Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: AllAmerican BluedBird
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Cool Danger&Play

So I felt it was best to start a thread continuing my 1992 Bluebird, All American 8.3L (505 CID) turbo. The skoolie community gave me the green light on this purchased and I jumped right on it. I ended up buying it off eBay for $4500. I flew into Pittsburg and drove it back to chicago. You guys are awesome and I can't wait to share more of my progress with this cool skoolie network here! Peace everyone

Dangerandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well cool, you made it. I'll bet you're glad that's over.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that rocks!! welcome to the jungle!.. for some of us getting our bus home is an adventure in and of itself
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Welcome! If you need a spot to park and work on your bus PM me. Near 55&80

Back on track.... Pics????
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Moving along...

Hell yes! That was one heck of a ride. 8 hours total, going 70-80mph, with no problem..

1. My first road block encounter was getting the bus insured. It's register as a motorhome but when the insurance companies ran the vin it came back as a bus! So 3 hours wasted there, sitting in the office calling every insurance company and telling me no! Losing daylight time. And I forgot to pack my iPhone charger. Not cool, because it was in the middle of nowhere and nobody owned a iPhone there.

2. So asking if I can move to one of there company computers and phones. I started searching through threads on Skoolie.net. One popped up about progressive commercial so I decided to called them right away. The lady was asking so many questions I wasn't prepared to answer, so I a received a no...I was reading deeper in the thread and change my wording around. When I called again the guy said yes for $738 for the year! Not bad!! (went up about $150 more because a speeding ticket from January 1st!!)

3. OK, it's about 4pm now and I'm ready to hit the road, with the title in my hand...I get on the bus and ask the guy, how do you start this bad boy again? lol...Haven't ever driving anything this big..

4. First stop, was the gas station! I turn her off and walk inside. I said $150 on pump 18. I was telling him the wrong pump! Anyways, the third try later the clerk come's out and shows me since my tank is on the other side that I still need to walk over and put the other pump on the floor before using the other side... Oh, gotcha... It took only about $80 to fill her up. I grabbed a iPhone charger wire, that costed me $23 and a marinara meatball sandwich from subway.

5. Finally hitting the road... It's about 5 PM and I have about 3 to 4 hours of daylight left. Now I'm hauling ass to get back home. When it hits about 9 PM I need to stop and fill up for gas again. It was only about a 1/2 tanks but I wanted this to be my last stop for the night. Everything was going smoothly. It's pitch black now, so I figured I keep up with the semi-trucks. Since the headlights were really dim!!! But at this point the semi-trucks are going anywhere from 75 to 90 mph. I was pretty nervous, following the GPS closely on curves. Slowing down to about 70. I was able to keep up with a FedEx truck most of the way. Thank god... The drive costed me about $100 to get back home.

5. I made it to chicago! I drive right into the lot. Its' running me $200 a month. It's a ad that I found on Craigslist. Plus it's only a 10-15min drive from my house. I get up early the next day and start gutting it out. I think I should just pull everything out actually.... Especially, if I plan on raising the roof. Everybody here I ask so far keeps telling me it's a lot of work. And you won't enjoy the bus anytime soon...But I still want to do it! That's my journey home!

>Don't mind the spelling, it's not my strongest asset<

Old 05-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wow nice lookin bus just as it is... if it were mine id be like wow... already new ceiling... roof A/C... got power.. underside insulation.. id probably just cut in some more windows (seems kinds dark).. get rid of the ugly fluorescent lights and go to town on the interior... then again im only 5'9 so i dont need a really tall roof...

great lookin project!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice. Just look at all those power outlets. I'd probably start by checking to see if the walls were insulated before gutting it, but then you do want to do the roof raise. Since they insulated the floor I'd guess the walls and ceiling have been insulated too. Yeah, I wonder why it doesn't have windows.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, I'm happy with this purchase. I feel you that, I'm only 5'6. I really don't need head room but space in the long run... I was thinking how about just raising the back half or maybe cutting a short bus and putting it on top...But yes it is kind of dark inside. More private then anything...
The walls are insulated though. What to do next.......

Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Wow, I am almost jealous! You made a good buy!!! Glad your trip went well. First thing I would do if I were you.......change the fluids in it!

Enjoy your new adventure, and keep pictures coming when you get to working on it!

-Doc

Hey Tango, he already has your floor in it!!!!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Love those little round dots. But mine are RED!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Update

I did a full gut of the interior.
Painted the floor with white rustoleum.
I need to go back and saw some nails off from the floor.

Next stop will be the diesel Mechanic to get this baby looked at.

After, I will cut a piece of the rib off. Then take it to the welder to make custom channels (ribs) to go on top of the existing ribs.

I'm trying to figure out where to cut it at, since my windows are different from most commonly bus setups.

