Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t Liner
Re: College student taking on 2000 Thomas Saf-t Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachosforjoe
Do you have any product recommendation? I might just go with OSB in that case
Check out my thread. I did wood framing on the walls like you did, then foam insulation, then tyvek, OSB on the walls, and sanded, stained and painted the OSB. It looks really good and was very inexpensive to do. For the floor I used 1/2" closed cell foam insulation and 1/2" OSB, screwed to the floor, which also works well and feels good underfoot; cushy yet solid. Look over my thread for how to do it well on a budget, I spent MAAAAYBE a grand on my whole interior. Furnishings and all.

Again not to sound like a pompous asshole but I really don't want to see you do this in a way that will disappoint you, because I know how it feels to have a big project not turn out the way you want and the depression that ensues.
Ive actually been using yours as a huge guide!

nachosforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

On the advice of many of you I switched up my walls! I chose a material that says it can hold up against moisture and bending so heres to hoping it actually works well! Also started to frame out a back bed a little bit. ran out of screws

Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #63

Year: 1991
Engine: Ford

Hey Joe!

Just wanted to say "Hi!". We were just out of college when we started our conversion (www.justrightbus.com) and we've never been happier. It's a lifestyle I'd recommend to anyone who is open to it. Great job so far!
kellyetross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyetross
Hey Joe!

Just wanted to say "Hi!". We were just out of college when we started our conversion (http://www.justrightbus.com) and we've never been happier. It's a lifestyle I'd recommend to anyone who is open to it. Great job so far!
Just checked out your page and it looks really well done! Being a full time college student and working makes it difficult to find time to work on the bus but I love getting to work on it! I just wish I had more time to spend on it
Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #65
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

Looking good man! What is that, 1/4 oak plywood? One question, did you fill in all the gaps and use spray insulation around them? Not sure how much the insulation will help if there are gaps is all, plus it may rattle. Looks much better though!
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyracer
Looking good man! What is that, 1/4 oak plywood? One question, did you fill in all the gaps and use spray insulation around them? Not sure how much the insulation will help if there are gaps is all, plus it may rattle. Looks much better though!
Its 1/4 underlayment. Product description says it can handle high moisture environments. Didnt fill the gaps yet but probably going to get something to fix that soon. Its not hard to take this stuff off and put back up. Wanted to just give it a test before I put too much of it up. Dont think it will rattle since its pretty flat against the wood and metal backing.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

I got a ton done this weekend! Finished doing the walls and insulation. Started working on the back bed frame, and put some sealant on the roof as well as caulking around the emergency exit on the ceiling. Forgot to get pictures of the sealant on the roof but be assured it is there! Underneath this back bed I intend to put the water tank. To ensure access the bed will have door hinges on the rear in order for it to lift up. That might be the plan for next week when I go to work on it

Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #68
Mini-Skoolie

Put the top of the bed up yesterday. Took a while to get this right. Its two pieces of particle board held together by 3 2x4s. Next week I will try to get a picture of it. I also put hinges on the back in order for it to flip up and allow me access to the water tank I intend to put underneath it. Started putting paint on the back wall as well. Only had a short day to work on it since the girlfriend had to get back to campus to go to work. Hopefully next week I can get a full day in to get more done. Working on this and still doing everything else a full time student/part time worker has to do is difficult. Not enough time in a day!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

Been a while since an update. Painting the bottom half of the bus black, and the top half white. Working on building the bunk bed. Still have a lot of work to do on the bunk bed! Bunk bed may look to be unlevel, but I have found the center of the bus is a half inch higher than the sides. According to the level I am working with, the bottom bunk is in fact level. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65

Looking good!

I actually really like the look of that paneling you are using-- I think I might have to use that in my bus! What exactly is it and where did ya get it, if you dont mind me askin?

About the level... I'm not sure if you've considered this, and I only mention it because I had a friend of mine do the same thing in his bus, but unless you know it's parked on a perfectly level drive, a level is not going to be much help for making things 'level' inside your bus. That 1/2" difference could be a dip in your driveway. Jus throwing that out there!

Keep truckin man, you're making good progress
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m
Looking good!

I actually really like the look of that paneling you are using-- I think I might have to use that in my bus! What exactly is it and where did ya get it, if you dont mind me askin?

About the level... I'm not sure if you've considered this, and I only mention it because I had a friend of mine do the same thing in his bus, but unless you know it's parked on a perfectly level drive, a level is not going to be much help for making things 'level' inside your bus. That 1/2" difference could be a dip in your driveway. Jus throwing that out there!

Keep truckin man, you're making good progress
It is underlayment from Home Depot. It is bendable too which is nice! And the driveway is level I believe. Not my driveway so its hard to judge! But looking at the driveway it appears to be level. I plan to keep all the paneling that color since I really like it, I will end up putting some type of stain on it to cover seams. Maybe a darker color stain, but I like the wood look. Stain will go on the 2x4s as well.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #72

By underlayment, do you mean the Home Depot 5.2mm Lauan?
If so, that stuff is almost bulletproof and very flexible.
I built a 15' pirogue (cajun flat bottom canoe) from that exact stuff - with cloth and epoxy on the outside and epoxy inside.
It's damn near bulletproof and has handled rough use at my hands for ten years now.
I'm a big guy (250#) and that lauan has stood up to me standing in the boat while it was perched on broken concrete.
It looks rough underneath but is totally water tight and still paddles like a dream...
I guess I'm trying to say that, if installed correctly, lauan is VERY durable and is flexible enough to mold to almost any inside curve.

Enjoying your build too - looking great!

Tight lines!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Got to finish the bunk bed! Unfortunately it took two weeks since I had to miss a weekend for traveling. Some of the wood got slightly warped which made construction a challenge. But things are going smoothly right now.