Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
Gee, I am glad I posted about the curtains. Hey Travelinwithus, You made me remember about the windshield cover that I have. Thanks. I will put it up tonight. It is held on with snaps.
Accordian, your bus is beautiful. I hope mine will look as comfy.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #382
Skoolie

Quote:
Gee, I am glad I posted about the curtains. Hey Travelinwithus, You made me remember about the windshield cover that I have. Thanks. I will put it up tonight. It is held on with snaps.
Glad I could help . Hope you are staying warm down there. Looks like you are getting some snow.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #383
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoll
Quote:
Accordian, your bus is beautiful. I hope mine will look as comfy.
Shadoll, The beautiful thing about building the inside of your bus is that you can make it to suit your needs. I am sure that it will be as comfy as you imagined. I have had many motorhomes, trailers, and even a 1964 International bus. I always remodeled them to fit my needs.

With my current bus, I had a clear idea of what I wanted. I built it to accommodate my little recording studio and house my dogs and me.

If you figure out what your needs are and build it in such a way, you will be happy.

Oh, by the way, thanks for the compliment.

There are many beautiful bus builds on this forum. There are many friendly and helpful people here as well. I am glad that you are on board. Please feel free to ask any questions.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #384
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinwithus
Quote:
Glad I could help . Hope you are staying warm down there. Looks like you are getting some snow.
Travelinwithus

The snow missed us yesterday.

My Air Force Buddy lives in Racine. It does get cold there. I lived there for a few months, but when it got to be 9 degrees, I left. Do you have a wood stove in your bus? I had one in my 1964 bus. I wanted to have one in this bus, but opted for a couch.I have propane heaters and electric oil filled radiator heaters. I also wear an insulated coveralls 24-7.

It appears that you do not have to live in your bus full time.

My bus is my home, so I make do.

It is great to hear about your journeys. I did a trip last year to visit Glenn C. Driving the bus is always somewhat scary. The motor is up front and it is noisy. My bus will go 70 MPH though.

I am staying warm. Thanks for your concern.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #385
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Night bus

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #386
Bus Nut

Looks Cozy.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #387
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Looks Cozy.
It is very cozy, even if a bit chilly. I went pretty sparse on the insulation under the floor due to concerns about headroom (I'm 6'4" tall and have only 1/2" headroom as it is), and so you really have to wear shoes or slippers in the winter. I suppose I could put down rugs and that might help, but rugs would attract all manner of filth which would mess with my OCD . I like being able to sweep out the bus and have it clean. I have one small rug in the front near the stairs which can easily be taken out and beaten, and essentially acts as an entry mat. With two small space heaters I gained about 30 degrees above ambient outdoor temperature which at night translates to about 60 degrees. But yes, all the cloth features like curtains and the sofa and lots of blankets and pillows makes the bus feel more "cozy". Even the wood elements make it feel a bit warmer than would metal. My back was not too fond of sleeping on the futon mattress though. Now that I'm back in my house and sleeping on a "real" mattress, my back is much happier. If I still have this bus when the kids have grown I will try to re-configure it to have at least a queen size bed. But for now, we have fairly narrow bunks with futon mattresses. The jackknife couch in the front room folds out to about a "full size" or "double" bed, but I personally need more space than that to sleep with another person comfortably. My wife and I really enjoyed hanging out and sleeping in the bus, but I have to say, I'm also enjoying the good quality king size mattress in my usual household bedroom. I'm actually starting to consider extending the width of the bunks to accommodate a real twin size mattress on the bottom bunks, even if it means the walkway between the bunks becomes uncomfortably narrow.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #388
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
It is very cozy, even if a bit chilly. I went pretty sparse on the insulation under the floor due to concerns about headroom (I'm 6'4" tall and have only 1/2" headroom as it is), and so you really have to wear shoes or slippers in the winter.. .
Putting the insulation OUTSIDE under the floor allows us to have R-30 insulation in the floor and the floors are MUCH warmer. Even with outside temps in the 'teens, it's pretty warm inside... unless the damned wind is blowing. And we don't have the extra insulation (also providing a thermal break for the million-plus rivets) on the interior walls anywhere but in the galley & shower areas. Working on it. Hopefully insulation will completed next week.

Shoes, even slippers, are evil.

Overnight low of 25°F at around 2AM... it seems to be coldest about the time I get up in the morning to go to work.
Quote:
Weather UndergroundWednesday: High of 39°F/ Low of 27°F
Winter Weather Advisory for Wednesday...
Statement as of 3:53 PM MST on January 07, 2013

... Wintry weather possible for eastern New Mexico Wednesday
and Wednesday night...

Snow or a mix of rain and snow looks increasingly likely Wednesday
and Wednesday night across eastern New Mexico as a storm system
tracks across northern Mexico and northeastward across West Texas and
draws up moisture from the Gulf of Mexico.

Though there is high confidence that the east central and southeast
plains will receive precipitation... the dominant precipitation type
remains in question. Models continue to disagree on temperature
profiles. Much of the precipitation will fall Wednesday evening and
overnight and based on this timing... it is reasonable for any rain
that develops Wednesday afternoon to change over to a wet snow. If
this occurs... moderate snowfall accumulations are possible
from the south central mountains northeast and eastward to the
Oklahoma and Texas borders.

With the precipitation type remaining uncertain with the upcoming
storm system those planning travel or outdoor activities Wednesday
and Wednesday night across eastern New Mexico should plan ahead.
Keep up to date with the latest forecasts through NOAA Weather
Radio... on line at weather.Gov/abq... or from your preferred
broadcast... print... or internet weather information source.
I think winter is here. I'm ready for Spring.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #389
Bus Nut

I saw a bus years ago that had a full queen size bed in the back with headboard built all around the curved corners and I thought that was so cool, I've always wanted to do that. But alas. I don't want to lose the exit door so I'm putting a twin mattress across it that will be removable if I need to load anything in or out.

One other , well two other features that I liked about that old bus I saw... the bathroom was over the wheel well so you have a foot rest on the toilet. And they had the pot belly stove. I'm still debating.

I can sleep comfortably in a twin bed as it is only me and I am only 5'2. 6'4 you wouldn't even be able to stand in my bus as it is only 6' with nothing in it yet. It will definitely be cozy for me and the cat. Mini me sized.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #390
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
I saw a bus years ago that had a full queen size bed in the back with headboard built all around the curved corners and I thought that was so cool, I've always wanted to do that. But alas. I don't want to lose the exit door so I'm putting a twin mattress across it that will be removable if I need to load anything in or out..
We have an "island" full/double sized bed (our old wooden king sized cannonball 4 poster water bed frame, cut down and put back together to hold a full/double air mattress with memory foam topper. It is centered at the back exit door so we have a island bed (spent too long with a crosswise bed in the Class C... I'm getting too old to climb over David to get in/out of bed ). The bed frame is held to the floor with "L" brackets. The whole thing is removable. It has to be. The rear exit door is the only way to get large appliances (freezer, 30" range, a washer and dryer) in/our of the bus. So we took that into account in designing our layout. We will have an insulated removable panel at the headboard so that we can access storage under the mattress decking. It will take a bit of effort to remove the bed and all. But a power screwgun (we have two) makes things go faster and we will rarely need to pull the bed (and the barrel topped cedar blanket chest that sits at the foot of the bed). We have both of the old bus emergency windows in the bedroom so we still have an emergency exit. We view the rear exit as a cargo access door.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote