Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
... I'm actually having some problems with it now - it runs for several hours and then the fan cuts out even though the compressor is still working. If I turn it off for a long while I can eventually turn it back on again...
RV rooftop A/C units are not made to repair. It's generally (not always) cheaper to replace than repair. They are not made to have the coolant (what ever they use now) refilled/replenished/replaced/recharged or whatever you call it either. The problem with the fan cutting out may be the thermostat. But I know nothing about RV A/C units. The good news (?) is that you won't be needing the A/C much longer. You'll be needing the heater!
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #352
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
what did u get for a hitch? did u get a universal mount or a hitch for a certain modle of truck?...
I got a class-III Reese adjustable hitch (universal mount). I would have preferred a class-IV but I guess they don't make those in the adjustable style. Anyway, the Reese hitch was pretty cheap at around $130 including all hardware. Now I just need to drill 6 or 8 large holes (1/2" I think, or maybe 5/8") in my frame in order to mount it. Not looking forward to that job.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #353
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
The good news (?) is that you won't be needing the A/C much longer. You'll be needing the heater!
Lorna, here in Austin we don't really start thinking about cold weather until November!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 08-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #354
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
The good news (?) is that you won't be needing the A/C much longer. You'll be needing the heater!
Lorna, here in Austin we don't really start thinking about cold weather until November!
November isn't that far away! The Roswell area shows nighttime temps dipping down to freezing starting around Thanksgiving (according to Weather Underground's forecast calendar) . Where has the year gone? And why am I spending the winter someplace that gets snow? I think we got this "snowbird" thing backwards. We always seem to spend our winters someplace that it snows and our summers in places that hits 100F (and up) on a regular basis.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #355
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: midbus
Chassis: chevy
Rated Cap: 29

nice work on your bus! your rooftop ac unit, dont be afraid to get it looked at, check around for a small companiesthat handle hvac, they will be more willing to try a little harder for you without charging you 2-300 times what it should and take 3 weeks. i have a rooftop unit i took off from a early 80's 5th wheel camper and it worked great but when i installed it on my home i was fastening the cover on it and one of the screws wasnt lined up correctly and i punctured a refrigerant line losing it all. i took it down and a local guy running his own company gave it a once over and patched and recharged it all for me for only $75. he said there is no problem recharging or working on lines in a rooftop unit. he said that its one of those that got started probably just so people would just buy new ones. anyway just something i thought i should pass on. keep the pics coming
hordechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #356
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordechick
... check around for a small companiesthat handle hvac, they will be more willing to try a little harder for you without charging you 2-300 times what it should and take 3 weeks....
Thanks for the idea hordechick; I will look into that option!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #357
Bus Crazy

Receiver hitch & cargo basket

I finally got around to mounting my receiver hitch. I decided to bolt it to the bottom of the frame so it would be relatively normal tow height and I hopefully won't have to use a drop hitch. But the tradeoff of course is that it is now a low point that extends pretty far out from the rear wheels, especially when I have the basket on there. I think I still have like a foot of clearance though. The basket has a "pass-through" receiver on the back so I can have the basket and tow a vehicle as well. My plan is to carry the generator in the receiver basket until I get around to mounting it underneath.

By the way, I used Photobucket for the first time to post my pics, and I'm thinking that if I ever delete/kill/eliminate this photobucket account, then I suppose the pics will disappear from this thread, right? That's kind of a downside to this approach, but since the board will not allow any more pics to be uploaded I guess that's where we are at...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #358
Skoolie

The hitch looks good. I installed on one my bus also but only have a ball hitch in it right now. We are probably going to put a bike rack in it next year.

You are correct about deleting your photobucket account if you delete the account your pics will most likely be gone. Not sure why you would want to delete it in the future though.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #359
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

DD, While your new hitch looks nice and secure and will work just fine for your genny platform, the pass through hitch is just not strong enough to handle a trailer (especially a vehicle 4 down). You no doubt could tow a car with the basic hitch less the platform but not with it. My two cents worth. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #360
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

DD, Really like the hitch and basket