Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Cool Bus Haysville KS

I recently bought a twin foam mattress from Walmart. It's 6" thick (the thickest thing they had), and must admit - with a regular piece of foam under it - it's pretty damned comfy! A tad hot, though, which will be great for winter naps .

Just make sure to read the box before buying. It should state how thick the mattress will be once opened. And for heaven's sake... make SURE it's really what you want AND that it is in place before breaking the seal on the vacuum-packed plastic! The twin weighs a ton by itself. I can't imagine what the king will be like. You'll have to work with it as it unfolds to get it into position before it's finished "inflating". Once it's up to its normal size, it will be a bear to move again (mainly because it doesn't have any solid way to hold onto it without ripping the foam).

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Tyger, I looked at the king size memory foam matress I was thinking about from Sams. Its just the right thing and in a box that I am pretty sure would fit through the back door. HOWEVER... its $449 bucks!!!
I am waiting on a little more info I have a lead on a king size double pillow top for the exact right price $0 FREE!!
And I am also waiting on a return call about a camper awning I know the whereabouts of. Trying to see if I can score that as well.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #23
Skoolie

Well today was an interesting one. First we went to Wal-Mart and bought a new battery for the bus. My uncle was kind enough to loan me one the day I got her up and running and he needed it back. Then went to Autozone and came up with a new set of radiator hoses. I looked at them as per someone on here advised and WOW the top one was still holding but it was split and I could see threads and stuff which we all know its only a matter of time before it blows. And we all know it will NEVER happen until Im not at home close to my tools. Then took the other battery back to my uncles house 30 miles away and looked at a FREE RV awning. The awning was TRASHED. VERY rotted. But at least I have access to a frame and hardware if I can come up with a good 17 foot awning. So I got home with the new battery and hoses. Installed everything and filled up the radiator. I was going to start her up and let it warm up to see if it was gonna burp out any air so I could dump in more antifreeze. I hit the key and nothing but one solitary click from the starter. WTF??? So I looked at it all and decided the cables are crap anyway and really old. So back to Autozone. I decided to splurge a couple more bucks and get the 2 guage battery cables instead of the 4 guage. I decided I needed a 25 inch and a 38 inch. Might as well grab a battery hold down thing too. They dont have a 38 inch cable so no biggie I'll just hit the Oreileys up the street. NO 2 guage cables except ones you have to make yourself that cost more and they didnt even have all the parts. So off to another Autozone. Got my 25 inch cable and the 38 inch and the battery holder downer. then we began the trek back home. I put the 25 inch neg cable on and then when I went to put on the 38 inch cable.... Its about 2 inches too short! I even measured twice. The old cable that was on there was like 5 feet long and I figured we dont need it to be that long. So... BACK to the first Autozone. Returned the 38 inch cable and opted for the 48 inch cable since they didnt have a 42 or 45. Four and a half hours to install a battery and battery cables!!!! After we got it up and running again we took the bus for a cruise and wound up BACK at Autozone again. I forgot I needed a rubber grommet for the EGR? valve on the valve cover. So there is me and the Autozone guy out in the parking lot figuring out which one I needed. Got my grommet. Now lets eat! Cruised around the corner to KFC. One the way home I decided I might as well grab some new belts so I know where we stand as far as those go. I bought two belts and a set of valve cover gaskets and wanted to just try the one for the power steering because it seemed way too long. Sure enough it was. So back into the store, return the belt and got a different one. I'm gonna hopefully put them on first thing in the am and I really, really, REALLY hope I dont have to go back to Autozone tomorrow!!!!

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 08-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Doncha just LOVE days like that?! Sounds like you have a LOT of work to do. Good luck!

For the RV awning, try looking on ebay. They normally have a gazillion awnings listed, but they're all just the fabric, no hardware. Perfect for your purposes.
Here's a bunch of listings from Sunday morning: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Do you have an album yet? If so, what's the name?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

HEHEHE...that just sounded like a fun day!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #26
Skoolie

No Tyger I dont have an album. I dont know how to make one.
Wouldnt you know it. I had to go back to Autozone this morning. The Alternator belt was just right but the 35 inch belt the guy said he thought I needed turned out to be too short. I took him the one that came off my engine and LMAO!! It turns out that it was off of a lawnmower! But it was the right length so he measured it and got me another one of the same size.
And thanks Tyger for the ebay links I'll take a look!

IYAAYAS
Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #27
Skoolie

OK I havent been on in a few days, just thought I'd update.
I finally figured out how to make a gallery so now I have photos in the gallery yee haww!
My mom just moved back here to Wichita from Pennsylvania so I've been being Mr. Handyman around her new house changing lightbulbs and putting stuff together for her and the like. I really wish I was an electrician because we have found some outlets that dont work. Same identical outlets in two bathrooms and a couple lights we cant get to work. and running back and forth inside and outside trying to figure out which lightswitch turns on what light and stuff like that.
Anyway... went to Lowes this past weekend and they were having a sale. The fridge I had picked out was on sale marked down from 279 bucks to 219. So I bought one. The gas/electric fridge that was in the bus wasnt working and I dont know why (I'm no Fridgeologist). But I got my new 4.4 cubic foot apt sized fridge in the space and now I believe I have an awesome size fridge for an RV. THEN this weekend was also city wide garage sale weekend here in town. The girlfriend and I cruised up and down the streets and just window shopped from the nice air conditioning inside my truck. Well we were almost done and about to head home when we spied a king sized bed. While trying to find a spot to turn the truck around in heavy foot traffic and lots of vehicular traffic as well we passed another sale with another king sized matress. We went back and checked them out and the first one was alredy sold. BUMMER! So we checked out the other one. $200 on the price tag. Nah I said too much money. I was hoping to spend a lot less on one. We went around the block and wound up driving by the second garage sale again and my GF says "hey it looks like they marked down the price of the matress to like $75 now." I'm like NOOOO theres no way they marked it down that far its probably 175 and still more than I wanna talk about with them. Shes adamant that it was 75 so we wound up going around the block AGAIN and I stopped and got out and looked. and WOW it WAS $75!!! The lady at the sale saw me checking it out and said make an offer I dont wanna store it. So I offered her $50 and she said yes!!! We hauled the thing home on top of my topper and then realized something very important...
How do we get it INSIDE the bus???????????? Its waaay too big to go through the back door. It would have slid on its side through the front but there is the matter of the 2 steps immediately inside the door. 2 ratchet straps later and a lot of cussing. We had the thing crammed and shoved and jammed and kicked and stuffed through the front door twisted up the steps and then standing up on its side inside the bus. Turns out a king size matress on its side is slightly wider than a bus is tall on the inside. but we managed to slide it all the way to the back and get it flopped over and laying down across the two bunks on either side. I have some plywood in the garage that I am gonna cut and slide in the back door under the mattress to support the middle. Theres about 6 or 8 inches on each side of the mattress to the wall. OH YEAH!!! I'm gonna be sleepin on a really nice king size bed in my bus !!

IYAAYAS
Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
OH YEAH!!! I'm gonna be sleepin on a really nice king size bed in my bus !!
Sweetness! That's great and what a SCORE!
Congratulations on your new bed.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #29
Skoolie

I found a hood ornament on the internet I had to get. A Bugler Swan. I really like the shape to it. I was gonna try to find one from an old car that was some type of bird. I had almost decided on a 55 or 56 Chevy Bel-Aire. Then I found the Swan. I like how it kind of goes with the Bluebird logo as well!! Its off to the powdercoater later today and going to be a candy blue. After all.... Its going on a BLUEBIRD!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0775.JPG   IMG_0774.JPG  

IYAAYAS
Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
Skoolie

Got my hood ornament back from the powdercoaters yesterday. Got it all mounted up and it looks GREAT!! I had it powderoated candy blue since it goes on a Bluebird. I just wanted to show it off to y'all. The pic doesnt do it justice at all. Its an overcast trying to rain type day, but in the sunlight, the color is AWESOME!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0777.JPG   IMG_0776.JPG  

IYAAYAS
Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #31
Skoolie

Can anybody shed some light on what is the deal with these hoses? Why are the there? I've never seen anything like this before except on my bus here. Its a 350 by the way. It seems to me that we are bypassing the thermostat?? WHY??? I'm in the process of putting on a new water pump. The shaft that the fan is on wobbles when it runs. NOT GOOD!!!!
Would it be a BAD thing if I did away with this mess? Less hoses to blow out later. Not to mention easier to put back together. But if its something that needs to be there I would leave it. I just dont see why we would bypass the thermostat like that??
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0782.JPG  

IYAAYAS
Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

it is a way for the cooling system to bypass the thermostat for quicker warmups and it relieves the pressure on the cooling system created by the waterpump while the stat is closed plus prevents water pump cavitation. if you have a heater, it can all be blocked off as the heater core acts as the bypass. BUT, on buses you usually have valves to close off the heater system from circulating coolant, therefore the bypass is required in that instance.
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #33
Skoolie

yep there is shutoff valves on the heater hoses. Thank you!! for the info. I made the right decision to put the stuff back on then.

IYAAYAS
Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #34
Skoolie

Soooo... Just for curiosity... on cars like some streetrods I have seen like a 23 T bucket. There is no heater core. Just the water pump and radiator and 2 hoses for a cooling system. What prevents the cavitatation and excess pressure on the system on a setup like that??

IYAAYAS
Old 10-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #35
Skoolie

ahhh! I will have to look at them closer then!!

IYAAYAS
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #36
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
Soooo... Just for curiosity... on cars like some streetrods I have seen like a 23 T bucket. There is no heater core. Just the water pump and radiator and 2 hoses for a cooling system. What prevents the cavitatation and excess pressure on the system on a setup like that??
on some pumps there is a internal bypass. its small hole about 3/8" diameter below the pass side leg of the pump. Some people plug this bypass with a small freeze plug (I have) to prevent hot water re-entering the system right on the #2 cyl. plus some dont use a stat at all and instead just use a restriction washer, (think gutted out thermostat) that slows the flow down to absorb more heat from the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
!Bbc5Oy!!2k~$(KGrHqIH-DQEqtV2Dy8dBKwEpcwNsg~~_3.jpg  
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

What about marine paint? I restored an older sailboat once, and used Rustoleum marine paint. WOW, it flowed out nice and had a semi-gloss shine to it. I was really amazed at how well it worked by just rolling on with a foam roller. The paint is a little more expensive but goes a long way, and its formulated for a harsher enviroment. It might just work great. It did for my boat.
kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #38
Skoolie

Thanks for the ideas!! Before I do anything on paint, I am going to have my Uncle look at it and give his input as well. Hes a professional painting guy. Has a business in OK that paints industrial trucks, Oilfield, Concrete pumpers, etc... I talked briefly once with him about having his business do it with me helping and his way of doing things would have come out to be $2000 to $2500. But I'd have an AWESOME paint job! But I'm looking to go the cheap route. But I won't be doing anything till next spring or summer I think.

IYAAYAS