Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Paint Schemes

By the way, thanks for your responses. I'm not too worried about the heat if the green is mainly just on the hood, although I guess the heat could get conducted through the metal further back down the bus. I also like the white with green accents, and I think that would be the easiest and cheapest to accomplish with minimal chance of screw-ups. But I think the green nose & stripes on a white field is also pretty cool looking. The Rustoleum green is darker, but perhaps I could get Home Depot to mix a lighter color for me? I know they mix latex house paint, but would they mix colors with the Rustoleum paints? I suppose I'll just ask them.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #62
Bus Crazy

Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
DD, just mix some white Rustoleum into it.

Smitty
I wonder what amount I would need to use before I start changing the color? Is it just a few drops? Or would I be measuring it out in milliliters or even ounces?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #63
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

I think if you stay away from blacks and dark blues you will be fine. Greens are very appealing to the eye. IMHO anything but the darkest greens are going to be fine. I dont think there will be that much difference between white and, say, "grass green." I'm prolly going with two shades of grey. The lighter grey being the dominant/base color.

Any idea on what product you will be using? I have been looking into single stage and two stage paints the last few days. There are so many opinions I am at a loss. Vehicle paint can get expensive real quick, especially for a 37 footer.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

I've heard generally positive things about Rustoleum paint. I plan to use Rustoleum green and white, or some mix of the the two. I will start with a coat of kilz white primer, then one coat of the Rustoleum and I'm done. I will likely apply it with foam rollers, and mix 1 pint of acetone with each gallon of paint to thin it down so it will spread easier and not show brush strokes in the areas where I have to use a brush. I will just have to watch out for runs.

But then the theme of my bus is sort of a funky-camper-homemade-skoolie kind of thing. I'm not trying to make it look polished and perfect. I hope to make up for the defects in my workmanship with campy charm.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Oh man don't let them mix paint for you. I asked about it and the cost skyrockets.
Keep in mind that if you use rustoleum that you do not want it shaken! Everything I've read on using it advises it be slowly hand stirred to avoid air bubbles.

Love the girl's design. My own wants something similar, I veto'd her and will be going rustoleum hunter green.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Cant you just put the can in a warming pad and tap the side to get the air bubbles out?
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

DD, I don't see any "defects in the workmanship". Everything coming along nice and I like the paint schemes the kids came up with. My dad did a conversion when I was only 8...some of the best memories of my life...bet your kids will have the same
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
DD, I don't see any "defects in the workmanship". Everything coming along nice and I like the paint schemes the kids came up with. My dad did a conversion when I was only 8...some of the best memories of my life...bet your kids will have the same
The defects will become apparent when I start doing carpentry - just you wait! Yeah, the kids are pretty stoked about the bus, and my younger son especially want's to help with the work. The older boy is more artistic than mechanical, so he'll probably want to add some of his artistry come painting time. The girl is a bit young yet for helping much, but she has creative input for sure.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Bypassing door interlocks

Last night a friend of mine came over to help me figure out how to bypass the five push-button switches that either cause buzzers to sound or disable the starter if a door is open. We also bypassed the switch that causes the flashers and stop sign to activate if the front door is opened while the bus is running. Honestly I didn't follow everything he was doing, but some of them needed to just be cut, others needed wires shorted together, and still another needed one wire grounded and one cut. I'm glad to have a friend who is an electrical engineer!

I've also been making progress on the flooring, and will have pics to post soon. I would be done by now, but had to work around the wheelchair lift, moving it back and forth to get all the areas done. I'm currently working on the last 5 feet or so behind the rear wheel wells. Everthing else is rust converted, painted, Red Rosin-ed, insulated and sheeted with plywood.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
I'm glad to have a friend who is an electrical engineer!
Electrical engineering is a sickness. Given a choice between a soft seat and a beer, or the chance to put a meter on your wires to figure out what the guy who put it together was thinking, and the toolbox will come out every time!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote