Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Diesel Dan's Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
I'm glad to have a friend who is an electrical engineer!
Electrical engineering is a sickness. Given a choice between a soft seat and a beer, or the chance to put a meter on your wires to figure out what the guy who put it together was thinking, and the toolbox will come out every time!
As it turned out, he got to have his beer and his wiring puzzle too!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

It may sound crazy, but I reverse-engineered my bus's electrical system almost as soon as I got it. I opened up the panel and removed everything that would be unnecessary. No more blinky's, no more buzzers (thank goodness), fixed the electric portion of my brake system, etc. Now that all the wiring is cleaned up, and the switches are moved to a more ergonomic position, I don't mind working with the wiring. More than once I had to wonder what the hell the guys were thinking that wired up the bus!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #73
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Im kinda dreading getting into that. I like wiring stuff up but i do not care for figuring out someone else's "good idea" even with a schematic.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

One of the things I thought was strange is that the tail lights, and lower marker lights come on with the headlight switch, but there is a separate switch on another part of the dash that turns on the marker lights at the top. Why wouldn't these all come on together with the headlight switch? I am not going to run some and not others...it just means I need to turn on two switches...if I don't forget. I may be rewiring this.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #75
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
It may sound crazy, but I reverse-engineered my bus's electrical system almost as soon as I got it. . . . . More than once I had to wonder what the hell the guys were thinking that wired up the bus!
That's one of the sanest thing's to do. Now you can maintain it. You don't want a mechanic doing the wondering for you at $$$ per hour.

Quote:
One of the things I thought was strange is that the tail lights, and lower marker lights come on with the headlight switch, but there is a separate switch on another part of the dash that turns on the marker lights at the top. Why wouldn't these all come on together with the headlight switch?
One thing professional drivers do is to blink the markers off to say 'Thank You' if a vehicle being passed signals that it's clear to pull back into the driving lane. Although in the last couple of years, I've sometimes seen 4-way flashers briefly lighted instead.

I could picture running through a campground or on a forest road without the markers lighted, but it would be a rare occasion. YMMV

The other thing I could picture is trying to get off the highway at night after an alternator/belt failure, and dumping the markers to try and extend the battery power to the head and tail lights.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Flooring Progress

As mentioned previously, I'm finally making progress on the floor. Here is what it looked like after I caulked all the holes from the wheelchair plates and seats:

Here are my boys helping with the rosin paper and 1/4" insulation sheathing:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor primer and caulk2.jpg (98.6 KB, 923 views)
File Type: jpg floor rosin paper insulation2.jpg (96.2 KB, 926 views)
File Type: jpg floor insulation install2.jpg (99.7 KB, 921 views)
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

First piece of plywood goes in:

We actually got a little sprinkling of snow here in Central Texas:

Which reminds me... when we were playing with the wiring, I fired up the bus for the first time in probably 3 months and it started up instantly and was just purring contentedly. Well, okay, I suppose diesels don't really purr. So it was clackety-clacking contentedly. Wonderful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor first plywood2.jpg (76.7 KB, 921 views)
File Type: jpg winter bus3-2.jpg (176.2 KB, 921 views)
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

Subfloor is in, windows are out

I finally got the subfloor done and bought some laminate/resilient flooring that I haven't put down yet. I also started screwing some furring strips on the walls and managed to remove the windows I will be skinning. The first window took a long time to get out, but then once I figured out the removal strategy the rest came out faster. I'm leaving the front 3 windows in on both sides, then removing 2 and another 1 where the kitchen and bunk area will be. I'm leaving one window in the middle of each bunk for ventilation and light (The bunks will straddle the wheel humps and will double as a passenger area), and I'm also leaving the farthest back window in where the toilet will be so as to vent any noxious fumes.

I scored some angle iron for free on craigslist. Some sort of shipping crate somebody was giving away. I plan to use it for several things, but first will be a support to attach the top of the window skins to.

I'll also use it to frame the edges of the entry stairs once I finish them out.

Next steps are to finish the furring strips around the walls, and get insulation put up on the walls. I also plan to get the windows skinned, hopefully next week, since I can't really finish the walls until those are in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subfloor in driver windows out2.jpg (95.2 KB, 880 views)
File Type: jpg truckload of angle iron2.jpg (102.4 KB, 880 views)
File Type: jpg angle iron to secure window skin2.jpg (61.4 KB, 879 views)
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

Sheet metal purchased - sprayer question

Picked up my custom cut sheetmetal pieces for the window skins this morning from the sheet metal shop. Great thing about living in/near a major city is access to most anything you need to buy. It cost me $135 to get skins for 6 windows. I'm taking the day off from work on Thursday and hope to get them installed. Meantime, I need to get them primed. Of course since I removed my windows it's been raining the past two days. It's supposed to dry out tomorrow, so everything should be good and dry for Thursday. I'm going to go to Harbor Freight tonight and pick up this sprayer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93305

What's weird to me is that although this one is listed as "HVLP" the other one just like it, with the same specs is not listed as "HVLP":

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93312
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Progress looks great DD...you'll have those windows covered in no time.