Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #361
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
DD, While your new hitch looks nice and secure and will work just fine for your genny platform, the pass through hitch is just not strong enough to handle a trailer (especially a vehicle 4 down). You no doubt could tow a car with the basic hitch less the platform but not with it. My two cents worth. Jack
Thanks for your comment! I was wondering about that... I also had an uneasy feeling about towing something heavy. Now that I really think through the tongue weight being put on that long unsupported bar, not to mention sideways stress during turns, etc., I have to agree with your comment. I suppose it will still be useful if I want to add on another item like a bike carrier or something like that. By that time my bus length will be extended by like 6ft!

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #362

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Receiver hitch & cargo basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan

Good job on the hitch. One thing that makes me angry when I look at this pic is the hanger on your exhaust pipe. It is corroding just like on mine. I don't know if its a reaction between the metals or something else. I've got leaks in over a half dozen spots. It takes all of 2 minutes to smell exhaust in the bus when I start her up. How hard could it be for the manufacturer to do it right from the beginning. My bus also passed the Tennessee state school bus inspection in Dec., 2011 with holes in the exhaust and worn kingpins. Go figure. Maybe the kids in Tennessee aren't as important as the kids in California because I know for sure that this bus would not have passed inspection.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #363
Bus Crazy

Re: Receiver hitch & cargo basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
... One thing that makes me angry when I look at this pic is the hanger on your exhaust pipe. It is corroding just like on mine. I don't know if its a reaction between the metals or something else...
I hear ya CC! All my exhaust hangars look like that, and if I don't do something about it soon the hangers will start to break due to the rust. Never mind the holes in the exhaust, it will be laying on the side of the highway before long anyway! I actually had an exhaust pipe break free when I was driving a bus many years ago - the thing broke free but was still connected on one end so it swung out sideways and reached across the two-lane highway I was on. Good thing there was no oncoming traffic!

I'm probably going to be re-routing my exhaust to make more room for holding tanks and whatnot, so at that point I'll re-do the brackets.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #364

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I just scored a muffler from a Peterbilt and some adapters. My muffler has holes too. The new route will come out in between my fuel tank and the rear tires. I wouldn't wait for yours either. Remember, RUST NEVER SLEEPS.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #365
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

man that hitch looks great, i wish i had mine done, but its to cold , and snowing, so Im at a stand still for winter, but I will start on the scooter rack after xmas.

looks good Dan
gbstewart
Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #366
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
You are correct about deleting your photobucket account if you delete the account your pics will most likely be gone. Not sure why you would want to delete it in the future though.
I'm just thinking that any change that occurs with photobucket will have a ripple effect here, like for instance if I decide to reorganize the photos in to sub-folders or something like that it might break the links. To my way of thinking I'd just prefer that the pics were permanently here in this thread. I've seen other threads where pics have disappeared and I'm sure it's for that reason. Anyone know why our "attachment limit" or whatever it's called has been exceeded? Is there no way to fix this issue? I think some people, especially newer forum members are discouraged from posting pics because of the extra hassle. Moderators? Steve? Any ideas?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #367
Bus Crazy

Hitch installation

Thanks for the positive comments on the hitch BTW, I'll tell ya, it was NOT a pleasant job. Laying under the bus with rust and dirt falling in my face and glowing red hot metal chips sprinkling my arms and hands, cutting oil splattering all over me. Ugh. Glad it's over. Not looking forward to hanging my holding tanks for the same reason. I really do need to get that done though. Plumbing is the last big job to get the bus to a state of relative "completion". The WVO system is a whole other matter, but I'm putting that into a different "mental category". Gotta have some way to stay sane and not burn out on the project!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #368
Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
You are correct about deleting your photobucket account if you delete the account your pics will most likely be gone. Not sure why you would want to delete it in the future though.
I'm just thinking that any change that occurs with photobucket will have a ripple effect here, like for instance if I decide to reorganize the photos in to sub-folders or something like that it might break the links. To my way of thinking I'd just prefer that the pics were permanently here in this thread. I've seen other threads where pics have disappeared and I'm sure it's for that reason. Anyone know why our "attachment limit" or whatever it's called has been exceeded? Is there no way to fix this issue? I think some people, especially newer forum members are discouraged from posting pics because of the extra hassle. Moderators? Steve? Any ideas?
I am only assuming here but to host all the images here would probably exceed the storage space of the server that Steve is using. Text takes up very little space whereas images especially if not re-sized can take up quite a bit of storage space. Because we are an "image happy" community meaning we really like to upload and view pictures both the storage space and the bandwidth usage would probably too high. I have never used photobucket or any other image hosting websites as I have my own hosting servers that I use but one suggestion might be to create a "skoolie.net" category on your account and then place all the photos you link to on this forum in that category and then as long as you don't adjust that category all will be happy. I know it may end up duplicating photos if you wish to categorize them differently but nothing else is coming to mind at the moment.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #369
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Camp Runamok

