Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25
Re: Crossed the Bridge

Hey Jake- thanks for the advice. It's not a waste gated turbo, but I'll get a pic tomorrow anyway.
I guess this whole mess started when I changed the air filter, and it was HEAVY with fine dust. I'd already been reading up on diesel maintenance, and was a bit concerned. That kind of condition can eat turbos (or so I'd read). That, coupled with the fact that I don't know really what to expect from this engine, yet, got me kind of worried. I still think that something may be amiss. After reading what Redbear said, I was thinking, and when I up-shift (providing I'm at the correct rpms), then there should be no lugging of the engine. well... that's what I'm getting if I try to shift quicker than what feels right to me. And the time it takes to get to the correct rpms doesn't feel quite right to me(sluggish). What I need is for an experienced driver of a rig this size to hop in and test drive it, and let me know what they think. Someone that's got no hopes of getting into my wallet.
All in all, when I look over it, it looks exactly as it was told me to be- a well maintained vehicle. It's clean, with no signs of neglect (other than the air filter). Hoses and belts are fresh. No leaks anywhere. It was taken good care of for its 20 years, and it shows. I think any 'problems' are probably in my own mind!
Can anyone tell me what a fair price would be for installing a pyrometer and boost gauge is? I don't think I'm up to it myself, yet.
How long should it take?

bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
Skoolie

Well, progress isn't very impressive, but I took pics nonetheless. 18 out of 22 seats removed. The weather is a good bit nicer right now. I found a whopping $.16 while cleaning the bus.
The mouse may have been the only one, because traps have netted me nothing.
Does anyone know where to get the ready made filters that go over the heaters? I'm missing one, and the other is about to fall apart.
Also, still no callbacks or quotes from either of the two local diesel mechanics. So far, my list of wants is a pyrometer and boost gauge installed, and a valve adjustment. Any one have an idea of how long these would/should take? I'm guessing 3.5 to 4 hours for it all, but what do I know?
Muchas gracias.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #23
Skoolie

You know, Doctor, I agree with you about the color, and I imagine it will stay that way for quite awhile.
Eventually I'll rip out the flooring,and remove the ceiling and wall panels in order to rust check and insulate, but that will be some way away.
It's kind of funny to me, but there were two grey seats out of 22. I plan on keeping 4 seats in the bus for now. Anyway, the two grey ones are of a different make than the blue ones. They are much better constructed, and take 4 bolts through each leg, instead of two, and the rail that attaches at the wall is 3/16" plate that runs the full length of the seat almost, and can attach at any of several points that are drilled through. I'm curious as to who made them , and where I could get some more. I'll take pictures of the differences in construction.
I'll keep up the good work, and you do the same, Dr. I enjoy watching you all. It's almost as much fun as tinkering with my own projects.
Cheers!