Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
Re: Cool Bus Haysville KS

Can anybody shed some light on what is the deal with these hoses? Why are the there? I've never seen anything like this before except on my bus here. Its a 350 by the way. It seems to me that we are bypassing the thermostat?? WHY??? I'm in the process of putting on a new water pump. The shaft that the fan is on wobbles when it runs. NOT GOOD!!!!
Would it be a BAD thing if I did away with this mess? Less hoses to blow out later. Not to mention easier to put back together. But if its something that needs to be there I would leave it. I just dont see why we would bypass the thermostat like that??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0782.JPG (649.4 KB, 467 views)

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

it is a way for the cooling system to bypass the thermostat for quicker warmups and it relieves the pressure on the cooling system created by the waterpump while the stat is closed plus prevents water pump cavitation. if you have a heater, it can all be blocked off as the heater core acts as the bypass. BUT, on buses you usually have valves to close off the heater system from circulating coolant, therefore the bypass is required in that instance.
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #33
Skoolie

yep there is shutoff valves on the heater hoses. Thank you!! for the info. I made the right decision to put the stuff back on then.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #34
Skoolie

Soooo... Just for curiosity... on cars like some streetrods I have seen like a 23 T bucket. There is no heater core. Just the water pump and radiator and 2 hoses for a cooling system. What prevents the cavitatation and excess pressure on the system on a setup like that??

IYAAYAS
Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 AM   #35
Skoolie

ahhh! I will have to look at them closer then!!

IYAAYAS
Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #36
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
Soooo... Just for curiosity... on cars like some streetrods I have seen like a 23 T bucket. There is no heater core. Just the water pump and radiator and 2 hoses for a cooling system. What prevents the cavitatation and excess pressure on the system on a setup like that??
on some pumps there is a internal bypass. its small hole about 3/8" diameter below the pass side leg of the pump. Some people plug this bypass with a small freeze plug (I have) to prevent hot water re-entering the system right on the #2 cyl. plus some dont use a stat at all and instead just use a restriction washer, (think gutted out thermostat) that slows the flow down to absorb more heat from the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !Bbc5Oy!!2k~$(KGrHqIH-DQEqtV2Dy8dBKwEpcwNsg~~_3.jpg (40.3 KB, 425 views)
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

What about marine paint? I restored an older sailboat once, and used Rustoleum marine paint. WOW, it flowed out nice and had a semi-gloss shine to it. I was really amazed at how well it worked by just rolling on with a foam roller. The paint is a little more expensive but goes a long way, and its formulated for a harsher enviroment. It might just work great. It did for my boat.
kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #38
Skoolie

Thanks for the ideas!! Before I do anything on paint, I am going to have my Uncle look at it and give his input as well. Hes a professional painting guy. Has a business in OK that paints industrial trucks, Oilfield, Concrete pumpers, etc... I talked briefly once with him about having his business do it with me helping and his way of doing things would have come out to be $2000 to $2500. But I'd have an AWESOME paint job! But I'm looking to go the cheap route. But I won't be doing anything till next spring or summer I think.

IYAAYAS