well anyway things are going great for me. My insurace is still active and had not been cancelled, pretty damn good for $250 a year. the bus is great weve been camping a couple times but the main goal is still cross country next summer.

I do have one problem however. Recently when i go to start the bus, I have to cycle the glow plugs 6, 7, or 8 times before the motor will start( nat T444E). its about 90 degrees farenheit here and really humid. if i dont cycle the glow plugs a bunch of times the starter wont even crank. and each time i do cycle the plugs, it seems as though the starter turns more quickly with each use of the glow plugs. this doesnt seem to make any sense to me. the bus always eventually starts, but i shouldnt need the glow plugs at all in this weather. Coincidence? bad solenoid, batteries? any ideas folks?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
hey everybody, long time no...post? Well anyway things are going great for me. My insurace is still active and had not been cancelled, pretty damn good for $250 a year. the bus is great weve been camping a couple times but the main goal is still cross country next summer.

I do have one problem however. Recently when i go to start the bus, I have to cycle the glow plugs 6, 7, or 8 times before the motor will start( nat T444E). its about 90 degrees farenheit here and really humid. if i dont cycle the glow plugs a bunch of times the starter wont even crank. and each time i do cycle the plugs, it seems as though the starter turns more quickly with each use of the glow plugs. this doesnt seem to make any sense to me. the bus always eventually starts, but i shouldnt need the glow plugs at all in this weather. Coincidence? bad solenoid, batteries? any ideas folks?
Bad glow plugs. A diesel is built to be used. When it sits things fall apart. Replace the plugs and all will be fine.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #75
Almost There

ok, but regardless of if the plugs are bad or not, shouldnt the engine still crank? If i dont cycle the plugs a bunch of times, the starter wont even turn the motor over. also i shouldnt even really need the glow plugs in this weather.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #76
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Interesting I just painted my bus Gloss White on top and Hunter Green on bottom and am 18...what are the chances of that
wow thats pretty funny, what are you plans for the interior?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Quote:
ok, but regardless of if the plugs are bad or not, shouldnt the engine still crank? If i dont cycle the plugs a bunch of times, the starter wont even turn the motor over. also i shouldnt even really need the glow plugs in this weather.
Kind of sounds like a starter and/or electrical issue. The cycling of the glow plugs might temporarily heat the wires up and improve electrical conduction of the connections. Is the starter solenoid clicking in?
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #78
Almost There

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting I just painted my bus Gloss White on top and Hunter Green on bottom and am 18...what are the chances of that
wow thats pretty funny, what are you plans for the interior?
Right now I have a queen bed in back, a side bed/couch and will build a dinette that drops into a bed up front which will be across from a large cabinet with a deep double sink on the drivers side and behind that a 4 burner stove and oven and hopefully if my next craigslist deal goes right a 6 cf propane/electric fridge and then a large closet for the master bedroom and a tiny enclosure for the porta potti, I have pictures in the gallery so you can see what I mean...

What about yourself?
when we come out to the west cost next summer we will have to stop by haha
Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #79
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Quote:
Kind of sounds like a starter and/or electrical issue. The cycling of the glow plugs might temporarily heat the wires up and improve electrical conduction of the connections. Is the starter solenoid clicking in?
i like that idea alot, seems very possible, yeah the solenoid is clicking.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Have you cleaned your battery terminals, chassis ground connection, etc?
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote