Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Neat build. I have had several 47 Dodges trucks over many years. Love the style. It is what I had in mind before I found the 71 international.

Good choice of engine.

Automatic, well for me it would not be my choice, but nothing wrong with it. I am taking the automatic out of my bus, and putting in a 5 speed manual.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
awesome build!!

definitely use the 6BT... you might want to do a refresh on it like rivetboy did on his to make sure its good and ready to roll..

ditch the allison 545 and install a 1000 with lockup and over-drive..

looking forward to watching this come together
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I was under the impression I could just turn it around 180 degrees like I would with the engine and transmission. if it isn't the same what is the difference and could you regear it to work? either way I'm willing to bet it will work better with the Cummins than what I currently have
spiritjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9, Spicer-5
Rated Cap: 44 Big butts/66 Lil ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritjohn View Post
I was under the impression I could just turn it around 180 degrees like I would with the engine and transmission. if it isn't the same what is the difference and could you regear it to work? either way I'm willing to bet it will work better with the Cummins than what I currently have
Well as far as re-gearing that housing, I do not know what is different in the rear engine set up. Don't know if it's just a different ring and pinion, or a whole different housing. I am thinking the brakes would be wrong cause they would be backwards as well.
Respectfully:
One_Eyed_Jack.
one_eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

okay damnit I get what you're saying now. if I just flip my rear end I'm going to go the opposite direction real fast. turning it upside down seems like asking for trouble
I'll ask again, is there any thing I can do to make the rear diff in a rear engine bus work in a front engine setup?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

just saw that reply on my brakes, guessing it would be hard to just rotate all these parts and still have them work, I will try to figure something out but I may be better off with something else entirely. very frustrating
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Yea opposite direction real fast. If you flip it it will not oil properly. You may be able to change the center section to a normal rotation center section. Then you would "roll" the axle forward, and re clock the brakes to be upright again.

Seems a lot of work when rears are plentiful.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Whoops! Yep. At this point you have a couple options. Sell the BlueBird as is, using the money to buy a front-engine version on which you can cannibalize the rear-axle. You can also look for one with a desirable transmission (if you don't already have one).

Otherwise, strip what you can and look for an axle elsewhere. If you're changing the whole axle anyway, look for one off a bus, road tractor, straight truck, or whatever.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what transmission is in that bluebird RE? if the engione and trans are in great shape and desirable.. ie great 6BT and a 643 or MD3060, harvest those.. and sell the bus to a scrapper, as part of the deal ask for an exle .. most axles end up getting crushed with the busses.. a friend of mine recently swapped axles via a scrapper to get better brakes and a more deisrable gearing on his bus.. his deal was darn good since he handed them an axle and got one in return... in your case with both axles still on the bus it makes it a mucb easier tow for them to the scrapyard.. so perhaps they can bring you an axle from a CE or FE when they take this bus away..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Is it too late to exchange the pusher BB for a front engine one? Then you could simply install the old body on the BB chassis.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote