Re: Department of Corrections Bus
So it's been slow going with our bus lately. Due to work and other obligations I haven't been able to spend near as much time working on it as I had hoped. I found that it had a couple of pretty bad leaks after some of the rain storms that we have had this fall. It seems to have been leaking at where the roof meets the front of the bus as well as where it meets the side above the door. I cleaned out as much of the old caulk/filler as possible and used Butyl-flex gutter and flashing sealant to seal those areas and where the roof meets the back of the bus. It seems to have sealed it up pretty well! I was also able to pull the rest of the roof trim down (which I think may have been used to attach the air conditioning duct work) and I pulled up all of the old floor. It definitely has some rust, as you can see, but it all appears to by just surface rust.
I think I swept about 20 pounds of dirt and dust out the old girl! I was also able to completely flush the coolant system, replaced the thermostats, topped it off with Fleet Charge antifreeze and installed a new coolant filter before the winter temps arrived. During that process I found that the pump that pushes the coolant into the bus was leaking, as well as the front heater core. As a quick fix I just bypassed that entire part of the system and just looped it back into the engine until I get the chance to fix it.
We are currently getting ready to install the floor, but we now have another slight setback. It looks like I have some leaks in the walls (probably from the windows) and into the floor. They look to be minor, but it will still have to be addressed. I am afraid that we will have to pull the walls apart to track them all down. Hopefully it won't be too bad to resolve.