Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: CHANGED AGAIN! THIS WILL BE IT!!

For the emergency door interlock:

I have a book of wiring diagrams for older Thomas conventional buses (which are wired similar to other Thomas buses). In 1995 they changed a lot of wiring stuff, but the pre-95 circuit diagram gives me an idea of how your switches were set up. My scanner isn't working right now, so I'll try to explain how it's laid out. Wiring colors may be different (your black and white wires should be yellow and dark blue according to my book, so it may vary by different models).

There are 2 switches at each emergency door with a Vandalock. One is just for the buzzer when the door handle is opened, that should have two wires. The other is for the buzzer and starter interlock when the door is locked, which should be the 4 wire one. It's a double-pole single-throw switch. One pole is normally open, the other is normally closed.

In addition, buses with a locking compartment over the driver's window for safety equipment storage may be equipped with an interlock. This will use a 4-terminal DPST switch just like the Vandalocks.

The buzzer circuit uses ground-side switching. There is power to the buzzer whenever the key is on. When any door is either opened or locked, the the respective switch grounds the wire from the buzzer. (The buzzer wire is connected to the normally-open SP door switch and to the normally-open side of the DP lock switch.)

The interlock is also wired with ground-side switching. The interlock uses an extra starter relay, fed by the ignition. The ground wire for this passes through each interlock switch, on the normally-closed pole of the double-pole switch. When each door is unlocked, the relay is grounded. When any door is locked, the ground circuit is broken.

Now that I've explained how it works, there are a few ways to disable it. If you can locate the interlock relay by tracing the starter circuit wires, you can simply connect the two wires (in the diagram they're shown as black wires). If it's easier to do at the side door (or rear door - make sure it's the closest one to the front of the bus), the diagram suggests that the interlock circuit is a yellow wire connected to the furthest terminals from the plunger. (On the overhead locking compartment, it will be connected to the terminals closest to the plunger.) Either connect these two wires, or ground the one coming from the switch cabinet (will be hot when the key is turned to start). I would suggest either bypassing the relay, or tracing the interlock wire and grounding it behind the switch panel, so you won't have a hot wire running the length of the bus.

The buzzer wire is supposedly dark blue, connected to the other terminals. One side will be hot when the key is on or in accessory, and grounding it will sound the buzzer. If you remove the buzzer or its fuse, you'll just have a dead wire running the length of the bus. (If you have the optional emergency door pilot light, it's wired in parallel with the buzzer - either disconnect the light with the buzzer or remove the fuse to kill the circuit). This circuit also runs to other non-locking exits such as pushout windows and roof hatches, which ground it through SP switches in the same way.

On newer buses (95 and newer according to my book), they used a different Vandalock design that would lock the handle by inserting a pin. To line it up, you would have to slightly open the handle, just enough to sound the buzzer but not open the door. These use only one switch, wired the same as the lock switch on older buses - double-pole, with the normally-open side for the buzzer ground and the normally-closed side for the starter relay ground. You should be able to disable it the same way. The diagram suggests newer models use a standard 5-prong relay for the interlock, and if you just connect the wires from the 30 and 87 prongs it should bypass the interlock circuit. Either that, or ground the yellow wire (circuit #32) from terminal 86, or at the door if you prefer.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this will help some future Thomas converters.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

OMG that is great info! WUB YOU Thanks for sharing
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Phil, you are awesome! Thanks!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

Not too much accomplished but here is a dinette mock up and some insulation.

I don't have any pics of it. But I picked up 1" raw white sheet insulation thats going to cover some of the windows and the walls in between the wall framing. Its the real cheap white styrofoam stuff. I wanted to get the Owen's Corning pink sheet insulation (the raw stuff. No plastic or foil on each side). But I could only find it in 2x8 tongue and groove sections and they wanted around $8 dollars a sheet.

The white stuff was 4x8 for $11 a sheet but seems a lot more flimsy. I was wondering what you guys recommend. Should I return it and get the pink sheet insulation? Or would the white stuff be ok?

Also, I think I am just about ready to start framing up the wall. Is there anything I should do before that? I plan on running my electrical wire through the wire channel above the windows. I still need to decide exactly where I am going to put outlets and pretty much all my electrical. I don't plan on having any outlets in the bus walls. Probably just on end walls and kitchen counter etc..
Attached Thumbnails
009.JPG   012.JPG  
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #65
Bus Nut

I don't even see an R rating for the cheap stuff I got. The Owens Corning pink stuff is an R5. Wow. Thats pretty low. I can't imagine what the R value is on the white styrofoam. I think I'll go exchange it for the pink.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Just remember to get pink stuff that is only thick enough to fill the space without compressing it in. The tighter/more compressed the pink stuff is, the less R-Value it has.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #67
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

so... the white polystyrene actually is better to use in the walls?

need more coffee, not processing thoughts well.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Fiberglass allows air currents to circulate between the strands of fiber - go to the isocylene (spelling?) foam booths at a Home Show for a demo.
Fiberglass also holds moisture like a sponge. This can freeze into ice, which kills the R value, and promote rust in metal it contacts.

In a home, there is supposed to be a vapor barrier between the living space and the fiberglass to discourage the moisture from entering it. I once bought a home that had an incomplete vapor barrier, and the winter condensation encouraged by the frozen fiberglass dripped onto my nose while I tried to sleep. The outer side of the fiberglass should be able to breathe, to allow what moisture there is to escape. The steel walls of a bus aren't too good for that.

If fiberglass stays dry, it is OK in a bus. But closed-cell foam will not hold water or pass air currents through it at all, so it gives extra protection from heat, cold, and moisture.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #69
Bus Nut

A little more on the backing sign done.
Attached Thumbnails
012.JPG   010.JPG   009.JPG  
Old 02-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Blacked out some windows.
Attached Thumbnails
002.JPG   001.JPG  
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #71
Bus Nut

FINALLY SOME BUILDING!!
Attached Thumbnails
023.JPG   021.JPG  
Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #72
Bus Nut

I got the insulation and framing pretty much done. I realized I had to add some horizontal studs for the sub wall because there would not have been near enough support for the paneling.

Also, started framing for the passenger side closet!
Attached Thumbnails
003.JPG   004.JPG  
Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #73
Bus Nut

You know what Smitty, I have been back and forth trying to decide what to do first. Framing or paneling. I decided to frame first because I was nervous that I would have to take paneling off if I forgot something. And I'm going to run my wires through some of the subwall framing.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Closet framing completed this past weekend and bathroom framing started.

Toilet and shower base arrived today! i just kinda placed them there for now.

I was wondering if the shower base gets screwed into the surround or FRP? Or do I just caulk the seams around the base. Unfortunately the base I recieved is a bit warped on the back side and my guess is that it would not sit flush against the surround and not seal properly. Is there something I can do about this?
Attached Thumbnails
012.JPG   011.JPG   009.JPG  
Old 02-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #75
Bus Nut

few more
Attached Thumbnails
009.JPG   010.JPG   014.JPG  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Started to cut and apply some paneling. There are several more pieces cut. But not installed yet. I need to configure some electrical and plumbing and so on.
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG   004.JPG  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Fortunately, the panel that is pieced together in the last pic will be hidden behind the kitchen counter.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #78
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Nice bus!

Question: is the side door in the pics a wheelchair lift? It looks kind of small, so I figure it's an an emergency exit, but I can't tell for sure.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #79
Bus Nut

Thanks Smitty. It does have a lip on all sides. I'm going to screw it into plywood then cover the plywood with the FRP.

Yes that was an emergency exit.

I installed a couple electrical outlets and cut some more paneling today. Not too many pics right now because I have not installed too much of the paneling yet until I finalize my electrical and plumbing. So things are kind of a mess right now.
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG  
Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

If you aren't planning on it already, you want to use PT or (pricey but even better) marine-grade plywood everywhere around the shower. No matter how well you seal it...it's gonna get wet in there.

I didn't, and I got to redo my shower pan.

PS--What are the dimension on that shower pan?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote