I started some exterior sheetmetal and prep work. The sheetmetal panel around the battery box was rotted at the bottom so I decided to replace the entire panel. I believe the thickness of the original sheetmetal is 16 gauge. The local steel supply did not have it so I got 14 guage which is thicker. A little harder to work with. But will last longer.
Here is how it was done.
This is the original panel that was rotted
First we started with our 4x8 sheet of 14 gauge
Then took the original panel and put it against the new metal and spray painted the edges creating an outline
You will notice there is no line on the top. This is because I had to make it about an inch higher to be able to create the original bend on the bottom. (new piece is being traced and cut upside down)
This is the back side of the new piece cut, and undercoated. The grey dot is the cutout for the intake heater plug.
Front side primed
This is what the area looks like with the panel taken off.
New panel in place! Can't wait to get it painted. The grey does not look good next to the yellow.
This is what some of the rubrails looked like that I took off. I figured I need about 35 feet of new rubrail.
This is the sheetmetal under the lower rubrail on the passenger side front
I just decided to cut the rusted area off instead of replacing the entire panel. This would have been a lot more work than the battery box panel.
I have a new piece riveted on. But forgot to snap a picture. I'm sure you can figure out what it looks like.
I will be replacing some sheetmetal in a couple more small spots and then prep, prep, prep.
These are some ideas for paint
I think this is my favorite.
How about something real crazy! LOL
Feel free to give me some other ideas for colors or designs!!