Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
...Putting the insulation OUTSIDE under the floor allows us to have R-30 insulation in the floor and the floors are MUCH warmer. Even with outside temps in the 'teens, it's pretty warm inside...
Oh yeah, that's right! I almost forgot about that idea. I suppose I should do that before I start hanging tanks and whatnot under the bus. So what kind of insulation are you using?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #392
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
... So what kind of insulation are you using?
David ran unfaced fiberglass batts (R-30 for attic) down the center. The bays will be lined with rigid foamboard insulation (the kind with the shiny radiant barrier on it). We will cover the fiberglass batts with metal or plastic roofing panels. Took two rolls. Cost was about $25. We still need to pick up a can of spray foam and fill in the gaps between the frame rails and the floor. Even so, the floors are still cold but I can walk around barefoot without my feet turning blue. Like so many other things, we are finding a mix of materials to be working out best for performance and the budget.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #393
Mini-Skoolie

Phew finally finished reading this thread...Bus turned out great so far!
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #394
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Any fiberglass insulation installed better be protected from rodent intrusion. Those critters make a piss and **** brick out of fiberglass insulation.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #395
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Any fiberglass insulation installed better be protected from rodent intrusion. Those critters make a piss and **** brick out of fiberglass insulation.
Naw, REALLY! Just how stupid do you think we are? You probably don't remember me posting about the RV that parked next to us last winter and dripped mice! Even got one inside. Had another one get inside the bus in December. Due to nasty weather and/or David not feeling well, we haven't be able to get under the bus and work on it. It will get either metal (cheap) or fiberglass sheets (a lot more than metal but easier to cut therefore faster to install). The area cats tend to keep the mouse population down. I have noticed that when we get "new" neighbors close by, we tend to run the risk of having mice. I suspect it's because they are in RV's that get stored over a period of time. I keep mouse traps "armed" 24/7. I don't like mice and I sure don't like rats.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #396
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider
Phew finally finished reading this thread...Bus turned out great so far!
This is turning into quite a lengthy thread, isn't it. I just looked back at my first post and realized it's been over three years I've been working on this thing! That's just crazy. Hopefully this thread will soon turn into more stories about how much fun I'm having in the bus and less about my painfully slow progress in getting the thing done.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #397
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Keep up the good work Dan! You will get there. And once you think you have it all finished, some other little project will pop up. It's a lovely never ending cycle.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #398
Bus Crazy

Hey y'all, long time, no post. I don't have any pics handy (sorry!) but I washed my bus today for the first time in a very long while. It had all sorts of mold growing and it was just filthy. It took me pretty much an entire day of scrubbing with a mixture of Simple Green, bleach and water to get the thing looking good again. Now I'm inspired to paint the rub rails finally. I like the white bus/dark green rails combo, and that is what I will be doing. I also want to paint my wheels with Rustoleum Hammered Silver. I will leave the hubs and lug nuts black mainly because I think the silver will not stick well and will chip off those areas, but I think it will look good. As I washed the bus I dislodged some white paint in a few crevices of the front grill where the white paint just didn't stick very well, so I will also need to do some touch-up work there. Of course I have higher priority things to take care of, primarily plumbing and WVO conversion, and hope to make progress on the plumbing over spring break. We may also take a little camping trip somewhere nearby over spring break, so hopefully I'll have some pics to share in the near future. Oh yeah, I also built a cabinet and speakers for the front "bulkhead" area and figured a way to mount my stereo. I'm 90% finished with that job, so once I finish I'll post some pics.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #399
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: DT466E

Great build!!! thanks for sharing!

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK TOO!!!
https://www.facebook.com/NilesSkoolie
NilesSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #400
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Hi Dan, just looking over your bus(great build btw) anyway I was wondering if you can (if you have the time) take a few more pictures of your hitch, Im interested the drop tube, how it fits under the bumper, Im still figuring out mine, I like to get class 4 so I can pull a car, i know the ford cab-chassie might fit 34" frame, but I might end up haveing one made.
tks
gbstewart

(only if you can )