Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by headinthetrees View Post
Nice bus. Wish you luck on your project. Just remember 14 gauge is meant for light loads not running any serious appliances. Fine with those 15 amp breakers, not with that 20a.
Sorry, i will clear up some confusion...

The 15 amp breakers are the branch circuts and the 20 amp is the main imput one. I know 30 would be ideal but the bus wont be all fancy, all i will have is microwave and fridge and i only have a 3000 watt generator any way.

Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #22
Skoolie

For sure, just making sure you weren't undersizing your wire. You might run into issues running the microwave and the fridge at the same time over a 20amp feed, but that depends on their size.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Up here in centeral canada the snow has finially melted, but i cannot complain. This last winter was one of the mildest I can remember.
All the snow had melted off the feild where i park the bus...except for a 3 foot tall rock hard snow drift encircling the bus.

The bus batteries were a little low so i jumped them with another battery, unfortunaly there were no pictures taken. The bus started preaty well, but as usuall it was smokier than i shought it should have been.

I made progress with the clearance marker lights not working.
I removed the wiring raceway until i came to a marker light, the marker lights are wired using plain white wire.

The wire was traced through the swich panel until i found the conection (note: one wire runs the marker lights forward of the driver, the other one rear)
Dispite not being used since it was in school bus service, there is a surprising number of spliced wires, taped conections, and even some extension cord wire running up into the dashboard!

The circut got hotwired with a booster pack to test the wiring harness

This last picture is of the second bus. It was going to be spare parts and storage, however the plan now is to convert it to suit the needs of 4 people and the original bus to sleep 1-2 people. The second bus or "Dirty canadian II" has the exact same engine (T444e tuned to 175hp) and transmision (5 speed Spicer) but was a wheel chair bus.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Sweet, a two for one special.

I'm watching.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #25
Bus Nut

I have to confess something....

These are not my busses. The busses belong to a close friend who also owns the land they sit on. I am helping the owner convert them, and I get to use the busses sometimes (and the land).

I am in high school, that is why I sometimes seem inexperienced. I originally left that and that I don't own the busses out because often people don't take me seriously because of my age.

Seriously, I get laughed at and ignored at auto part, hard wear...ect stores. It's not like I'm full of **** either, I usually have a clue.

I hope to some day live off grid with my shop and a bus. I guess you could call this practice.

I suppose you are wondering why I'm saying this now? I like the truth that's why.
I just HATE not being totally honest.
Everything should be 100% true now.
No BS.

I hope that I have not lost anyone's trust or anything. Every thing I have said mechanically or the like is true.
I never meant any harm, I just.... I don't know.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Hey man, good on ya! I wish I had such an opportunity during my high-school years.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Just a note on your automobile, you should check your PCV system. PCV stands for (positive crankcase ventilation) It is a system that keeps a slight vacuum on the crankcase by pulling all of the gases that blow by the piston rings out and returning them back through the intake. If the the pcv valve gets plugged up with sludge it will create a pressure on the crankcase and start oil blowing back up past the rings as they are designed for the slight vacuum on the crankcase. 80% of the cars that we worked on for oil usage were repaired with a new PCV valve with a few more that had plugged hoses or pcv tubes.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:41 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank's P-O-S View Post
I have to confess something....

These are not my busses. The busses belong to a close friend who also owns the land they sit on. I am helping the owner convert them, and I get to use the busses sometimes (and the land).

I am in high school, that is why I sometimes seem inexperienced. I originally left that and that I don't own the busses out because often people don't take me seriously because of my age.

Seriously, I get laughed at and ignored at auto part, hard wear...ect stores. It's not like I'm full of **** either, I usually have a clue.

I hope to some day live off grid with my shop and a bus. I guess you could call this practice.

I suppose you are wondering why I'm saying this now? I like the truth that's why.
I just HATE not being totally honest.
Everything should be 100% true now.
No BS.

I hope that I have not lost anyone's trust or anything. Every thing I have said mechanically or the like is true.
I never meant any harm, I just.... I don't know.
You're probably much cooler and more level headed than I was at your age.

No worries, bud.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #29
Bus Geek

More pics. ;)

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 03-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Hopefully there were pictures in my fixing the lights post. I was on a different computer earlier and there were no pictures, but on my laptop all seems fine.....huh.

Here is something that I worked on yesterday. We needed to make some battery cables, but if you have ever priced out terminals for them....you know. Pig Iron P.A. (otherwise known a Princess Auto) wanted something like $10 a pair! Goodness knows that I cannot afford that.

1 hour later and some old 1/2 inch copper pipe some one had painted and ijust saved myself $60.

Here shows what the 1 1/2 inch pcs. of pipe looked mostly formed on a 1/2 inch bolt. The flattened contour eventiallt got rounded to make them look more store bought

The forming "process"

Removeing the formed pipe from the bolt

curring a slit into the copper

The finished product!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Very cool, I love making my own stuff when I can. Way to save money!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Good work!
Keep it up.
Where in Manitoba are you?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N View Post
Good work!
Keep it up.
Where in Manitoba are you?
The bus is between Tyndall and Beausejour.
No specifics...I'd have to kill ya :P
Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Looks like you found your calling. You could be making a profit from some old copper pipe and labor time.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Nice.

Thx for sharing.

Nat

Old 04-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #36
Bus Nut

As usual, it seems that it takes far longer to do anything than it sould.
At some point Keys were lost and our ride home got stuck....
The interior of Dirty Canadian just keeps getting worse. We bolted in a dresser thing in front of the bed. It was too wide and hung over into the walkway beside the bed. This is what the owner of the bus wanted though....
Dirty canadian II is going to be done my way.

The CB got mounted....with the handy-mans secret wepon.
Yeah, i forgot the mounting bracket....there seems to be a comon theme here.

Brand new 3000 watt power inverter and solar charge controller.

Dirty canadian has this extra fuel filter....#2 doesent

The bus looks preatty big from this angle.

This picture was taken while standing on the roof of dirty canadian.
That Uhaul there is what we were going to get rail road ties with to make a parking pad....until we got it REALLY stuck. 50000 lb recovery strap here we come!
The bus Waaaay in the distence is dirty canadian II

This is whats inside Dirty Canadian II right now.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Thanks for the pics.

Nat

Old 07-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #38
Bus Nut

NOTE: From now on I Will refer to "Dirty Canadian" the green bus and "Dirty Canadian II" as the white bus.

Now, actual news...

Not a lot has happened to the buses since the last update, nothing actually, i just figured that i would show what i have been up to.

First off I was away for 3 weeks. Some of you might know where this is...

First I did some work for a framing nailer and a sheeting stapler. This occupied 2 weekends.

And then I had to demolish my old playhouse

Here is news in relation to the buses.
The plan for the green bus is... It will Get re tuned to 210 hp, a cooling system upgrade, 345 watts of solar power and have the inside reworked some and a store bought 15000 lbs hitch so it can tow this... (with a Tacoma inside!)

All the way to south America!
(not with me, the actual owner of all this stuff will)

And yes, we towed it with a 4runner in 4 extra low
don't worry only across the field!
Speaking of busses and four runners, you might ask " why did you not get work done in 2 trips to where the busses are parked?"
I was cutting and skidding trees to make a new parking spot for the red trailer and the uhaul. Took down around 15 trees and skidded them with the 4 runner and a piece of chain. Made almost 50 kmh through the feild doing that!

For the white bus a hitch taken from a Toyota 4Runner will be cut and re-welded to fit.
I will probably talk mostly about the white bus from now on as this is the bus I will be using.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Hey, another canuck here. Out of curiosity curiosity, what made the old '69 a POS? I might be buying one tomorrow night, here in Calgary so different unit. So if there's something big I should know about, besides rot from road salt, I'd like to know.
Longrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrun View Post
Hey, another canuck here. Out of curiosity curiosity, what made the old '69 a POS? I might be buying one tomorrow night, here in Calgary so different unit. So if there's something big I should know about, besides rot from road salt, I'd like to know.
What made it a pos?
The rot from salt and the kicker.... 301 gasser and a 3 speed auto!
It needed tires, breaks, batteries, gauges.... The list went on!