Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Cloud 9: My first schoolie

Nice bright interior! --- I like it. So many buses I've seen appear to be mobile caves they are so dark and heavy looking.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #62
Bus Geek

I don't think they are on in the pic He said they slip under "the drip rail" that's on the outside....
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #63
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

Picture to come with the screens I only had pics of the windows before the screens were installed, I ran out of camera battery earlier.

Thank You!
We love our open theme to living we intentionally picked colors that were light and we only covered 6 of the windows. My wife loves light and I love simplicity between the two we figured cloud 9 is a good representation of what we were looking for. We do not plan on any more structures in the bus just the wood stove installation and some fun details like a rebuild of the dash and swapping out the front door to a standard house door we will see all in good time.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #64

Hi. Thank you for the great pics! Can you tell me how deep these bunkbed are? And overall dimensions?
ctsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:41 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: CE
Chassis: International
Engine: VT-365
Rated Cap: 29,500
Request for Information re: Triple Bunks

I read where you state there's 24" headroom bunk-to-bunk, but I'm guessing that's without the mattresses. I have a very similar design sketched out, which is 21" from top-of-mattress to bottom of next bunk. I'm a little hesitant to build it, since I'd like adults to be able to use it. I spec'd 4" memory foam mattresses to use with it. Can I hear some feedback about using that triple bunk?
headdownlow0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
My bunk (with a 6" memory-foam mattress) has 30" clearance above it, and that's about the bare minimum I'd want to have personally. If I sat up in the middle of the night I'd bang my head unless I remembered where I was in time. Seems like 21" clearance would be pretty terrible, and I'm not sure 4" memory foam would be that great either.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:39 PM   #67
Bus Nut

If it helps, I measured myself shoulder to shoulder, and it was 23 inches across. Were I to sleep in that bus, I would not be able to sleep on my side because I would be hitting the bunk over me. And sleeping on my back, in the event of an emergency the first thing I'd do in that bunk is break my nose. I know it's tight in a bus, but the bunks should be high enough that you can sit up in bed with the mattress in place without hitting your head. If you can't do that, it really needs to be redesigned. But, not my bus, not my passengers, this is just an observation.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:53 PM   #68
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: CE
Chassis: International
Engine: VT-365
Rated Cap: 29,500
Thanks! I appreciate you two "chiming in" on an otherwise dead thread. Jury is still out on final designs...
headdownlow0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:26 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
I looked this up

US navy submarines.... 3 inch mattress, 17 inches above mattress. length 72-74 inches 24-30 inches wide. as you go up in rank you get more space above the mattress

I think for my kids, i would like 24-30 inches above the mattress. and a 6 inch mattress.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:55 AM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
If you need to fit triple bunks, they're going to be pretty short. No way around it unless you opt for a massive roof raise.

You can gain a little bit of space back by using a thinner mattress. I am a firm believer (pun intended) that mattress thickness does not correlate to mattress comfort. We have a fleet of Paco Pads, which are a simple 2" chunk of firm foam wrapped in tough PVC shell. I flop those things directly onto roots, pinecones, cobblestone beaches, etc, and sleep better than in my bed at home. I'd say get thin but firm standard foam to start. The thinner you go, the firmer the mattress has to be. I like the "LUX" from Foam Factory (foambymail.com). If you occupants complain, you can always add extra thickness or a memory foam topper later.

My second suggestion is to not add permanent aisle walls in a bunk that short. We recently finished our bunks (27.5" wide, 78" long, 27" clearance above 2" mattress). They have a 1/3 permanent wall, and it is surprising how much that closes everything in and complicates entry and exit. I can still get in there as a 6'2", 200# guy, but any more wall would have made it very difficult indeed. With a shorter bunk, I think a wall would be even more of a pain.

Good luck!
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote