Old 07-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Cool Bus Haysville KS

I gotta ask... how wide are those bunks in the back? I see they fit petty well next to the emergency exit, but they look wider than 24".

Just curious because I want a regular twin in mine, but have to move it up near the wheel well to free up the back door.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
I gotta ask... how wide are those bunks in the back? I see they fit petty well next to the emergency exit, but they look wider than 24".

Just curious because I want a regular twin in mine, but have to move it up near the wheel well to free up the back door.
The flat surface of the bunks that the matress lays on is 31" by 75" And there is a cubby hole storage bin at the head of each bunk and a small space at the foot end to fill the gap. The one on the drivers side is open underneath for the plumbing to go through to the bathroom on the other side of the wall. The one on the passenger side of the bus I believe is just dead air space.
Underneath the drivers side bunk is the water tank and also the hot water tank and the 12V water pump. the doors open upward for access. the passenger side is drawers for storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0738.JPG (911.0 KB, 826 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0737.JPG (808.6 KB, 824 views)

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #13
Skoolie

heres a couple pics of the cubby hole at the head of the bunks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0736.JPG (477.6 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0734.JPG (766.3 KB, 545 views)

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
Skoolie

Just a funny realization from tonights ride to Lowes and Wal-mart. If you drive your bus to the store, you dont have to remember where you parked. Its pretty easy to find in the parking lot!!

IYAAYAS
Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
Skoolie

LOL no, he actually forgot. I remember him telling me so when I was telling him that the carpeted floor looks great.

Went up to my friends dump truck shop to use their big jack and air impact wrench to lift up the rear axle. I found that dad wasnt paying close attention when he put the RR outer dual wheel on. I couldnt get to the air valve to check/add air to the inner wheel. Then since I was in the area I cruised right up to the sand pit and they let me drive across their scale so I could see what she weighs in at. 17,440 lbs with full water tank and 1 90% full fuel tank.

IYAAYAS
Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

31" isn't too bad for a single bunk. A normal twin mattress is 39", a normal queen mattress is 60". So the 31" is roughly the space a person would have if they normally shared a queen sized bed.

I've gotten used to the twin size, though. Don't know if I'm willing to give up that extra space now that I've gotten it back! I know...TMI!!!

Thanks for the info!!! It really helps me think and rethink placement of the bed.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #17
Skoolie

I have been toying with the idea of placing plywood across the bunks and making the whole back end into a king size bed. But I forsee a major problem... How do you get a king size matress IN there after the thing is already built??possibly an air bed or something I suppose.

IYAAYAS
Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

Foam mattress? Could roll it up and bring it in as is...that might work.. there is no way we're going to put anything less than a queen in our back bedroom..
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #19
Skoolie

Yah a foam mattress may do the trick... I saw some kind of King size memory foam matress thing at Sams the other day. Its in a box that would fit through the back door too. I might grab one of thoseand take it out of the box AFTER its inside the bus! What I'm thinking about may have been just a matress topper though. I will have to go check.

Today I fired up the hot water tank and heated me up some water. It stunk of gas something bad though. I looked in the burner area and saw a lazy looking yellow flame in there. So I'm thinking HOUUUUUSSSTON!! We have a Problem!!! So I jumped on the handy internet and read up on what to do for an LP water heater thats been sitting a while. Turns out your supposed to clean out the gas burner tube BEFORE you light the pilot light. OK fine. So I turned it off and took stuff apart and cleaned it out. My apologies to the dozen or so spider egg colonies I wiped out. They should have paid rent or something before taking up residence in my gas tube. I put stuff back together and fired it up again with no spider egg webs for filtration and now have a nice blue flame to heat up my water and it doesnt stink or smoke now!! BONUS!!

Somewhere in its lifetime my bus has had another fuel tank added. I can tell its not factory because when you open the fuel door for the second tank the hole looks like it was cut with scissors by a 3 year old. Also the switch is located on the floor right in a good spot for kids to step on when getting on and off the bus. Dad never used this tank because he wasnt sure if the switch to switch to the second tank worked or not. I was talking to the girlfriend about it and trying to come up with a way to test it out to tel us for sure if the switch worked. I had us taking a couple extra gas cans with us and just wait till it gets low and then go for a cruise and run her out of gas and then put gas in the other tank. I had several other complicated ideas that would tell us what I wanted to know. So she says "why dont we just fire it up and let it idle and switch the tanks over and then let it run a lil longer and see if it runs out of gas"??
WELL DUHHHHHH Why didnt I think of that?? So we did and yes it ran out of gas. So COOL! I have a working second fuel tank thats bigger than the 30? gal primary tank. BUT, when you switch it over it doesnt show the fuel level of the second tank.

I also had a brainstorm tonight about adding a 110 volt light in the dinette area. I'm thinking about a florescent light mounted to the ceiling. I'm not sure yet about how a florescent light will ride?? I really dont want to drop a couple bulbs out on my head or on my dinette when travelling down the road and hitting a bump!

IYAAYAS
Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #20

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2l DD
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
I also had a brainstorm tonight about adding a 110 volt light in the dinette area. I'm thinking about a florescent light mounted to the ceiling. I'm not sure yet about how a florescent light will ride?? I really dont want to drop a couple bulbs out on my head or on my dinette when travelling down the road and hitting a bump!
Maybe use a fixture with a cover as opposed to a 'shop light' fixture, and then screw the cover in place. The screw would have to be removed to change the bulb, but would also have to fall out for the bulb to fall. Some kitchen or bathroom fixtures even have metal brackets around the plastic cover, perfect for a self tapping screw. Talk to the guy at the electrical supply house and tell him what you want. Many fixtures are set up to keep bulbs in place during earthquakes, or at least keep them from falling. Some have simple wire clips that go around the bulb.
Screw in florescent bulbs are simpler to secure and draw less power.

As I have read through this thread, one thing I remember about vehicles I have got running after letting them sit idle for years is - check the rubber under the hood closely- hoses, belts, tubes, all tend to dry rot and wait till you are on the interstate 20 miles from anything to give up the ghost. It is so much easier and cheaper just to replace suspect hoses and belts at home, than pay towing on a 17k lb vehicle.

What a cool old Skoolie you have there! It looks like you are gonna have fun with it!
dbluez is offline   Reply With Quote