Quote:
I think its kind of quaint...
I agree, so nice. Oop.. pic didn't follow but the one through the arbor is sweet.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #370
Bus Crazy

Guest house on wheels

I've got family visiting for the holidays and so my wife and I have given up our bedroom to the guests and taken up residence in the bus for the next couple weeks. We are not at all put out by this circumstance, in fact, it's fantastic! We love it. We've got built in babysitters for the kids and we're having a little honeymoon/vacation out in the bus. Yes, we're just parked in the driveway, but its a great escape! If the bus is a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'!

Had a nice breakfast this morning...

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #371
Bus Nut

Very cool.. and I sort of liked the Midieval-ness of your curtains etc. Nice to have a place to 'get away'. My mom and step-pops arent' really keen on the bus idea yet. They didn't want to sell me his bus, although this one suits me better style wise. They are maybe coming to visit in Jan. My bus is no where near ready, but then again, neither are they.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #372
Skoolie

I love the short sleeve shirt in Dec. Boy do I wish I was in TX or FL or anywhere warmer than WI. We are sitting at a balmy 13 degrees right now
Old 12-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #373
Bus Nut

Was 55 degrees yesterday and 52 today.. I had to take my sweatshirt off. AZ.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #374
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Dan

It is getting cold here where I am. As I was viewing your latest pics, it reminded me of how insightful it was of me to put thick curtains to separate sections of my bus.

I now block off the rear section of my bus on cold days. There is the kitchen and bathroom section there. I do not use the bathroom section because I have access to my friend's house. It is much warmer now that I can block off the back.

Gonna go play my accordion with a bluegrass band this coming Friday for a benefit. Bluegrass accordion? I can do it!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #375
Bus Crazy

Hey Rudy! I was wondering what became of you. Did you end up moving to a new location?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #376
Bus Crazy

Dan

I was wanting to go back to Tn.,but do not have the funds. Hopefully by the Spring I can make it so.

Gonna be 12 degrees tomorrow night. Maybe even some snow. Lucky I got some propane for heat. I received some home made carrot cake and some sugar cookies for Christmas.

As I said earlier, I am glad to have that thick curtain to close off the back of the bus. It is 25% of the area. It makes a big difference. I wish I had thought about that idea the past winters.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #377
Bus Crazy

Yes, we use the bedroom curtains in the same way. The bedroom has a door in back and curtains in front, so we can close it down to a size that is easily heated with one small electric heater even on the coldest nights (which down here in Central TX generally means 30 degrees). In the morning we just move the heater to the front room. We lose a lot of heat through the windshield though. Part of my plan is to put more curtains behind the driver's seat to better insulate the living/dining/kitchen area.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #378
Skoolie

When we were on our trip we had temperatures as low as 20 degrees at night in Chicago and then in Macomb IL on the way back. We had some white blankets that we purchased a few years before that we cut to fit for the windshield and the rest of the windows. We didn't get a chance to put in any permanent curtains yet and these blankets stuck to the hook side of velcro. So we put strips of velcro above the windows and let the blankets hang down. For the windshield we did the same but secured the bottom of the blankets with magnets to the dash panel. It was remarkable how much heat that held in. Even at 20 degrees outside we were very comfortable in the whole bus and we didn't block of any of the areas in the bus.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #379
Bus Crazy

Gee, I am glad I posted about the curtains. Hey Travelinwithus, You made me remember about the windshield cover that I have. Thanks. I will put it up tonight. It is held on with snaps.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #380
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yes, we use the bedroom curtains in the same way. The bedroom has a door in back and curtains in front, so we can close it down to a size that is easily heated with one small electric heater even on the coldest nights (which down here in Central TX generally means 30 degrees). In the morning we just move the heater to the front room. We lose a lot of heat through the windshield though. Part of my plan is to put more curtains behind the driver's seat to better insulate the living/dining/kitchen area.
I was planning on putting a heavy curtain wall in behind the driver's seat as well. While stationary that will be my atrium room when warmer.