Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
Cool Bus Haysville KS

1969 Chevrolet Bluebird 65 passenger.... RV ITS not a BUS!!
My dad bought the bus about ohhh 20 ?? years ago from a church. They had driven it back from Denver at about 35 mph INTO a headwind in 5th gear. This is a good way to drop a piston into the oil pan and now the thing is worthless. So Dad bought it from the church for next to nothing and put in a used 350 Chevy 4 bolt main. Dad then completely stripped the interior and then he bought a wrecked 19?? Royals International camper trailer. He then took all the parts from inside it and transferred them into the bus. So I'm pretty proud of it and I will get some pics of it up on the site in the gallery as soon as I figure out how to post them. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of dad DOING the conversion. I just have pics of it from when it was sittin down at my Uncles place. I just got her running last weekend. Me and my girlfriend were talking about it and she says "hey this Saturday lets go see what its gonna take to get it to run"
So we went down and aired up the tires, borrowed a battery from my uncle, filled up the radiator and master cylinder, and poured a lil bit of gas in the carb. It cranked over a couple times and fired right up!! I sat there waiting to run the gas out of the carb but it just kept running and running. I was AMAZED!!! I guess dad had a little bit of forethought when he parked it and left it with Sta-Bil in the gas. I still didnt think 5 year old gas would work. but hey I drove it the 30 miles back to my house and I've only added 5 gallons of good gas in the tank.
So far I have installed a new CD player in place of dads old AM-FM push button radio. I put an on off rocker switch in line with the power from the battery to the new stereo so if the bus will be parked for a while I can kill the juice to the clock and memory so we dont kill the battery.
I have installed a 12 volt converter I found in dads basement in place of the older model converter that wasnt putting out 12 volt power. So now I can use the 12V stuff. Lights, water pump, etc.
I hooked up city water to the water inlet to see if that would work and promptly found that the drain plug was missing from the hot water tank. But that was OK because it belched out a BUNCH of nasty rusty looking water out of the drain hole when I pressurized the water lines. So now with a plug in place I filled up the water tank. I hit the switch for the 12 volt pump and I now have running water!! Tomorrow I will hopefully be lighting the pilot light on the hot water tank to see if thats gonna work.
I have found that the master cylinder is leaking so I am going to need to address that soon... LIKE NOW!!! I hate it now that I am tagged and insured and cant go cruising for lack of brakes. I HAVE BRAKES, BUT they are sorta there and you have to plan ahead when you are stopping. waaay ahead. OK I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to get some pics on here.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Cool Bus Haysville KS

ok I guess I'm stupid... How do I upload pics in the gallery????

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Skoolie

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0152.JPG (1,009.1 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0153.JPG (978.4 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0157.JPG (984.9 KB, 832 views)

IYAAYAS
Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas

Looks like fun to me. good luck
Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Skoolie

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.JPG (968.3 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0158.JPG (878.0 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0161.JPG (988.8 KB, 831 views)

IYAAYAS
Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Skoolie

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.JPG (729.3 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.JPG (832.9 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0167.JPG (1,015.3 KB, 833 views)

IYAAYAS
Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Your dad did a really fine job on his conversion. He is a bus master. Were the stickers yours from when you were a kid? If so, you can tell your dad loves you, a lot.
LOL no the stickers and UGLYYYY grey marble contact paper and the butterflies were all his girlfriends additions. When I found the stickers all over the place I almost blew a gasket! You dont stick stuff like that on finished WOOD!!! And after dad passed on, I let her stay in his house for a while till she got her own place and she put that same grey contact paper on the wood paneling in the house!!!!

Dad had started this project when I was 17 I think, and then I went into the Air Force at 19 and was gone form home for most of the build. I always enjoyed seeing the progress every time I came home on leave though.

IYAAYAS
Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

What a cool old bus! Looks like a fun project! Keep us informed with many photos...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
Skoolie

I need to go take a couple pics tomorrow. I took it out tonight and we went to Wal-Mart!! I stopped at a car wash on the way home... well actually it took two stops before we found one tall enough and that was a fun ordeal getting it turned around and in the bay in their small lot. I power washed all the gunky crap off the hood and stuff and took a lot of white paint with it. So now my yellow is bleeding through bad.
I hate to do it, but I'm strongly considering spending a weekend with house paint and Rust Oleum to get her back to white and black.

IYAAYAS
Old 07-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Skoolie

Yes Sir Smitty! She likes it. And I have alreay gotten driving tips from her too. Shes a school bus driver here. Last night after going to Wal-Mart we washed it and then on the way home around midnight or so there were some younger folks whose party had wound up out in the street. I guess they had seen us leave earlier. But coming down the street to the house they hollered STOP!!! STOP!!!!! So I hit the alternating lights up top and stopped. They just wanted to see the bus. So I invited them in to take a look around. One guy was bound and determined that I should sell him my bus. They were extremely impressed with the bus. And I was extremely proud to show it off too!!

IYAAYAS