Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

LOOKIN GOOD!!

BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Dont forget the pics! I am just calculating the final sizes for my window skins, then its my turn! I just realized that the emergency exit windows are 1/2" shorter than the others....I thought they were all the same size....good thing I pulled one out and checked.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #83
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

For the past few nights I've been installing insulation on the walls. Maybe I'm overdoing it, but I'm using liquid nails to glue them on. I will have a 1/2" air space between the insulation and the wall paneling, so I don't want them getting loose in there. I'm using extension poles to press the insulation onto the walls while the glue dries:

I also etched and primed the galvanized sheet metal pieces I had made to cover the windows I will be skinning:

I only primered the inside, so I can get them installed tomorrow. After installation I will primer the outside. I'm going to take the day off work so I can get some stuff done. I better get some sleep now so I can get an early start!
Attached Thumbnails
gluing wall insulation.jpg   window skins primered on inside.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Windows skinned

So I accomplished my goal yesterday of getting the windown skins on. I held the skins in place with clamps and then used the existing holes from the screws I removed from the pillars to attach the skins. For the bottom, I marked the hole locations and pre-drilled holes. For the rest, I drilled from the inside through the existing holes. I used seld-tapping roofing screws with rubber grommets. They are a bit "chunky" looking, but I'm okay with that. Main thing is they are very secure and will not leak. For the skins that covered two windows, I used aluminum rivets in the middle so they would blend in better.

Attached Thumbnails
pass side skinned2.jpg   driver side skinned2.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #85
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

As my dad would have said, "No Flys on that" Nice work on the window skins DD!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #86
Skoolie

They look great. The fit looks very smooth.
Jackie
Mulelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #87
Bus Crazy

RE: Window skins

Thanks guys! The pics were actually taken half way through the job, but the finished look is about the same except with a few more screws and the rivets. I still haven't caulked because it rained after I got them in, and I haven't attached the tops of the skins yet. I'll post some more pics when it's completely done. It's been rainy and cold and windy today, so I couldn't get much done. My goal for next week is to get the skins completely done and also finish insulating the walls. I'll need to run some wiring before I start putting the luan up on the walls. I can't believe it's already time to start laying out the wiring plan!

BTW, I just put my wheelchair lift up on Ebay with a starting bid of $200. We'll see if I get any takers. It wasn't selling on craigslist. I suppose I should post the lift in the skoolie classifieds as well...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #88
Bus Crazy

Finished window skin attachment

Well, I got rained out tonight. I was all ready to finish attaching the tops of the window skins, but it's pouring rain outside.

I do have pics of one finished skin though. Here is how I attached the top on the inside using a piece of angle iron as a bracket:

You can see how I used the existing holes in the pillars to attach the skins, and then screwed in the bracket.

And here is what it looks like on the outside. The angle iron was just big enough to allow me to put the screws (actually for this part I used little nuts/bolts with lock washers) under the rain drip edge:

Attached Thumbnails
window skin inside closeup2.jpg   window skin outside closeup2.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #89
Bus Crazy

Sorry to hear that the rain slowed you down, but the pics you have of the one skin look good. Using the old holes in the pillars makes the new skin look like it belongs there. Hopefully it will dry out soon and we will get to see more pics of all the skins. Nice work there.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #90
Bus Crazy

My goal for last week was to finish attaching the window skins and put up insulation. I did get the skins finished - attached the tops and caulked the seams all around. I also did some other caulking around other windows that looked like they needed it. I decided to wait on insulating the skins until I'm ready to build around those areas.

Last night I spend some time insulating the front firewall, and taking measurements and laying out the front hutch I'm going to build over the engine cover area. The hutch will give me an area for cup holders, munchies, maps (or perhaps a GPS), and other brick-a-brack. I'm going to add insulation to the inside of the hutch so it will also help to muffle the engine noise. The hutch is going to be about 40" across the front, extending from the gas pedal over to the heater near the door, and will actually cover part of the heater that is just a flat surface. I haven't figured out yet how I will make the hutch easily removable for engine access.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Just from the looks of the bus and surroundings, do you live in west or south Austin. Lived there for 4 years and loved it. Off E 38 1/2 st and then Bastrop. Just asking.
bus is looking good.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #92
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by putterspitt
Just from the looks of the bus and surroundings, do you live in west or south Austin. Lived there for 4 years and loved it. Off E 38 1/2 st and then Bastrop. Just asking.
bus is looking good.
Good eye! Yes, I actually live in southwest Austin, or actually a couple miles outside the city limits. Been out here for around 12 years and lived in the city for several years prior to that. Love it! Doin' my part to "Keep Austin Weird".

Attached Thumbnails
Keep_Austin_weird.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #93
Bus Crazy

Bus looks good...there is a driver I work with who is originally from Austin...I'll send her back to do my part to keep your beautiful city weird
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #94
Bus Crazy

Update: hutch and stairs

Man, my project fell off the first page of the forum... that means I gotta post something! So progress has been slow. I've been working on some non-priority things, I guess 'cause they're more fun? Anyway, I'm almost done with the stairs...

So I plan to stain the whole stairwell, steps and trim the same color, then put several coats of eggshell polyurethane. I figure the various shades of darker and lighter wood will still be distinct from each other and yet the stain will pull it all together.
Attached Thumbnails
stairs construction.jpg   stairs with trim.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

I'm also building a hutch/cabinet thing to go over the engine cover. I still need to add some more trim, a rail around the top edge to keep things from rolling off, and then stain/polyurethane. I insulated the inside with 1/2" foam insulation. I think the engine noise is reduced, and the heat less noticeable.

You can also see a bit of the laminate flooring I am using. It's a cherry color.

Lastly, I scored some free paneling on craigslist. Enough to do the whole bus! (Thanks, Cara!)

Attached Thumbnails
hutch unfinished.jpg   paneling free.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #96
Bus Crazy

WVO parts acquired

Oh yeah, I also scored some parts for my WVO system. I got a huge 150 gallon aluminum diesel tank from a dump truck. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it though because I think it will only have about 6" or 7" clearance from the ground when mounted. I want to put it right behind the battery box on the driver's side. Here is the monster:

I also got a Racor 12v heated fuel filter with water seperator, extra filters, inline pump, a 6-way Pollack fuel selector valve with switch and wiring, and some heater hose. All used from craigslist again.

So far I'm only into the WVO system for about $350 and all I need now is a tank heater/heated fuel pickup, another 12v inline heater to put just before the injection pump, and some assorted tubing and fittings. It looks like I'll come in well under $1,000 on the WVO system.
Attached Thumbnails
wvo tank.jpg   wvo parts2.jpg  
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 05-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #97
Bus Crazy

DD,
Beautiful work on the steps and the cabinet. The woodwork looks nice and really maks the entry pop!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #98
Bus Crazy

Got some 6v house batteries today

Someone on craigslist was parting out a golf cart and I got the 6 batteries for $200. The cart was running and the seller claimed they were all good and that two of them were "like new". I noticed that a few of them have slightly bowed looking sides, as if some internal pressure has made them balloon out. It's not that dramatic, but it makes me a little nervous. Has anyone encountered this phenomenon? Would some malfunction cause this, or did the plastic just get deformed by the Texas heat? I figured for that price I would take my chances. I could see that at least two of the batteries had a 2007 date on them. What is the typical lifespan of these things? I will probably use 4 of them in the bus, and the other 2 will power various things I use in the garage for pumping WVO and such.

Did I mention I also scored a brand new 15,000BTU Carrier rooftop air conditioner the other week? For $300 I think I got a great deal. It doesn't have the inside assembly though.

I also bought a bunch of electrical supplies like romex, outlets, switches, breaker box, etc. So mostly all I need to complete the electrical system is a battery charger, inverter, and generator. Oh, and the time to actually install all this stuff! I may wait on the generator, since my only need for that is running the AC while on the road in the summer. I don't think we'll take a major trip this year though.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #99
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Got some 6v house batteries today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
... I noticed that a few of them have slightly bowed looking sides, as if some internal pressure has made them balloon out. It's not that dramatic, but it makes me a little nervous. Has anyone encountered this phenomenon? Would some malfunction cause this, or did the plastic just get deformed by the Texas heat? ...
Usually when I see a battery that is bulging it is caused from freezing. A dead battery left out in the winter can freeze, expand inside, and cause the case to bulge. Not sure what your weather is like in Texas in the winter, but a freezing battery seems unlikely to me in Texas. Best way to prevent freezing is to keep them charged up, a fully charged battery will not freeze. Hopefully they all work out good for you, that is one heck of a good deal, even if you only get 4 good ones!!!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #100
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: Got some 6v house batteries today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Someone on craigslist was parting out a golf cart and I got the 6 batteries for $200. The cart was running and the seller claimed they were all good and that two of them were "like new". I noticed that a few of them have slightly bowed looking sides, as if some internal pressure has made them balloon out. It's not that dramatic, but it makes me a little nervous. Has anyone encountered this phenomenon? Would some malfunction cause this, or did the plastic just get deformed by the Texas heat? I figured for that price I would take my chances. I could see that at least two of the batteries had a 2007 date on them. What is the typical lifespan of these things? I will probably use 4 of them in the bus, and the other 2 will power various things I use in the garage for pumping WVO and such.

Did I mention I also scored a brand new 15,000BTU Carrier rooftop air conditioner the other week? For $300 I think I got a great deal. It doesn't have the inside assembly though.

I also bought a bunch of electrical supplies like romex, outlets, switches, breaker box, etc. So mostly all I need to complete the electrical system is a battery charger, inverter, and generator. Oh, and the time to actually install all this stuff! I may wait on the generator, since my only need for that is running the AC while on the road in the summer. I don't think we'll take a major trip this year though.
Are the batteries similar to a normal car battery? If so go to AutoZone and have them check to see if you have a dead cell. If not do a voltage check with a voltometer. See if you have less than 10 volts. If so, put the battery on the slowest chage and in a well ventilated area (preferably outside in the evening) and let the battery drip charge overnight and check while using a face shield and rubber gloves, among other acid protecting equipment, in the morning (just in case there is a discharge of acid). If you get the smell of rotten eggs before checking the battery, don't bother checking because it's bad.