Old 10-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Stock heaters

Last night I tore apart more of the interior stuff. Pulled out those bars that you hold onto when standing, and starting working on seat bolts and pulling up all the tin that hides the heater hoses and blowers. It looks like I have 4 separate heat zones, each with it's own blower, working off 3 heat radiators. One blower for each side of the windshield and the front area, another that ducts to about halfway down the bus, and another that goes all the way to the back. Once I get the seats out of the way I'll take pics and add them to this post.

I think I'll keep all of them: the ones that are used for defrosting the windshield for obvious reasons, and the mid-cabin heater really doesn't negatively impact my floorplan since I will have a dining booth there. Someone had an idea in another post to use a heater to dissipate engine heat when it starts running hot, and I actually did that on my way home from picking up the bus. I will likely set my rear heater up to blow into my garage area so I can use it to keep my spare WVO barrels warm, or alternately open the rear window to let the hot air escape outside if I just need help with cooling off the engine.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

those convex blind spot mirror are worth there weight in gold even the ones in front if i were you i would keep them
sounds like your coming right along

post sum pics im a visual person
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Registered and legal!

This morning I got the bus inspected and did the title transfer, including re-titling as a motorhome with no problems whatsoever! I feel lucky considering the ordeals other people on this site had to go through. The place that does the inspections is also my mechanic so they know me and didn't hesitate to list it as "motorhome" on their inspection documentation. Then I went to my local branch of the tax office where there is never a line at all. Paid my tax, got my plates and motorhome designated title, and was out of there in 15 minutes. Yay!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
This morning I got the bus inspected...
What all goes into an inspection? When I get my bus to the shop, it will have to have an inspection too, and I was wondering what kind of stuff they look for so I can be ready. Any advice is appreciated!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Quote:
What all goes into an inspection? When I get my bus to the shop, it will have to have an inspection too, and I was wondering what kind of stuff they look for so I can be ready. Any advice is appreciated!
I think that probably varies from state to state. My inspector was not evaluating whether or not it met any kind of criteria to be considered a "motorhome", he was just checking all the same things he would as if it were a car inspection, like lights, horn, wipers, brakes, etc. So I didn't have to worry about having a bed, sink, toilet, non-yellow paint job, or whatever other requirements other states may have. I think Texas has pretty relaxed requirements for our situation.

When he finished checking things, and was at the computer completing the documentation, I asked him to list it as a "motorhome" when that screen came up, and he was like: "sure, you can call it whatever you want". But then again, the guys at this garage know me so that may have been why it was so easy. And when I got to my local branch of the title/tax office, and asked them to title it as a "motorhome", the guy was like: "okay, here ya go". No questions asked. They just wanted my money.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Progress on interior tear-out!

I made good progress on tearing out the interior yesterday. Removed the seats and most of the wheelchair hold-down plates. For those bolts accessible from underneath I prefer having one person inside with impact wrench, and one person underneath with wrench/socket/vice grips. It went really fast using that method. I'll have to use the angle grinder for the bolts that were inaccessible, but I really dislike that method. It takes longer, and then there's all the dust/noise/sparks/projectiles, etc. The only advantage I see is you don't need an assistant.

Here I am relaxing after an afternoon of bus seat removal.

I still have two more wheelchair plates to remove (16 bolts each!) with the grinder, and also the wheelchair lift. I won't take that out of the bus, but just move it around as I'm dealing with the flooring. Same thing with the front electrical console. Hopefully I can just pull the plywood out from under it somehow, treat the rust, then slide the new plywood under it... Yeah, right... like it will be that easy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dan chillaxing in bus2.JPG (418.0 KB, 1526 views)
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Sticker removal hell

Man, those big "school bus" stickers on the front and rear of the bus were a nightmare to remove! I used a razor knife, because anything less sharp wouldn't do any good. The stickers on the sides weren't as bad because they were just individual letters. Using acetone and steel wool seems to work okay to get the remaining sticky residue off, but I'm open to hearing other suggestions...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear sticker removed2.JPG (519.9 KB, 1506 views)
File Type: jpg driver side sticker removed2.JPG (387.4 KB, 1505 views)
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy
Rated Cap: 84

Dan: if you take a heat gun to any and all stickers it softens the glue and they will come off real easy with a blade or razor of some sort. Sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick
Dan: if you take a heat gun to any and all stickers it softens the glue and they will come off real easy with a blade or razor of some sort. Sportyrick
I can't believe I forgot to use the heat gun! I actually have one! Oh well, maybe it will help to get the remaining glue off.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Quote:

One good thing about Kansas is.......WHATS an inspection??? Evedintly here in KS we are on the honor system and they will take your word for it. Unless you are titling something from another state. Then they check the VIN numbers against the title. You go stand in line and pay. And your on your way!

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote