Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
Almost There

Chandlers skoolie

thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: Chandlers skoolie

glad to see you here, first suggestion, read,read,read,and then read some more. oh and look at the photo gallery, great pics there.
again welcome
Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Just the standard firsts. Rubber matting and plywood underneath (if you have it) should be removed. There is a bit of a debate as to insulating the floor or not, and if you should take off the internal panels to add better insulation or just put wood over the metal panels instead. As Putter just said, Read up first. Look through the Gallery, lots of good things to see there. Once you have the bus in your hands, get measurements of the inside space and sketch out some plans. When you think you have the right plans, take a roll of tape or a piece of chalk and your tape measure and draw out your plan for everything on the floor and walls. This way you know it will fit in the space you have, and can easily be adjusted by lifting the tape or smudging the chalk.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Welcome and glad to hear you got your bus. Good advice from the previous posters on how to go from here.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Hey there- I bought our bus from first student- did you request the maintance records? If you call them and give them the bus number and the serial number, the may still have the records. I got some of the driver inspection forms, and a couple of the last years repair records they had. I found the driver inspections very useful- everyday they'd check it- I went and looked at the things they wrote up- found few "band-aid" repairs and fixed the properly.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
Almost There

yep so no delivery on MLK day i guess. But Im crossing my fingers for tomorrow. I plan on taking tons of pictures and documenting the whole project really well. I spent like 2 hours just reading threads on this website today, its developed into a sickness already like all of my other automotive projects. I just cant wait to get started!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Almost There

Well I got shafted again today, I couldnt get ahold of the transport company. Hopefully ill have the bus tomorow though.

As for the conversion I have a few ideas for the direction Im going in. I dont want any plumbing or AC power wires throughout the bus. I do have a 5000 watt generator and I am still looking for a decent power inverter, and I will just use extension cords. I will have a microwave, propane range and oven, propane fridge, 4 bunks, a dinette/bed, and a futon. I do plan to have a pretty good storage area in the back for quads dirtbikes and snowboards. I am posting a paint drawing of my pending design for the back door.

The red line is a heavy duty piano hinge and the green boxes are slam latches, both from mcmaster carr. The emergency door can be used normally, then the other part can be unlatched and opened to load a quad or large furnature. I havent figured out the ramp yet but that shouldnt be too hard. I will seal the gaps with weatherstiping also from mcmaster carr- what a great website.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Almost There

Why yes I would. Dont know why I choose the "passenger" side, but the other side makes way more sense. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Almost There

Haha yes thank you smitty.

Well the transport company finally contacted me today and they garunteed deliveryon friday before noon, needless to say, Im growing more excited and restless by the day. Im going to go over to my buddys house tomorow where Im keeping the bus and set up my work station with generator and compressor and all that good stuff. Maybe ill snap a few pics of the setup too, just to keep you guys off my back haha. Probly going to home depot too to pick around and maybe find a cheap, really cheap flooring solution.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Leave your living mods loose for a while, that way you can move the couch around, put the cabinets on the other side, etc. This lets you get an idea of how you like the layout, and the right one for you will show up quickly! It's like painting a picture, or sculpting something, or building a neat playhouse. Let your creative karma flow. If it starts to get to be work, stop before you ruin it for yourself- take a breather, get a fresh perspective and have fun again!
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Almost There

So the nightmare continues...

The transport driver called me this morning to tell me the brake pressure light wont go off in my bus(hydraulic brakes). He said he took it for a short drive and the brakes seem ok, but he just wanted me to know. I get another call about 10 minutes later, rotted front brake line and its pissing fluid, great. So now im stuck because i own the bus and their not obligated to fix it, and I have no clue where to get the brake line. Does anybody know if it is standard brake line or where to get the correct line? It is the drivers side front line FYI. Thanks a bunch.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

These guys have a pretty good mail order parts section. I have ordered a few things from them and not gotten screwed yet.

http://www.westernbus.com/

Or go to NAPA, they should be able to get it or tell you where you can go to.

Hope this helps.

Scott
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Almost There

It is sitting in First Student bus company's bus yard in New Haven CT, about 30 mins from my house. The transport companies driver went to pick it up but wouldnt drive it because of the bad brake line. I have to find the right part and fix it before the transport company will touch it again. I think Ill try the International dealer tommorow for the part.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #14
Bus Nut

If your going to buy one, buy an extra three at the same time. I would bet that if you have to replace one, the other three are just waiting for a chance to go too. Save yourself the headache, Plan Ahead. ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
So the nightmare continues...

The transport driver called me this morning to tell me the brake pressure light wont go off in my bus(hydraulic brakes). He said he took it for a short drive and the brakes seem ok, but he just wanted me to know. I get another call about 10 minutes later, rotted front brake line and its pissing fluid, great. So now im stuck because i own the bus and their not obligated to fix it, and I have no clue where to get the brake line. Does anybody know if it is standard brake line or where to get the correct line? It is the drivers side front line FYI. Thanks a bunch.
If I were you I would have thrown it back in First Student's lap for breach of contract. They promised you a bus and delivery for $1800. Now you're being forced to put money and time into it before it is even delivered and in your possession? That would never fly with me. If you paid them, and they said delivery was included, then it is THEIR responsibility at this point to get that bus to your location... not your responsibility to go out on site and fix it. The delivery driver should have been on the phone with a First Student mechanic, not you.
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
Almost There

Wow guys those are all real good ideas. Its true that they should deliver it no matter what state it is in, because I bought it as is, and therefore paid for delivery as is. Ill make some calls on Monday and let you all know how it goes.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #17
Almost There

Yeah I deffinitly still want the bus, because overall I think it really is a good bus. Im gonna make a couple pissed off phone calls on monday and we'll see how it goes.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

I very much doubt that you'll get much luck with First Student. It's worth a try but I'd be surprised if they put any money into the bus. Your best option might be to just try for a full refund, but even that could be difficult.

FS doesn't care about doing the right thing in selling a used bus. Their business is school transportation, and even in that they have the reputation of doing everything as cheaply as possible. They don't care about resale value, and they don't care what one guy who bought an $1,800 bus is gonna go telling people if he's pissed about the deal. They'll still get their core business by underbidding the little guy on every contract they can even if they lose money in doing so, and find some way to screw their drivers, delay maintenance, and get around contract specs to make up for the loss. How do I know? I drive for them.

If you want to look for a different bus, there are lots of options in the same price range. Auction season is starting soon, and I suspect there will be another auction in Waterbury this summer. There's one in Pittsburgh as early as April. Old Laidlaw buses (they say First Student now, but spent most of their life in a better maintenance program) go cheap, and I know someone who's had good luck with giving several a second life at a small bus company. If you want more info on that, send me an e-mail, you could meet up with me and my friends at one of the auctions and thoroughly inspect a bus before buying.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Almost There

Well surprise surprise. I just spoke with the sales manager from First Student. They are going to fix the brake line for me and then plan to drive up to my friends house, just as planned. Man this was so unexpected.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: IHC DTA360, 190 hp
Rated Cap: 71
Send a message via AIM to grnthmb55

Glad to hear it. It was well worth the phone call. I'm looking forward to seeing pix of the bus!

-Dave
grnthmb55 is offline   Reply With Quote