Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Converting The ChuckMobile!

Hello all!

Over the past few years I've had a low key desire to get a school bus to bring out camping and to music festivals but never thought that I'd get around to pulling the trigger. A few months ago, my 2008 Ford Escape decided to crap the bed on me, and after numerous problems I decided I didn't want to deal with it anymore and be done with it. I live in Chicago with my girlfriend and she has a car, and we really don't need to have two cars, so it actually works out.

Then I got to thinking, why don't I actually get a school bus? I started looking around and found some amazing projects that inspired me. I began searching around and posting in some communities. Now, I finally have my bus!

I purchased a 2003 Blue Bird All American, 72 passenger. 154,000 miles, Cummins 5.9, Allison 545, all for $6500 out the door. I know that's a little steep of a price, but I bought it an hour away from where I live and it ended up working out pretty well for me not having to travel elsewhere.

I've been away with work the past few weeks since I bought it so I haven't spent any time with it. My first goal is to get the Haloview MC7101 backup camera system installed, so if anyone has suggestions there I'll be all ears! I'd like to take my non-CDL Class B driver's test in it first before I start conversion, and I feel like the camera will definitely help. I'm hoping I can still take the test with it being yellow, since it's pretty much too cold in Illinois to properly paint it at this point.

Anyway, I'll stop talking now. I'll try to update here as I go along, but we've also got an Instagram if anyone cares to follow! It's https://instagram.com/TheChuckMobile.

Thanks!

JPEG_20181005_183613.jpeg
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Skoolie

Dude where at in chi town ??
I think you did right at 6500. If you would have spent 3500 on an auction and had fuel time off and flight expenses etc etc. it all adds up. Something to be siad for convenience. I found mine an hour away to.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Dude where at in chi town ??
I think you did right at 6500. If you would have spent 3500 on an auction and had fuel time off and flight expenses etc etc. it all adds up. Something to be siad for convenience. I found mine an hour away to.
I'm in proper Chicago but the bus will be stored up in the north burbs.

And yeah, I agree with you. The convenience of paying a little bit more for not having to travel, and buy locally was definitely a big selling point for sure.
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote