Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t Liner
College student taking on 2000 Thomas Saf-t Liner

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and new to the whole skoolie conversion projects as well. I purchased a 2000 Thomas Saf-T liner rear engine bus at the beginning of the month and have started my own conversion project! Don't have any photos to attach to this thread at the moment since I am posting from a remote computer. But I do have a website http://www.joeandabus.com that has pictures and will be continuously updated! Hopefully tonight I can post a few pictures here.

Also I have very little experience with power tools, construction, or most things I need to build this bus. So I am planning to learn along the way. This place will probably become my second home for asking questions(especially with electrical work!).
nachosforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: College student taking on 2000 Thomas Saf-t Liner

You buy it from the Montgomery County auctions? Nice looking bus.
bustagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustagator
You buy it from the Montgomery County auctions? Nice looking bus.
Bought it through Govdeals.com. But it is/was a Montgomery County bus. The guy at the depot said to bring it by when I am done with it. He thinks it sounds really cool.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Welcome to the madhouse where we have a thing for photos of our buses! And other buses! And weird buses! And normie buses!

We also do stupid stuff and poke fun at each other but it's all in good fun (mostly).

Oh, good, ya got the GOOD Thomas Saf-T Liner (the one with the straight walls). Good on ya! Looks darned near new. I like it! It's sooooooo shiny. That yellow. It's intense, man.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1997
Chassis: International Amtram Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 87

Welcome o brave one. Research research research.... research everything and plan. Then approach with well informed realistic expectations.

I was bidding on a 2000 Thomas Safety liner at the beginning of the month lol. Did you get it on publicsurplus.com?
My Facebook Blog: http://www.facebook.com/sliceoflifeRv
missingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingTexas
Welcome o brave one. Research research research.... research everything and plan. Then approach with well informed realistic expectations.

I was bidding on a 2000 Thomas Safety liner at the beginning of the month lol. Did you get it on publicsurplus.com?
Research was all I did at my summer job! And I got it from govdeals.com. I found the bids there to be cheaper than publicsurplus. And my work blocked publicsurplus halfway through the summer oddly enough... Was browsing publicsurplus in the morning, came back from lunch, and no longer could access it.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Cool. I bought mine last month on Govdeals too, same auction from Montgomery County. I paid about $700 more for mine though I wanted one of the ones with low miles and I guess I wasn't the only one

Were the seats easy to take out?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustagator
Cool. I bought mine last month on Govdeals too, same auction from Montgomery County. I paid about $700 more for mine though I wanted one of the ones with low miles and I guess I wasn't the only one

Were the seats easy to take out?
In the process of taking the seats out. Using a grinder with a cutting wheel to get them out. Thats not hard. Getting the remaining part out is pretty challenging. Making "X" cuts into the bolts and just hammering them out with a crowbar. Probably not the most efficient way to do it but it works.

How many miles are on yours? Are you a Montgomery County local?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Mine has 145k on it, there was one with 126k but the one I got ran a lot quieter. How many does yours have?

Thanks for the tips on the seats, taking them out and removing the wall and ceiling panels are the things I'm really not looking forward to.

I'm from CT, wanted something that had less rust on it than what I could get here in New England. Getting the bus back here was interesting. I take it you're from Maryland?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Mine has 243k on it. Underside is a bit rusted, but nothing i didnt expect from something with so much usage. I am from Maryland so it wasnt a bad trip, got a towing company since I couldnt legally drive it. I got a grinder and cutting wheels from harbor freight. Grinder was $21 and cutting wheels are $7 for a pack of 10. Those are the bread and water to my bus at the moment