Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #451
Bus Crazy
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Originally Posted by orangepeel91
that's a heck of a surprise when you didn't know what show was on.
I can totally see that scene - here you are thinking you've stumbled across the holy grail of adolescent fantasy, then all of a sudden... wha?!!
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #452
Year: 2001
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 16
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

I said it before , I'll say it again.
I've never been so grateful for black and white tv in my life.
The miracle of birth doesn't faze me in the least-- when I know it's coming.
I see far more blood and guts than that at work fairly regularly.
orangepeel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #453
Bus Crazy
Well, it's been over a year since I posted anything here. I've been busy with other projects and life in general, and my bus has just been sitting in the driveway. I've toyed with the idea of selling it, but haven't had the heart to do it. My current plan is to try renting it out on "AirB&B" and see if people are interested in hanging out in it for a weekend, perhaps during one of the big festivals/events that happen several times a year here in Austin, TX. The bus is a cool asset to have, and as long as I can put it to work somehow, I'd like to hang on to it. My family has had many good times in the bus, and even though I'm thinking of downsizing my camping apparatus to a small trailer I can pull behind my minivan, the bus is still something I want to hang on to.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #454
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
You don't hang out with your little girl in it anymore?

It moving for me would not be a reason to let it go. As long as your still enjoying it inside.

Glad to hear from you.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:18 AM   #455
Bus Crazy
My family has not been camping in the bus lately. We've reverted back to tent camping. Also, I renovated my 2-car garage and made it into 1/2 office/hangout zone, 1/2 shop. So now I have a new and improved man-cave, and the bus no longer serves that purpose. The idea now is to use the bus as a sort of out-building/cottage that can be rented out on the weekends. And then of course if I keep it running, it is also useful for hauling stuff and just being a fun vehicle to take out to the local park on a weekend. But it has to earn it's keep! Occasional fun is not a good enough reason to maintain a huge machine like that, and have it taking up space on my property. If we aren't using it much, then it needs to at least be making some money!
Old 09-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #456

Either way you decide on the issue of keeping or selling the Magic Bus, it has been a pleasure reading about your adventure. I am impressed with your skills with woodworking, even if you are not too sure about them. As many have commented in the past, your stairs (prior to their resurface with bed liner) were a piece of art ... simply beautiful.

Perhaps, you could use the Magic Bus as a learning tool for youths in the area. There are a lot of skills that you could impart which would be useful for their entire life. Maybe a project for a Scouting Troop. Heck, you might like it enough to start from scratch with such a group, teaching them how to use the resources they can gather and work within the constraints the bus enforces. It would make a fantastic Eagle Scout project.

By the way, did you get the plumbing and WVO systems installed?

Native P-)
Native is offline   Reply With Quote