Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: College student taking on 2000 Thomas Saf-t Liner

Just a heads up on the HD flooring underlayment. While the product does have a nice smooth finish which makes for a perfect looking vinyl or lineo floor, It is assembled with a non water proof glue that gives up the second it gets even moist--thus ruining the floor. If you are sure it won't get wet it'll work just fine. It just seems to me that to take the chance that no water will seep in under the floor is too big a risk.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Just a heads up on the HD flooring underlayment. While the product does have a nice smooth finish which makes for a perfect looking vinyl or lineo floor, It is assembled with a non water proof glue that gives up the second it gets even moist--thus ruining the floor. If you are sure it won't get wet it'll work just fine. It just seems to me that to take the chance that no water will seep in under the floor is too big a risk.
hm? Not sure what you are talking about. The wood is attached with screws to the floor?
nachosforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

I see why you didn't understand. Let's see if I do . You are going to use the underflooring on the walls. Right? if so, the same problem exists. If it gets wet the glue melts and the plywood separates. As an alternative you could use "
hardboard". While Home Depot carries it I don't recall the product name but it is brown in color, comes in 4X8' sheets, is 1/8" thick, is easily cut with a jig saw, bends to contours (with care), is cheaper than subflooring and can be waterproofed with shellac. Once waterproofed it resists water very well. Pieces should be coated with shellac after being cut and fit to assure the edges are sealed. I have tried sealing the subflooring material but have had less than steller results. Another thing to consider is that plywood subflooring does add a little structural support ('till it gets wet) whereas the brown sheeting doesn't. On the other hand, plywood is a b---h to bend and shape------- Hope this helps. Jack
Old 10-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I see why you didn't understand. Let's see if I do . You are going to use the underflooring on the walls. Right? if so, the same problem exists. If it gets wet the glue melts and the plywood separates. As an alternative you could use "
hardboard". While Home Depot carries it I don't recall the product name but it is brown in color, comes in 4X8' sheets, is 1/8" thick, is easily cut with a jig saw, bends to contours (with care), is cheaper than subflooring and can be waterproofed with shellac. Once waterproofed it resists water very well. Pieces should be coated with shellac after being cut and fit to assure the edges are sealed. I have tried sealing the subflooring material but have had less than steller results. Another thing to consider is that plywood subflooring does add a little structural support ('till it gets wet) whereas the brown sheeting doesn't. On the other hand, plywood is a b---h to bend and shape------- Hope this helps. Jack
what glue separates? The description of the item said it was designed for moisture environments I thought
Old 10-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #55
r_w
Skoolie

Tons of internet stories to say the HD underlayment sucks. It doesn't hold up to repeated moisture. The stuff from Lowe's was better, but still not great.

But that is subject to change with out notice. Odds are the Lowe's product starting to suck long before the HD product gets better.

All the plywood delaminates these days, even exterior grade-they all are using cheap glue and lots of voids and spongy inner layers to wick and hold the moisture. Shoot, even marine grade will delaminate if treated badly enough.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Do you have any product recommendation? I might just go with OSB in that case
Old 10-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #57
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat

Quote:

Har-d-board or Har-d-plank. Also in grey.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #58
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

Hardyboard on the inside? Seems that would add a TON of weight.

Op, why not look through threads on here and do similar things? I know it's "boring" but everyone does it for a reason. It works, and works well.

Bare floor
Paint
Hard board insulation
Plywood
engineered hardwood/vinyl/carpet etc.

for the walls, fir them out with 2x2's insulate between them and cover with bead board, tongue and groove etc.
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachosforjoe
Do you have any product recommendation? I might just go with OSB in that case
Check out my thread. I did wood framing on the walls like you did, then foam insulation, then tyvek, OSB on the walls, and sanded, stained and painted the OSB. It looks really good and was very inexpensive to do. For the floor I used 1/2" closed cell foam insulation and 1/2" OSB, screwed to the floor, which also works well and feels good underfoot; cushy yet solid. Look over my thread for how to do it well on a budget, I spent MAAAAYBE a grand on my whole interior. Furnishings and all.

Again not to sound like a pompous asshole but I really don't want to see you do this in a way that will disappoint you, because I know how it feels to have a big project not turn out the way you want and the depression that ensues.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Sometimes experience is the best teacher. Good luck