Old 05-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: AllAmerican BluedBird
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Cool Danger&Play

So I felt it was best to start a thread continuing my 1992 Bluebird, All American 8.3L (505 CID) turbo. The skoolie community gave me the green light on this purchased and I jumped right on it. I ended up buying it off eBay for $4500. I flew into Pittsburg and drove it back to chicago. You guys are awesome and I can't wait to share more of my progress with this cool skoolie network here! Peace everyone
Dangerandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Well cool, you made it. I'll bet you're glad that's over.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that rocks!! welcome to the jungle!.. for some of us getting our bus home is an adventure in and of itself
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Welcome! If you need a spot to park and work on your bus PM me. Near 55&80

Back on track.... Pics????
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Moving along...

Hell yes! That was one heck of a ride. 8 hours total, going 70-80mph, with no problem..

1. My first road block encounter was getting the bus insured. It's register as a motorhome but when the insurance companies ran the vin it came back as a bus! So 3 hours wasted there, sitting in the office calling every insurance company and telling me no! Losing daylight time. And I forgot to pack my iPhone charger. Not cool, because it was in the middle of nowhere and nobody owned a iPhone there.

2. So asking if I can move to one of there company computers and phones. I started searching through threads on Skoolie.net. One popped up about progressive commercial so I decided to called them right away. The lady was asking so many questions I wasn't prepared to answer, so I a received a no...I was reading deeper in the thread and change my wording around. When I called again the guy said yes for $738 for the year! Not bad!! (went up about $150 more because a speeding ticket from January 1st!!)

3. OK, it's about 4pm now and I'm ready to hit the road, with the title in my hand...I get on the bus and ask the guy, how do you start this bad boy again? lol...Haven't ever driving anything this big..

4. First stop, was the gas station! I turn her off and walk inside. I said $150 on pump 18. I was telling him the wrong pump! Anyways, the third try later the clerk come's out and shows me since my tank is on the other side that I still need to walk over and put the other pump on the floor before using the other side... Oh, gotcha... It took only about $80 to fill her up. I grabbed a iPhone charger wire, that costed me $23 and a marinara meatball sandwich from subway.

5. Finally hitting the road... It's about 5 PM and I have about 3 to 4 hours of daylight left. Now I'm hauling ass to get back home. When it hits about 9 PM I need to stop and fill up for gas again. It was only about a 1/2 tanks but I wanted this to be my last stop for the night. Everything was going smoothly. It's pitch black now, so I figured I keep up with the semi-trucks. Since the headlights were really dim!!! But at this point the semi-trucks are going anywhere from 75 to 90 mph. I was pretty nervous, following the GPS closely on curves. Slowing down to about 70. I was able to keep up with a FedEx truck most of the way. Thank god... The drive costed me about $100 to get back home.

5. I made it to chicago! I drive right into the lot. Its' running me $200 a month. It's a ad that I found on Craigslist. Plus it's only a 10-15min drive from my house. I get up early the next day and start gutting it out. I think I should just pull everything out actually.... Especially, if I plan on raising the roof. Everybody here I ask so far keeps telling me it's a lot of work. And you won't enjoy the bus anytime soon...But I still want to do it! That's my journey home!

>Don't mind the spelling, it's not my strongest asset<

Old 05-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wow nice lookin bus just as it is... if it were mine id be like wow... already new ceiling... roof A/C... got power.. underside insulation.. id probably just cut in some more windows (seems kinds dark).. get rid of the ugly fluorescent lights and go to town on the interior... then again im only 5'9 so i dont need a really tall roof...

great lookin project!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Nice. Just look at all those power outlets. I'd probably start by checking to see if the walls were insulated before gutting it, but then you do want to do the roof raise. Since they insulated the floor I'd guess the walls and ceiling have been insulated too. Yeah, I wonder why it doesn't have windows.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, I'm happy with this purchase. I feel you that, I'm only 5'6. I really don't need head room but space in the long run... I was thinking how about just raising the back half or maybe cutting a short bus and putting it on top...But yes it is kind of dark inside. More private then anything...
The walls are insulated though. What to do next.......

Old 05-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Wow, I am almost jealous! You made a good buy!!! Glad your trip went well. First thing I would do if I were you.......change the fluids in it!

Enjoy your new adventure, and keep pictures coming when you get to working on it!

-Doc

Hey Tango, he already has your floor in it!!!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Love those little round dots. But mine are RED!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, family, off grid, raise