Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #81
Almost There

Re: Chandlers skoolie

the terminals are clean, i havent checked the chassis groud, i will do that. I forgot to mention that once the engine is warm, it will start right up first try, like it should when its cold.

thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Being a short bus owner, I don't always make it to the big bus side of the forum-so I never noticed there was a bus build going on right across the river! Greetings from Moodus! (what is that being build in the garage in the pic with you painting the bus?)
P.S.-just put in glow plugs-they aren't expensive. Mine started up fine after sitting all winter.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #83
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
what is that being build in the garage in the pic with you painting the bus?
thats my dads gt-40 kit car

Any idea where i would get glow plugs
Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

any parts store, used to be about 7 bucks apiece I think
been years since i had to buy any?
seems like you need a 3/8" deepwell socket
Old 08-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #85
Almost There

if i just tell the parts guy its a 1995 ford powerstroke 7.3 will they be the same plugs?
Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #86
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Yup-thats all they are. NOW--odds are good your under valve cover harness + gaskets are NG (there are terminals that go thru the gaskets to power the glow plugs-the connections arc out after a while--I'm betting thats where you problem lies) On mine, I ended up replacing the engine side terminals-the UVC harness-the gaskets + glow plugs all in one shot. (and put PLENTY of diletric grease on everything.) Probably $200 will get everything. Do everything in one shot for peace of mind. Everything but the engine side terminals is availible from NAPA.
Look here:
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/ ... -05-10.php

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #87
Almost There

i guess im just really having trouble believing its the glow plugs that are the issue. In this weather(80* or more) i should barely need the plugs. And the motor should crank fast no matter if the glow plugs are shot or not, right? the starter doesnt even engage at all the first time i turn the key to start.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #88
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I agree with you Chandler. The glow plugs should have no effect on the starter. If you cannot consistently get the engine to crank at a good speed, then I would be looking for something else. I assume you have tried jumping it to make sure the problem is not the battery? Maybe next you should get the starter bench tested to see if there is a problem with the starter or solenoid. Starters are usually not too hard to take off. Make sure you disconnect the battery before messing with it though or you you may be in for a shocking experience. Before testing the starter, you might try jumping it directly by bridging the contacts with a screwdriver (one with an insulated handle - or maybe you can devise another safer method). If that consistently spins the engine then the problem is probably somewhere between the ignition key and the starter solenoid.

Good luck!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #89
Almost There

well i feel a little dumb for not doing this before, but i checked the voltage in the batteries again today, but this time before i ran the bus. Getting just under 12 volts. before i had shecked them after i ran the motor, and the weak batteries held a charge for about 15 or 20 minutes so i thought they were fine. it all makes sense now. Ill be picking up 3 new ones from napa this weekend and hopefully that does the trick. priced them out, does $110 a piece sound reasonable/familiar?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #90
Almost There

picked up 3 new batteries from napa yesterday. I used my friends discount card from licoln tech, which dropped the price from 110 to 85 bucks a piece. bus starts up first try now everytime. i even had a little party on it last night with the stereo and lights on for about 5 hours and it still started right up this morning.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #91
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

yeah when testing the electric side of any system start from the batteries and work your way to the engine... i mean you learned that first hand.. but every time i think i know whats wrong with a vehicle i still start at the batteries/ fuel tank and work to the engine....
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #92
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

I Am also 18 and i was orignally planning on painting my bus White on top and green on the bottom, but i have decided to do a diffrent color scheam i just thought that is crazy that there would have been 3 of us!!!!!
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #93
Almost There

Well i just finished up fall semester, ill be working on the bus pretty steady for the next 5 weeks. I plan to get the electricity stituation taken car of, along with a few other minor things like adding a couple more mattresses, make a tv cabinet, console for the drivers ares, install a tow hitch, and put up some overhead shelving.

For electricity i just bought a new power inverter. Its a 2500/5000 watt with built in battery charger.
http://www.dcacpower.com/product/2500bc.html
I have 2 marine batterries and plan to get 2 more. i will mount them under a bus seat and wire them to the alternator with a disconnect switch for when the bus is not running. I havent figured out what im doing for outlets yet, suggestions? and is it really nessecary to vent my batteries and keep them separate from the living space?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #94
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
...and is it really nessecary to vent my batteries and keep them separate from the living space?
If you want to avoid venting then pay the premium bucks for the sealed AGM batteries. Otherwise, I would definitely isolate and vent to the outside. Check out my thread to see how I did it, although I haven't finished sheeting in the closet they are sitting in. Also, you will want to put non-sealed batteries in some sort of plastic tray to catch any battery fluid that may bubble up and over when charging, otherwise it can be a mess.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #95
Almost There

i got my inverter in the other day. This thing is nice at first glance. I hooke it up to 2 marine batteries and it ran all at once mind you, a 36 inch tube tv, a vcr, a kitchen-aid mixer, milwaukee power drill, milwaukee sawzall, and a heat gun. needleaa to say i thing it will handle my small needs. going to home depot tomorow to get electrical stuff and will hopefully have it wired up by the end of the day. I have a neat idea for venting the battery box. Im gonna run some 1" heater hose down into the airstream below the bus and into the box. then on the other end of the box an exhaust hose leading out of the bus. maybe itll work maybe not but its worth a shot because it is so simple.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #96
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I hope I'm wrong.....but $250/year....and 18 year old driver? You're gonna get socked with a big increase, or dropped. THere's no "high-risk" insurance for $20 a month.

And an agent using a gmail address?

Bad credit and a poor driving record (not to mention being a teen) don't earn you discounts......they give the insurers a reason to bend you over further.

Let us know when you feel their breath on the back of your neck........'cause it's gonna happen.........

Smitty
just an update. Still insured almost a year later, no payment increases, and no trouble with a gmail address...

I dont have bad credit, no accidents, no tickets.