Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #371
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Very cool.. and I sort of liked the Midieval-ness of your curtains etc. Nice to have a place to 'get away'. My mom and step-pops arent' really keen on the bus idea yet. They didn't want to sell me his bus, although this one suits me better style wise. They are maybe coming to visit in Jan. My bus is no where near ready, but then again, neither are they.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #372
Skoolie

I love the short sleeve shirt in Dec. Boy do I wish I was in TX or FL or anywhere warmer than WI. We are sitting at a balmy 13 degrees right now
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #373
Bus Nut

Was 55 degrees yesterday and 52 today.. I had to take my sweatshirt off. AZ.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #374
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Dan

It is getting cold here where I am. As I was viewing your latest pics, it reminded me of how insightful it was of me to put thick curtains to separate sections of my bus.

I now block off the rear section of my bus on cold days. There is the kitchen and bathroom section there. I do not use the bathroom section because I have access to my friend's house. It is much warmer now that I can block off the back.

Gonna go play my accordion with a bluegrass band this coming Friday for a benefit. Bluegrass accordion? I can do it!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #375
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Hey Rudy! I was wondering what became of you. Did you end up moving to a new location?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #376
Bus Crazy

Dan

I was wanting to go back to Tn.,but do not have the funds. Hopefully by the Spring I can make it so.

Gonna be 12 degrees tomorrow night. Maybe even some snow. Lucky I got some propane for heat. I received some home made carrot cake and some sugar cookies for Christmas.

As I said earlier, I am glad to have that thick curtain to close off the back of the bus. It is 25% of the area. It makes a big difference. I wish I had thought about that idea the past winters.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #377
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Yes, we use the bedroom curtains in the same way. The bedroom has a door in back and curtains in front, so we can close it down to a size that is easily heated with one small electric heater even on the coldest nights (which down here in Central TX generally means 30 degrees). In the morning we just move the heater to the front room. We lose a lot of heat through the windshield though. Part of my plan is to put more curtains behind the driver's seat to better insulate the living/dining/kitchen area.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #378
Skoolie

When we were on our trip we had temperatures as low as 20 degrees at night in Chicago and then in Macomb IL on the way back. We had some white blankets that we purchased a few years before that we cut to fit for the windshield and the rest of the windows. We didn't get a chance to put in any permanent curtains yet and these blankets stuck to the hook side of velcro. So we put strips of velcro above the windows and let the blankets hang down. For the windshield we did the same but secured the bottom of the blankets with magnets to the dash panel. It was remarkable how much heat that held in. Even at 20 degrees outside we were very comfortable in the whole bus and we didn't block of any of the areas in the bus.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #379
Bus Crazy

Gee, I am glad I posted about the curtains. Hey Travelinwithus, You made me remember about the windshield cover that I have. Thanks. I will put it up tonight. It is held on with snaps.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #380
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Yes, we use the bedroom curtains in the same way. The bedroom has a door in back and curtains in front, so we can close it down to a size that is easily heated with one small electric heater even on the coldest nights (which down here in Central TX generally means 30 degrees). In the morning we just move the heater to the front room. We lose a lot of heat through the windshield though. Part of my plan is to put more curtains behind the driver's seat to better insulate the living/dining/kitchen area.
I was planning on putting a heavy curtain wall in behind the driver's seat as well. While stationary that will be my atrium room when warmer.