Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Crazy toilet idea

Has anyone ever had just a toilet but with no black water tank, just a hole in the floor and a bucket on the ground under the bus?

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Is it just me, or are the crickets kinda loud in here?

I think you'll find that an open container that has body fluids in it will be seriously frowned upon by the health authorities. And we wont talk about the potential for juvenile mischief...
Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Do they even allow trains to dump straight on the tracks anymore????
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Please tell me you're not serious.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
You can attach a three inch stinky slinky to a bayonet fitting at the bottom of the toilet, so you can be hooked up at a park, if your boondocking you can move the hose to a sewage tote, when time to move detach hose, dump your sewage tote, or unhooked from you site, put the hose away and off you go. It will work great if you are at a place with full hook ups, but would be a pain to empty a tote.
gbstewart
Old 01-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
i built an make shift composting toilet.

i built it. 32 in wide by 21 in length by 21 in high.
i used a tub from walmart think it was 32 qts
an ice fishing auger(sans blades)
a toilet seat
oil funnel
3/8th bolt
2 3/8ths washers

tools i used were:
wood screws
drill
hole saw kit
3/8th thread bit

i built the box as normal but mounted the forward bracing 2x4 under to brace instead of the normal situation. i did this to create a lip.

second stage is placing the auger into the tub. you can mount it to the otherside of the tub after you create threads for a bolt inside the center piece of the auger. place a washer on the outside and inside of the tub. test the spin if the auger, if acceptable place the tub inside the framing. mark out where the auger "handle" will extend outwards. take out the tub from the frame. at this time you can add an external vent from the side attached to the wall or plan a vent via a 3 inch flex tube. now encase the three sides and hinge the top portion of the structure. the key to a composting toilet is keeping your pee out. now cut a hole for the toilet seat. i choose a 19 in long seat it worked best for me. take the funnel from the dollar store and cut off the handle. mount this to the lip in some fashion, i just wedge it in between the lip and the top potion of wood myself. now follow the extend hose to about 6-8 inches down. on a 45 degree angle use the hole saw to make an opening for you funnel exit. you can attach several different types of clear containers to the front. secure it with screws (left and right side of container) and a bungie cord allowing for easy emptying.

lay a layer of coconut core down and starting doing your business. right now the design is solely for men. unless you female companions have good aim. im working on the idea for women to be able to comfortably be able to use the facilities as well. I am also curious if anyone would be interesting in buying them if i made them, well the tub portion lol.

it was about 170 for everything, wood and so forth.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
Has anyone ever had just a toilet but with no black water tank, just a hole in the floor and a bucket on the ground under the bus?
That sounds like a fantastic idea. Give it a try and let us know how it works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
...stinky slinky...
HAHAHAHA
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
That sounds like a fantastic idea. Give it a try and let us know how it works out!

HAHAHAHA
Maybe you can drive behind me while I use it? Kidding, this post was mainly for fun lol
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
This thread is definitely Zaphod-approved.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
Skoolie

Sadly, this is actually what some of the low level trucks on the road seem to be doing according to a friend that works at a truck repair shop, only without the bucket. A truck came in for warranty and once they found what all that crusted stuff was on the frame, they reported it and then denied warranty and put the VIN# on a national computer system of some sort. My friend said just walking by the truck it about made him vomit.
That is not substantiated, but the story was told to me and this thread brought to light that some people are thinking of such a system, so......
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Edinburgh Scotland |
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
You SHOULD do this, AND screw a funnel to the wall and have a hose running out of the side also. Thats such an easy mod, I'd put one near the driver's seat as well. No time to stop, no problem....
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
You SHOULD do this, AND screw a funnel to the wall and have a hose running out of the side also. Thats such an easy mod, I'd put one near the driver's seat as well. No time to stop, no problem....

Just make sure the hose exits the wall pointed towards the back of the bus. If it's angled toward the front, it'll be like peeing into a blow dryer.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Once upon a time I had a working Thermasan; they're amazing. I could fill the black tank up 75% or so during a stay and then just drive 200-300 miles on the freeway and my black tank would be nearly empty. I literally used the RV an entire season without once emptying the black tank.

...I never thought much of it until I stopped and got fuel once after a long hot drive with it operating. I think the wind was blowing the wrong direction. Ugh.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
Once upon a time I had a working Thermasan; they're amazing. I could fill the black tank up 75% or so during a stay and then just drive 200-300 miles on the freeway and my black tank would be nearly empty. I literally used the RV an entire season without once emptying the black tank.

Sounds like an interesting yet shady device. But lets be honest; anyone who claims they are from BRC sounds like an interesting yet shady device as well!!
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
A bucket is for ametours!

You should really class it up by first digging a post hole to drop the stinky slinky hose-from-toilet into. Then after a few days you dig a new hole about 12" away from the previous. You can do that several times, like up to a week or even two before you need to move the bus so you can go again.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
Sounds like an interesting yet shady device. But lets be honest; anyone who claims they are from BRC sounds like an interesting yet shady device as well!!
Sure, I might be shady but the Thermasan isn't!

http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Thermasan-flyer.pdf

And since we're on the topic of 'better' toilet solutions this is something I've been considering for quite some time: https://incinolet.com/
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
Bus Geek

I suggest this book to anyone interested in the subject-
Old 01-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post

HAHAHAHA
I'm laughing my ass off

-Thomas
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuleslight View Post
i built an make shift composting toilet.

i built it. 32 in wide by 21 in length by 21 in high.
i used a tub from walmart think it was 32 qts
an ice fishing auger(sans blades)
a toilet seat
oil funnel
3/8th bolt
2 3/8ths washers

tools i used were:
wood screws
drill
hole saw kit
3/8th thread bit

i built the box as normal but mounted the forward bracing 2x4 under to brace instead of the normal situation. i did this to create a lip.

second stage is placing the auger into the tub. you can mount it to the otherside of the tub after you create threads for a bolt inside the center piece of the auger. place a washer on the outside and inside of the tub. test the spin if the auger, if acceptable place the tub inside the framing. mark out where the auger "handle" will extend outwards. take out the tub from the frame. at this time you can add an external vent from the side attached to the wall or plan a vent via a 3 inch flex tube. now encase the three sides and hinge the top portion of the structure. the key to a composting toilet is keeping your pee out. now cut a hole for the toilet seat. i choose a 19 in long seat it worked best for me. take the funnel from the dollar store and cut off the handle. mount this to the lip in some fashion, i just wedge it in between the lip and the top potion of wood myself. now follow the extend hose to about 6-8 inches down. on a 45 degree angle use the hole saw to make an opening for you funnel exit. you can attach several different types of clear containers to the front. secure it with screws (left and right side of container) and a bungie cord allowing for easy emptying.

lay a layer of coconut core down and starting doing your business. right now the design is solely for men. unless you female companions have good aim. im working on the idea for women to be able to comfortably be able to use the facilities as well. I am also curious if anyone would be interesting in buying them if i made them, well the tub portion lol.

it was about 170 for everything, wood and so forth.
Can you post a link to this? I'd buy one.