Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #343
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re-thinking the "composting toilet"...

I forgot to mention in my post about the beach trip that the kitty-litter-in-a-bucket toilet, which works well for when I'm hanging out in my driveway, does not work as well on a camping trip with the family. The main problem is the kids. They somehow cannot get it through their heads that they have to completely cover their business with kitty litter otherwise it stinks. I suppose if I had more time to "train" them, they would get it, but it's kinda like their also supposed to clean their room and not leave their toys all over the house, and those of you with kids know how that goes.

I do like having the toilet removable though, and not always being dependent on dump stations. So I might get one of those "cassette" style toilets that is basically a porta-potty with a self-contained 5 gallon blackwater tank (like this: http://tinyurl.com/7ocs7cc). I can then decide which toilet to use depending on circumstances.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #344
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

looks like your crew had a blast, just wondering why u dont but a holding tank and a flush toilet? the washroom was the one thing that I wanted be as normal as one in a house. I found putting it in not that hard or $$ and it keeps the famliy happy, I think with out it we would not be spending as much time as we do in the bus, and when i get up for my 2am pee, it becomes priceless

btw , I really like your roller shades on the side and front windows, Im thinking that i just might be copying that ideal

tks
gbstewart
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #345
Bus Crazy

There are two things that I am really having second thoughts about in terms of my original design: a refrigerator and a toilet. After having spent a few weekends dealing with coolers, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a small fridge with a freezer. I didn't mention earlier that the drain plug on one of our coolers somehow got opened during the beach trip and the water damaged my plywood floor in the rear storage area. The toilet issue though... I dunno man. I guess I figure I can always add that later if I really feel like I need it. For now I want to keep my options open until I spend more time in the bus. If we were full-timing I would certainly have a "real"toilet, but then I would have also bought a 40 foot bus in that case rather than the 30 footer that I have now.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #346
Bus Crazy

cold beer on hot summer day I get that, my wife however well not so much.

have one on me
gbstewart
Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #347
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

No tank no pluming but you do need a 5000 watt generator to run it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103_2557.JPG (1.11 MB, 1081 views)
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #348
Bus Nut

What you really need is an outdoor porty potty mounted on the rear bumper/patio and make em go outside.......
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #349
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89chevy8.2
Hey Diesel dan i was wondering how that roof mount ac unit was working out for you weather or not it was worth the money that they cost?
Sorry about the delayed response - just now noticed the new comments. The roof mount ac is handy in that there was really not a good place in my floor plan for a window unit. I'm actually having some problems with it now - it runs for several hours and then the fan cuts out even though the compressor is still working. If I turn it off for a long while I can eventually turn it back on again. The Carrier company is no longer making these units so I doubt I can get any replacement parts. Anyway, if I end up having to replace the AC I will go with another rooftop unit. I got my current AC cheap "used" even though it was new in the box and never actually used. New ones are pretty costly, but like I said, my floor plan dictates a rooftop unit, so I'm committed to that option for now. The only other option would be to hack some sort of basement unit, but I'm just not ready to think about something like that right now.

In other news, I have actually purchased new house batteries and a small refrigerator which has been awesome! I also got a receiver hitch and receiver basket to hold my generator. I still haven't finished installing them yet though. Additionally, I had an adventure with a brake line blowing out, which, again, I have not yet fixed. I will try to post more on these stories in the near future as I get the work done...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #350
Bus Crazy

what did u get for a hitch? did u get a universal mount or a hitch for a certain modle of truck? I have to put one on my bus and i think a reese hitch for a ford f350-550 cab and chassie will fit just have to drill the bolt holes says it for a 34 in frame which is the size of a blue bird, but not a 100% sure
tks
gbstewart