Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Re: Crazy Man Platt bus

Congratulations on your new bus and welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of good information here and lots of people willing to supply you with an answer.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

home owners ass. can lick me today i am my home owners association. bylaw occifers are not welcome here either.thank god im a red neck nuk! have fun with the bus and piss them off at will timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Bus Nut

WELCOME to the BEST Skoolie forum on the WWW.

She looks like she is in pretty good shape your bus. And make sure you tell your buddies to follow the posted rules.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Homwners' Associations - A friend of mine from about 20 years ago once owned a house in a development in Florida where the rules were you had to keep your garage door closed. He would drive around with his remote to see how many doors were on the same code as his, and then leave them open. There was no way he could mess with the rule you had to leave your porch light off, though.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Bus Geek

sorry to hear about your job.

i know what ya mean about buses being like a disease! I've completed 4 buses now. Sold my last one a month or two ago. I'm working feverishly trying to finish the new hosue that i bought, i have approximately zero free time or money ,and i'm contemplating buying a new bus. I want a short bus this time...preferably with a cummins 5.9.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

wow at least they gave you 6 months notice up here in the trades the notice amount is 1 hour to pack yer tools and out you go yea its slowing down up here too with too many started projects not gettin built and the fear od recession its lookin like i may be headin for a real slow winter at work so ill bundle down into the underworld .....like everyone else at least that bus will keep us busy!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Hmmmmmmm....
When you buy a house, you sign a contract. A legally binding contract, enforcable in court. Part of that contract is any Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions that are recorded with the deed of title. This stuff is Part Of Your House, just as sure as the planks and bricks. So you read the CC&Rs, and if you don't agree with everything there, you don't buy that house. Pretty straight forward, really. Civilized.

In your case, you might want to check the CC&Rs for a ban on outdoor auto repair. Very common. And no, I doubt the court would agree that the bus is not an auto, and that you are building, not repairing.

Hey... I'm not a jerk -- some of you guys know that. I just want you to understand what's going on, before you get in too much trouble. If the CC&Rs say that the HA can fine you, then this could get very expensive.

All my best,

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

That's a relief! Best of luck!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Bus Nut

You say there is a number of guys at work that think the bus is cool. Do any of them live in a place where you could store it? Tell them they can use it if they provide free storage and maybe get a little free labor out of them as well.

Sure glad I don't have a HOA.

Actually, I do. It's called a wife! Maybe someday I'll get her to change the bylaws and let me get a skoolie!

First I got about 12000 other projects around the house to finish.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

you make me wax nostalgic. When I bought my bus about 26 years ago I had to evict the current tenants as I removed seats. Wasps of ever kind. While I didn't enjoy being stung after a few times it didn't seem to hurt so bad. But getting those seats out changed its personality and gave me a good feeling. Only a Skoolie would understand. Good job and carry on.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

sounds like you got the bus bug bad! It is the only fulfilling sickness to aquire. Just wondering if you plan on converting your project to run on veg?
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

Sounds like to me your gonna have blast. I haven't had a bus for a long time,had one back in the mid and late 70's. Just got a 85 G.M.C. 6000 series 366C.I.D. engine with a Allision auto.60 pass. Ive been really blessed with people that have got second hand R. V. parts and appliances. Having a welding service is also handy ,I love the people you meet on the road. Drop me a line any time. Russell
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40

Bussin it up has put me in touch with some of the people that I would consider my tribe. The skoolie gathering should build some more steam. It would be great if it got to be a big thing. Waaaay fun!
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 70

Good luck with your project. My old girl is also a 90 GMC with a Ward body but our snouts are very different. I see a lot of similarities in your switches. The 8.2 GM I have seems very dependable but I wish it had a turbo. I have not had any problems out of the tranny. Our conversion is pretty far along and we have been enjoying it. I look forward to more pictures of your project.

Glad I don't have a homeowners association.
wdbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #15

Year: 1956
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: B600
Engine: Org 312 now 440 dodge
Rated Cap: 36

I'm in colorado, and I have built three busses. Well right now I'm on the third. I have enjoyed building them maybe more then using them. I've been all over with them, and the best part is where the guy with the most expensive moterhome want to see my bus. The best catch phrase is,"excuse me but do you have any gray pupon?".
Blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
The best catch phrase is,"excuse me but do you have any gray pupon?".
Yes, but its even better when someone uses it on you and you toss some of those Gray Pupon packets into their window... I did this to a friend when he pulled up along side me and asked. I just said Yep, tossed, and they drove off.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote