Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t Liner
Re: College student taking on 2000 Thomas Saf-t Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m
Looking good!

I actually really like the look of that paneling you are using-- I think I might have to use that in my bus! What exactly is it and where did ya get it, if you dont mind me askin?

About the level... I'm not sure if you've considered this, and I only mention it because I had a friend of mine do the same thing in his bus, but unless you know it's parked on a perfectly level drive, a level is not going to be much help for making things 'level' inside your bus. That 1/2" difference could be a dip in your driveway. Jus throwing that out there!

Keep truckin man, you're making good progress
It is underlayment from Home Depot. It is bendable too which is nice! And the driveway is level I believe. Not my driveway so its hard to judge! But looking at the driveway it appears to be level. I plan to keep all the paneling that color since I really like it, I will end up putting some type of stain on it to cover seams. Maybe a darker color stain, but I like the wood look. Stain will go on the 2x4s as well.
nachosforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #72

By underlayment, do you mean the Home Depot 5.2mm Lauan?
If so, that stuff is almost bulletproof and very flexible.
I built a 15' pirogue (cajun flat bottom canoe) from that exact stuff - with cloth and epoxy on the outside and epoxy inside.
It's damn near bulletproof and has handled rough use at my hands for ten years now.
I'm a big guy (250#) and that lauan has stood up to me standing in the boat while it was perched on broken concrete.
It looks rough underneath but is totally water tight and still paddles like a dream...
I guess I'm trying to say that, if installed correctly, lauan is VERY durable and is flexible enough to mold to almost any inside curve.

Enjoying your build too - looking great!

Tight lines!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t Liner

Got to finish the bunk bed! Unfortunately it took two weeks since I had to miss a weekend for traveling. Some of the wood got slightly warped which made construction a challenge. But things are going smoothly right now.

nachosforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote