Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Don's Bus

Cheap labor... Paid in Chocolate Milk...

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Nice lookin bus!

I would offer these suggestions:
1. Scroll thru all the other conversions as soon as possible. It saves you making some mistakes that will come back to haunt you.( Like don't throw away or recycle ALL the seat frames, you just might want to use one from each side to create the dinning room benches)

2. Learn to accept the fact that rivets suck. This one will be plain to you when or if you take off the interior panels.

3. Get the grinder, if you don't already have one, because it will be REAL nice to have it soon.

Welcome to the site, it is a wealth of knowledge offered by some of the friendliest people I have chatted with.

Please keep posting, we all learn from each other.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Bus Nut

welcome to the BEST Skoolie site on the big WWW
Hope you're having fun with your conversion and get to spend some good building time (building bus and relationship) with your son.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

the buzzer could be any of the windows, rear or side door open. Or the handle not all the way closed. or the airbrakes, but i would check the windows and doors first.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Hard lesson learned...When you get an alarm buzzer going off in your ear, and your not sure what it is and it won't go out....back away from the hammer and do not give in to the impulse to shut it off the easy way!

On a serious note, I had one of those going for a while. My back door sensor had stuck and it thought my door was open. I disconnected the sensor, cleaned it and put back in. Problem solved. could also be an air leak somewhere is not letting tanks fill all the way. On most systems if you don't get past 65lbs, it isn't going to go off. Can you move the bus when it is buzzing? also, will your airbrake knob push in and stay? knob will usually not stay in if enough air isn't built up.

Keep on playing with it while wearing ear muffs.

As you have probably noticed, If you post an issue here, you will be flooded with possible answers to the problem as well as many different ideas as to how to fix. I love it here!

Welcome to the insanely wonderful world of bussin.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonW
Hey! DonW here.

And PLEASE!!!! if anyone has ANY suggestions I would absolutely LOVE to hear them. I will be poking around and stealing ideas from all of you.
Suggestion #1: Buy a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Bus seat bolts cut like butter with a cut-off blade and you don't have to share beer with the guy you have underneath the bus holding the wrench..... no "other guy" necessary when you have your trusty 4 1/2" angle grinder!!

Suggestion #2 Buy a big fan to put in the bus while you're working. Cools you off and gets the smoke and smells out quick.

Welcome to the forum! Tells us where you found her and what she cost you.
And some tunes!
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins

I used the original stereo area ... used dremel to cut out carefully to a snug size ... my stereo new came with a template to cut out to match. I measured several times but still tough with a dremel tool.
Becareful with the OEM speaker wiring...it believe its wired in series ( is that right?) you should check the wiring before you just wire up to your new car stereo....
My OEM wiring was problematic to my install so... I ran new wires and installed new speakers in the same speaker holes....

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Looking great, Don!

I particularly like how you arched along the ceiling - don't see too many people using that technique anymore, and it really works quite well!

Please continue to keep us posted on your progress!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonW
Thanks, although I thought I invented that!
That technique was used a lot up through the early to mid 1900's in homes and businesses.

A number of years ago, I had the wonderful opportunity of dismantling a small, early 1900's (circa 1910 - 15) railroad station for the lumber (first generation solid, straight as an arrow, hand-hewn to smooth-as-a-baby's skin 24" x 24" x 30' timbers, full dimension 2 x 4's (not 1-1/2 x 3-1/2's), etc., and more great stuff like antiques and treasures), and found that all the arches in the station were done that way.

It was really cool to see how they constructed it (the station) back then. Over the years, they added electricity and I got all kinds of old ceramic insulators that they used in routing the wiring throughout the structure and through beams and framing.

I learned a LOT about minimalist artisan carpentry and more from that dismantling project. It was GREAT!

Quote:
More pictures posted today.
Keep up the momentum, and keep 'em coming! I never get tired of looking at projects, there's always something to glean and apply to the next project.