Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #421
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Rudy, I've been actively using WVO as fuel in my Mercedes for several years. I have my processing operation all worked out and operational and a steady supply of free oil. I have so much oil that I've been selling off the extra I can't use or store. My current bounty may change at any time, but for now it's all gravy, man.

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #422
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Rudy, I've been actively using WVO as fuel in my Mercedes for several years. I have my processing operation all worked out and operational and a steady supply of free oil. I have so much oil that I've been selling off the extra I can't use or store. My current bounty may change at any time, but for now it's all gravy, man.
That is good news. I figured that you might have the system down.

So, does your Mercedes exhaust smell like french fries?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #423
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
So, does your Mercedes exhaust smell like french fries?
It smells like burnt vegetable oil. My oil comes from a Chinese restaurant, but I don't smell the Chinese food. I will say it's a much more pleasant smell than petroleum diesel exhaust.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #424
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part-time
The only downside I can see to running WVO or old tranny fluid like I've heard of others doing is getting a heafty fine from the DOT for not paying road tax
I heard that on the cummins diesel forum if memory serves me right...
That varies from state to state. Last time I investigated, Texas does not tax WVO.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #425
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I know my bus isn't as big (14k gross shortie) but I did a long road trip with 14 cubies in the back (apx 500 lbs) along with the all the other race support stuff i have in the back. With the stock (in the back) fuel tank full (55 gallons), you could definitly feel the "tail wagging the dog." While towing a 2000 lb trailer, you can't even feel it back there. YMMV-but that seems like alot of movable liquid ballast.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #426
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
I know my bus isn't as big (14k gross shortie) but I did a long road trip with 14 cubies in the back (apx 500 lbs) along with the all the other race support stuff i have in the back. With the stock (in the back) fuel tank full (55 gallons), you could definitly feel the "tail wagging the dog." While towing a 2000 lb trailer, you can't even feel it back there. YMMV-but that seems like alot of movable liquid ballast.
sdwarf36, you just gave me an idea. If I were to tow a trailer for extra WVO storage capacity, I could really extend my WVO-powered driving range. Of course, I'd have to tow a trailer, which I'd rather avoid, but never the less, even a small trailer could haul probably 300 gallons of WVO in addition to my 120 gallon WVO supply tank, and potentially 60 more gallons of extra storage in plastic barrels. That would fuel a round trip from my house to any point in the United States! How awesome would that be?!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 05-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #427
Bus Crazy

Annual retreat

Each year on my birthday, I like to take a couple days to do the one thing I can't do in my day to day life: Be by myself for more than a couple hours. This year I decided to go out to Buescher State Park in Smithville Texas, which is about 50 miles from my house. It's a lovely place with a nice lake, hiking trails, and cool old stone buildings built by the Civilian Conservation Corps after the depression in the 1930's. Nearby Bastrop State Park has more of the same type of environment and buildings, but was ravaged by a wildfire a couple years ago. Here, I'm on my way out there:

Here is a view of the fire damage in Bastrop. I just drove through since I hadn't seen the place since the fire. It was really sad. They saved the buildings, and the underbrush is starting to fill in, but it is still a forest of dead, blackened pine trees:

I continued on to smithville and arrive at my camp site:

A cold front came through that night, and it got down into the low 50's or maybe upper 40's in the early morning hours. With my two small space heaters set to low, the bus was 80 degrees at the ceiling level, but more chilly down around the floor. Wished I had some wool socks or fluffy slippers or something. Decided that from now on, a pair of thick wool socks will permanently live in the bus. Here I have all my curtains and shades closed, including the shower curtain I have in the front, hanging from magnetic hooks. I plan to buy a different shower curtain that matches the colors of my bus interior at some point, but for now, this one serves the purpose:

This is what greeted me in the morning:

And there was an unoccupied cabin next to me with a porch overlooking the lake, so I had a great place to hang out and enjoy my morning coffee:

Part of my reason for the trip was to see how well the bus would support me if I were to just head out without a lot of preparation, and subsist mainly on what is permanently in the bus. Sort of simulating a "bug-out situation". Basically, I was very comfortable. If I had my whole family though, I would wish I had more blankets/sleeping bags, more water, and a better first aid kit.

But my main purpose for the trip was just to have a weekend to myself, in a beautiful natural area, with all the comforts of home; and I had a great time.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #428
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Re: Annual retreat

Quote:
Each year on my birthday, I like to take a couple days to do the one thing I can't do in my day to day life: Be by myself for more that a couple hours.

Part of my reason for the trip was to see how well the bus would support me if I were to just head out without a lot of preparation, and subsist mainly on what is permanently in the bus. Sort of simulating a "bug-out situation". Basically, I was very comfortable. If I had my whole family though, I would wish I had more blankets/sleeping bags, more water, and a better first aid kit.

But my main purpose for the trip was just to have a weekend to myself, in a beautiful natural area, with all the comforts of home; and I had a great time.
Other than full-timing in a motorhome, I can't think of a better reason to own one than to be able to just leave home anytime and spend a few days or weeks away. Looks like a good mini-vacation.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #429
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamy777
Hey Dan - any chance you might share that WVO process that you've already got all worked out? ;)
Honestly, to explain that would take time and a lot of pictures, etc., and I'd just be reinventing a wheel that already exists online. I recommend you go to websites where people are specifically discussing that topic. You will get better information there than I would end up producing here. There are several sites, just do a google search and I'm sure you will find them.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #430
Bus Crazy

Engine Hutch and Glove box

Did I ever show y'all a decent pic of the engine hutch I built? Here it is:

I put some half inch rigid insulation on the inside to attempt to deflect the heat and sound of the engine. Since I originally installed it, I decided to cut it down in size so that it didn't interfere with my knee and the gas pedal, which had become somewhat annoying. I still feel like I should put a bit of foam padding on the corner because I do occasionally bump it with a knee or shin on my way in or out of the driver's seat.

I installed a little cup/phone/knick-knack holder for the driver, and you can see the little shelves for other random things. I eventually plan to convert my existing door into a single hinge door and thus eliminate the opener bar. This will create opportunities to put other things in that area. I will eventually add a gauge cluster somewhere, and perhaps a gps or something like that. Or maybe a pivoting holder for an ipad/tablet thingy or something like that. Ooooh, that would be slick. Maybe for my next birthday.

But more immediately, I want to cover up the fuse panel and enclose the glove box. I think that will be a quickie project: just build a frame out of 2x2 pine, add a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" pine as a door, a couple hinges and some sort of latch, stain and poly... Done. I love projects like that. Low stress. Fun.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 06-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #431
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

That looks great DD
Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #432
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

Looks good, always nice to have a place for things, also I bet it cuts down on some engine noise as well as heat,
nice wood working.
gbstewart
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #433
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

The engine cabinet looks great. My doghouse is so big that all I can do is put a cushion on top of it for the dogs when I am parked.When the bus is in transit, I remove the cushion, and do not let the dogs sit up there. I do, however bungee my plant up there.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #434
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Corbeil
Engine: T444E

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
sdwarf36, you just gave me an idea. If I were to tow a trailer for extra WVO storage capacity, I could really extend my WVO-powered driving range. Of course, I'd have to tow a trailer, which I'd rather avoid, but never the less, even a small trailer could haul probably 300 gallons of WVO in addition to my 120 gallon WVO supply tank, and potentially 60 more gallons of extra storage in plastic barrels. That would fuel a round trip from my house to any point in the United States! How awesome would that be?!
Sorry for the late comment...

When you go over a certain capacity of fuel tank, you need to stop at the border of each state/province and report how many kms you drove, and how many liters of fuel you purchased there. They do the math and you pay the difference in taxes. There is a sticker you can buy for commercial vehicles that allows you to drive on by, and pay monthly, but the real issue is that you are using a fuel that has no road tax in it so the extra tanks will only get you pulled over if they are spotted.

I'm not sure on the laws on veggie oil in the US, but I think that because there is no tax in the fuel you would leagaly have to keep a log and submit the road tax portion to keep it all on the up and up. I think, and this is just my opinion, that if you were to use waste motor oil, then you might have a better case if you got pulled over as motor oil is also taxed.

The trailer might be considered a slip tank in some places, but if your driving around America I'm sure you'll run into some provinces or states that will fine you for using their roads and not paying the road taxes included in the fuel prices when they spot it. In some places you may also need a specific type of tank to haul fuel as well.

Governments can cause all kinds of problems to ruin you day! It seems that they think of everything...
TourTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #435
Bus Crazy

Bus camping at Krause Springs

This past weekend we headed out to the Texas Hill Country to a family owned campground that features beautiful scenery, huge cypress trees, gorgeous grounds and buildings, and of course, natural springs (here is a link to their website: http://www.krausesprings.net/about.html - scroll down that page and you will see a slideshow showing the grounds). That was some seriously cold water, but very refreshing on a hot day. Nice spring-fed pool near the camping area, and then we descended into a small canyon of sorts where there was a great swimming hole with waterfall, water cave, cliff jumping, rope swing... We had fun hanging out with friends, enjoying good food, drink and company, and of course there were the obligatory bus tours for the curious neighboring campers.

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #436
Bus Geek

SWEET I like the shady camp sites!!!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #437
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Engine: 3126

Man, I need to hurry and piece my bus back together so I can go camping.

At my speed I will be done just as winter sets in, but wait I have a heater, I can still go camping

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #438
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

looks like a really good time Dan.
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #439
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DT360

have to admit, we're both a bit jealous, can't wait to get out and enjoy our new home on the road. and the cabinet looks great.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #440
Bus Crazy

Day to day bus life

At this point my bus has become a sort of mobile outbuilding on my property. I'm gratified to know that I am getting my "money's worth" out of this project even when I'm not out on the road. My wife teaches childbirth classes out of our house 2-3 nights a week, and so I really like having a place to escape to on those nights. My 8 year old daughter and I go out there on these nights and I help her with homework, and then we play games (lately backgammon is our favorite) or just hang out doing whatever. I've also had to give up my little bit of office space in the house to other family members, so I've got a docking station set up in the bus for my laptop, and I often go out there to just get on the computer. I have a wireless receiver/booster antenna which I think helps, but I rarely have a full strength signal. But it's good enough for most purposes. I only have trouble when trying to use Skype. The bus also makes a great man-cave! Sometimes I go out there to play guitar, or hang out and party with friends, or just get some time to myself. I just sold my pickup truck, so now I've got some cash to spend on getting a gravel driveway put in on the other side of house, which will put me closer to my wireless router, electricity, water, and at the same time free up my primary driveway which the bus has been blocking these past few years. Also, the bus will be on level ground (it is currently on an angle despite blocking as high as I dare) and it will be tucked away in a wooded area so it is less visible from the road. I'm pretty stoked about the prospect of making this happen!
viewtopic.php?t=4959