Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #1

Cost to fix when bus shopping

Hey everyone we're getting ready to jump in and buy our bus this summer, we decided to stick to gov auction sites per suggestion from a 'friend' who recently finished their conversion.

A few of the listings say that there is internal engine issues, but it runs. Does anyone know what that would mean or how much it would cost to fix?

We don't have the ability to go see buses in person as most auction lots are about 2-4h from us and we would likely have to have it delivered via flat bed. (Anyone know a general cost for that?)

Anything you suggest looking for in sale-auction postings vs Cost? Models to stay away from? We were cautioned to be aware of auction re-sellers who jack their prices.

We would like something about 72 seats not flat nosed as we need the space in the back for utility/garage.

Marietta Georgia.
Kat

JKCebanosG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCebanosG View Post
Hey everyone we're getting ready to jump in and buy our bus this summer, we decided to stick to gov auction sites per suggestion from a 'friend' who recently finished their conversion.

A few of the listings say that there is internal engine issues, but it runs. Does anyone know what that would mean or how much it would cost to fix?

We don't have the ability to go see buses in person as most auction lots are about 2-4h from us and we would likely have to have it delivered via flat bed. (Anyone know a general cost for that?)

Anything you suggest looking for in sale-auction postings vs Cost? Models to stay away from? We were cautioned to be aware of auction re-sellers who jack their prices.

We would like something about 72 seats not flat nosed as we need the space in the back for utility/garage.

Marietta Georgia.
Kat
A front engine flat nosed bus has the rear door as well.
A rebuild is going to run in the 3-10k range depending on the motor and what needs replacing.
Paying 5k instead of 2k for a mechanically sound engine is much more appealing to me lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Unless you're willing to take a gamble on a bus with known problems, simply buy one that says it runs.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Spend a little more on a bus without the engine issues as depending on what is wrong, could end up costing you a ton. Good luck and I hope everything works out.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Find one from someone that is known to maintain them. If it's from a school district or other government entity you can likely talk to the fleet maintenance people and ask how they normally take care of their fleet. Even if their policy is not to share records.

Plan on buying new tires in most cases. Even with good tread they're probably old. Worse thing you can do is pop on the highway with an overloaded bus and sh*t tires.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
I second the idea of calling to talk to maintenance departments. We did this for every bus we bid on, just to see what information we could find. Of course we ended up buying the one who barely told us anything, but that was only because the price was so good it was worth the gamble.

You can mitigate your risk significantly just by doing this. The better the answers, the more it's worth.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I called after I bought my bus. They didn't have all that much information, but it wasn't for lack of trying. The nice woman I spoke to, called me back hours after she had told me that she didn't have any records left for my bus... Just to tell me she asked the mechanics if there was anything they remembered.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I was completely naive. But after I won the bid, I went to the school bus garage and one of the mechanics there told me it was sound and I couldn't have gotten a better bus. He gave me the folder filled with all of the maintenance records over the years. NY State wants copies of maintenance every 6 months so need it or not, something was​ done twice a year just to keep the state happy.
It's a bus from my old high​ school actually... How awesome is that? And it's only a 10 minute drive. They want to see it when I'm finished

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Tags
action, buying, engine, mechanical problems, newbie