Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie
 
grnthmb55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18
Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55
Re: Chandlers skoolie

I've got camper plates on it. I know I don't need my CDL to drive it anymore at this point. My point was that I should be a relatively low risk to the insurance company because I've got a ton of experience driving commercial vehicles, and a clean driving record, and still my premium is just over $1200. So let me know how it goes for you, and if you run into any problems or end up getting dropped. If you get away with it for a year, I'd certainly consider switching when my policy comes up for renewal. I hate to think I'm overpaying.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #72
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 76
Re: Chandlers skoolie

I got my bus registered today and it went so smoothly! I brought with me the title, insurance card, bill of sale, and my lisence and the registration form. On the form i filled it out exactly as i would for a car, but for body style i wrote Camper. the only question the clerk asked me was what is the gross weight-14700 pounds. then i just paid $220 and i got my camper plates and my sticker. my certificate of registration sais camper btw. man I hope my insurance doesnt drop my and ill be doin great.
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #73
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 76
Re: Chandlers skoolie

hey everybody, long time no...post? Well anyway things are going great for me. My insurace is still active and had not been cancelled, pretty damn good for $250 a year. the bus is great weve been camping a couple times but the main goal is still cross country next summer.

I do have one problem however. Recently when i go to start the bus, I have to cycle the glow plugs 6, 7, or 8 times before the motor will start( nat T444E). its about 90 degrees farenheit here and really humid. if i dont cycle the glow plugs a bunch of times the starter wont even crank. and each time i do cycle the plugs, it seems as though the starter turns more quickly with each use of the glow plugs. this doesnt seem to make any sense to me. the bus always eventually starts, but i shouldnt need the glow plugs at all in this weather. Coincidence? bad solenoid, batteries? any ideas folks?
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #74
Bus Nut
 
M1031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 471
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: Chandlers skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
hey everybody, long time no...post? Well anyway things are going great for me. My insurace is still active and had not been cancelled, pretty damn good for $250 a year. the bus is great weve been camping a couple times but the main goal is still cross country next summer.

I do have one problem however. Recently when i go to start the bus, I have to cycle the glow plugs 6, 7, or 8 times before the motor will start( nat T444E). its about 90 degrees farenheit here and really humid. if i dont cycle the glow plugs a bunch of times the starter wont even crank. and each time i do cycle the plugs, it seems as though the starter turns more quickly with each use of the glow plugs. this doesnt seem to make any sense to me. the bus always eventually starts, but i shouldnt need the glow plugs at all in this weather. Coincidence? bad solenoid, batteries? any ideas folks?
Bad glow plugs. A diesel is built to be used. When it sits things fall apart. Replace the plugs and all will be fine.
__________________
We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
- William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
M1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #75
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 76
Re: Chandlers skoolie

ok, but regardless of if the plugs are bad or not, shouldnt the engine still crank? If i dont cycle the plugs a bunch of times, the starter wont even turn the motor over. also i shouldnt even really need the glow plugs in this weather.
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #76
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 76
Re: Chandlers skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Interesting I just painted my bus Gloss White on top and Hunter Green on bottom and am 18...what are the chances of that
wow thats pretty funny, what are you plans for the interior?
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #77
Bus Nut
 
bus-bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.
Posts: 680
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Chandlers skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
ok, but regardless of if the plugs are bad or not, shouldnt the engine still crank? If i dont cycle the plugs a bunch of times, the starter wont even turn the motor over. also i shouldnt even really need the glow plugs in this weather.
Kind of sounds like a starter and/or electrical issue. The cycling of the glow plugs might temporarily heat the wires up and improve electrical conduction of the connections. Is the starter solenoid clicking in?
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #78
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 76
Re: Chandlers skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Interesting I just painted my bus Gloss White on top and Hunter Green on bottom and am 18...what are the chances of that
wow thats pretty funny, what are you plans for the interior?
Right now I have a queen bed in back, a side bed/couch and will build a dinette that drops into a bed up front which will be across from a large cabinet with a deep double sink on the drivers side and behind that a 4 burner stove and oven and hopefully if my next craigslist deal goes right a 6 cf propane/electric fridge and then a large closet for the master bedroom and a tiny enclosure for the porta potti, I have pictures in the gallery so you can see what I mean...

What about yourself?
when we come out to the west cost next summer we will have to stop by haha
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #79
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 76
Re: Chandlers skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
ok, but regardless of if the plugs are bad or not, shouldnt the engine still crank? If i dont cycle the plugs a bunch of times, the starter wont even turn the motor over. also i shouldnt even really need the glow plugs in this weather.
Kind of sounds like a starter and/or electrical issue. The cycling of the glow plugs might temporarily heat the wires up and improve electrical conduction of the connections. Is the starter solenoid clicking in?
i like that idea alot, seems very possible, yeah the solenoid is clicking.
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #80
Bus Nut
 
bus-bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.
Posts: 680
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Chandlers skoolie

Have you cleaned your battery terminals, chassis ground connection, etc?
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Skoolie Conversion and Old Skoolie Remodel jlhollowx13 Skoolie Conversion Projects 0 01-22-2013 02:41 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.