I also want to raise the roof as high as possible.
What do you think is the highest I can go with solar panels on top?
I want to keep the roof all one piece.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I would try to keep your finished height with panels on top to around 12'6" if you plan on doing alot of traveling. 13'6" is the legal limit on the interstates here in the US, but there are alot of lower underpasses around on secondary roads. 12'6" seems to be a pretty good compromise between interstate and secondary road heights...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
I would try to keep your finished height with panels on top to around 12'6" if you plan on doing alot of traveling. 13'6" is the legal limit on the interstates here in the US, but there are alot of lower underpasses around on secondary roads. 12'6" seems to be a pretty good compromise between interstate and secondary road heights...

I was thinking the same thing! Having a hard time finding a welding company to make the channels hats/ribs. Still searching though....
Old 06-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Exclamation Bus won't start

So last week I took the bus to the mechanic.

Changed all the fluids out.
Fixed the alignment.
Fixed the front wall bearings.
He also said theirs 3 holes rotted through the exhaust. Cost about $1500-2000
And the fronts tires are going to be needed to be changed out soon.
All my lights are fine, etc.
Drove it across the lot no problems.
Came back to days later to start it, but nothing lights turn.
The Mechanic said it could be a loose wire to the starter I think those were
His words. Or the starter itself. Or maybe it just needs a good tap!

I'll try Tomrrow but the batteries are fine to.
Thought my kids left the lights on or hit something.
Hopefully I get different results!

Peace
Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Channels hats/ribs Input

So the welding company and I had a miscommunication when it came to making the channels hats/ribs.

They made it so it covers the whole rib, not overlapping!

____So I was wondering if it was possible to use the ribs still how they are, to raise the roof.

____Or should I just ask them to remake them over correctly.

I hope not since I spent $800 on the making these ribs. He said he would have to start from scratch to make it the way I want it and charge me again...

Anyways any suggestions would really help guys and gals.

Peace
Talk soon,

-Gio
Old 07-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Did you specify that size channel?
Did you take em a piece of the channel for reference?

The shop I worked in would have certainly eaten any mistakes like that if it were our fault.
I'm having hat channel made this summer. I'm cutting out a piece of a rib to take them to make me a test piece. If that test piece is to my satisfaction, they'll proceed to cut and bend the rest of them. For anyone following along I'd highly recommend going this route to make sure its right.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Agreed with EastCoastCB...^^^

If a supplier fails to provide the materials you requested or fails to meet your specs, it is his job to make it right. If he is unwilling to stand behind his work, I would go elsewhere. $800 is probably not worth small-claims court. However, I wouldn't give this guy any more of my money. I'd also report him to the BBB.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Did you specify that size channel?
Did you take em a piece of the channel for reference?

The shop I worked in would have certainly eaten any mistakes like that if it were our fault.
I'm having hat channel made this summer. I'm cutting out a piece of a rib to take them to make me a test piece. If that test piece is to my satisfaction, they'll proceed to cut and bend the rest of them. For anyone following along I'd highly recommend going this route to make sure its right.
Yes, I did cut a piece of the rib and I left it behind with the company.
I guess they didn't use it or misunderstood what I wanted! That did cross my mind to, too only do one test piece but failed to follow through.
It's sort of my fought to because he said 3 inches wide and I said yes. But I did explain what I was going for....
It's just a waste of time and money as of right now. I will ask tomorrow to see if he can give me half off or something and make it right! So the 20 pieces are useless I'm guessing?!

Thanks for the feedback as always!

-Gio
Old 07-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerandplay View Post
Yes, I did cut a piece of the rib and I left it behind with the company.
I guess they didn't use it or misunderstood what I wanted! That did cross my mind to, too only do one test piece but failed to follow through.
It's sort of my fought to because he said 3 inches wide and I said yes. But I did explain what I was going for....
It's just a waste of time and money as of right now. I will ask tomorrow to see if he can give me half off or something and make it right! So the 20 pieces are useless I'm guessing?!

Thanks for the feedback as always!

-Gio
He was trying to go as cheap and fast as his shop could?
It takes a lot more time to bend the metal to match a rib.
If he charged you 8 for that then you don't want him to do what you need cause he will want at least double even if/after you can make him say uncle.
The shop if organized spent 3-hours to make those total but it will take 6-7 to make what you are looking for.
That's two-men one cutting and one bending or both cutting and bending.
Because of a misunderstanding between both offer to pay shop wages for the correction and make sure you ask what the wages are if he says anything over 20 for one and 18 for the help he is ripping you off
For that kind of money you could buy your own sheet of metal a metal break and a jigsaw to do it yourself.
One full sheet will give you plenty of wiggle room to practice and is less than 150$
HF metal break that will be hurt but do it 150$
Decent jigsaw 40$
Blades for saw 15$
Rubber palm gloves 10$ for 10-15 pair
Good measuring stick not a tape for solid measurements. An old school stick ruler is awesome or a metal rule off of a sliding square/ruler is awesome.
Just my opinion.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I've done extremely crucial measurements with a cheapo Lufkin tape.
But that's 12 years of constantly using it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, family, off grid, raise